Number of participants in camping in the U.S. from 2006 to 2012 (in millions)*
|Number of participants (in millions)|
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
This graph depicts the number of participants (Americans, six years and older) in camping in the U.S. from 2006 to 2012. In 2007, 39.84 million Americans participated in camping.
Camping is a popular recreational activity with more than 40 million people partaking in camping activities in the United States each year. This includes people camping with cars and tents, as well as recreational vehicles and backyard camping. Approximately 27 percent of campers (11.54 million participants) were children and adolescents aged between 6 and 17 years. Young adult participants (18 to 24 years) made up about 11.5 percent of all participants.
According to the National Sporting Goods Association, consumer spending on camping equipment in the United States was estimated at almost 1.9 billion U.S. dollars in 2012, while the Outdoor Foundation reported that camping equipment sales in the U.S. totaled 1.6 billion U.S. dollars in 2011. The Sporting Goods Manufacturers Association meanwhile stated in its annual Manufacturers Sales by Category Report that camping equipment wholesale sales had a total value of 1.8 billion U.S. dollars. The reported figures vary depending on what kind of products and segments the sources include in their estimations.
For 2013, the Recreational Vehicle Industry Association estimates that around 275 thousand recreational vehicles (e.g. travel trailers, fifth wheel trailers, folding camp trailers, truck campers, motorhomes) will be sold (wholesale shipments) in the United States.
The U.S. recreational vehicle park industry is forecasted to generate almost five billion U.S. dollars in revenue in 2015. It is projected that by 2015 there will be around 13,800 establishments in the U.S. RV park industry with total employment reaching 45,700.
Other outdoor activities such as hunting / wildlife viewing and recreational fishing / boating are also popular outdoor activities. Visitation of national / public parks is also often combined with one or more of the activities mentioned above.
- Number of participants in team sports in the U.S. 2012Number of participants in team sports in the U.S. 2012
- Participation in outdoor recreation in the U.S. by household income 2012Participation in outdoor recreation in the U.S. by household income 2012
- Most popular outdoor activites in the U.S. 2012Most popular outdoor activites in the U.S. 2012
- Percentage of first-time participants in outdoor activites in the U.S. 2009Percentage of first-time participants in outdoor activites in the U.S. 2009
- Spending trends on recreation by outdoor activity (non)participants in the U.S. 2010Spending trends on recreation by outdoor activity (non)participants in the U.S. 2010
- Gross revenue of Broadway shows in New York from 2006 to 2014Gross revenue of Broadway shows in New York from 2006 to 2014
- Attendance at touring Broadway shows in the U.S. from 1999 to 2014Attendance at touring Broadway shows in the U.S. from 1999 to 2014
- Attendance at Broadway shows in New York from 2006 to 2014, by categoryAttendance at Broadway shows in New York from 2006 to 2014, by category