Get a free account in less than 60 seconds. ?
Music album sales in the United States from 2008 to 2012, by genre (in millions)
|Christian / Gospel*||29.79||27.82||24.23||23.73||22.9|
|Dance / Electronic**||0||0||8.74||10.05||8.7|
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
The statistic above presents data on music album sales in the United States from 2008 to 2012, broken down by genre. In 2012, 8.1 million jazz albums were sold in the U.S. The most popular genre of the year was rock with 102.5 million sold albums. Country music is still very popular in the United States: in 2011, 44.6 million country albums were sold, outselling such genres as metal, rap or latin. Here you can find out which genres reported largest growth over the last 4 years.
Additional info: music album sales in the U.S. by genre
With regard to the number of albums sold, rock music was unquestionably the most popular music genre in the United States in 2012. Rock albums outsold the second bestselling genre—alternative music—almost twice over. Rock was also one of the few genres to report an increase in sales in 2012.
But it would not be quite right to name rock America’s favorite type of music—when asked directly, most Americans said country was their preferred music style. Rock came in second during this survey, trailing country by less than one percent.
It might also come as a surprise that country even ranks highly among teenagers and college students. When asked to name which genre they would pick, if they only could listen to one type for the rest of their lives, more than 15 percent of Americans aged 13 to 19 years said country. The result was second only to pop music. Based on social media activity, country is also the second favorite genre of college students in the U.S.
- Distribution of music album sales in the U.S. 2012-2013, by genreDistribution of music album sales in the U.S. 2012-2013, by genre
- Number of digital music album downloads in the United States from 2004 to 2013Number of digital music album downloads in the United States from 2004 to 2013
- Music album sales in the U.S. 2007-2014Music album sales in the U.S. 2007-2014
- Year-over-year change of album sales in the U.S. 2009-2013, by genreYear-over-year change of album sales in the U.S. 2009-2013, by genre
- Retail value of digital album sales in the United States from 2004 to 2013Retail value of digital album sales in the United States from 2004 to 2013
- Daily active users of the most popular Facebook games as of October 2014Daily active users of the most popular Facebook games as of October 2014
- Weekend box office revenue - October 17-19, 2014Weekend box office revenue - October 17-19, 2014
- Weekly box office revenue in India - October 12-18, 2014Weekly box office revenue in India - October 12-18, 2014
- Reasons for declining magazine readership in the United Kingdom (UK) 2012Reasons for declining magazine readership in the United Kingdom (UK) 2012
- Market Research: Global distribution of revenues by method of surveyMarket Research: Global distribution of revenues by method of survey
- Leading online video games worldwide 2013Leading online video games worldwide 2013