Top 10 soybean producing U.S. states in 2012 and 2013 (in 1,000 bushels)
Please log in if you already have an account.
Sign Up for Account
Sign Up for Account
This statistic shows the ten U.S. states in soybean production in 2012 and 2013. Illinois topped the list with 460 million bushels produced in 2013.
Soybeans are among the major agricultural crops planted in the United States, behind only corn. They belong to the oilseed crops category and most U.S. soybeans are planted in May and early June and are harvested in late September and October. Production practices show that U.S. farmers commonly grow soybeans in crop rotation with corn. More than 80 percent of soybeans are cultivated in the upper Midwest. The Unites States counted Illinois, Iowa and Indiana as their leading soybean producing states in 2013.
Historical data shows that large-scale soybean production did not begin until the 20th century in the United States. However, recent statistics illustrate that the acreage of the dominant oilseed crop has expanded rapidly. The expansion of soybean acreage was favored by several factors including low production costs and a greater number of 50-50 corn-soybean rotations. Furthermore, soybeans were one of the first crop types that achieved commercial success as bioengineered crops. The first genetically modified (GM) soybeans were planted in the United States in 1996. They possess a gene that confers herbicide resistance.
The usage of soybeans ranges from the animal food industry over human consumption to non-food products. The highest percentage of soybeans goes to the animal feed industry. The products intended for human consumption include products such as soy milk, soy flour or tofu.
- Leading honey producing U.S. states 2012Leading honey producing U.S. states 2012
- Top U.S. states with highest wheat production 2012-2013Top U.S. states with highest wheat production 2012-2013
- U.S. sugar cane production by state 2010-2013U.S. sugar cane production by state 2010-2013
- Top cotton importing countries 2013Top cotton importing countries 2013
- Major U.S. states for cotton production 2013Major U.S. states for cotton production 2013
- Vineyard areas in the EU and worldwide 2008-2013Vineyard areas in the EU and worldwide 2008-2013
- Vineyard aress in selected countries worldwide 2013Vineyard aress in selected countries worldwide 2013
- Sugar beet: top global producers by volume 2013Sugar beet: top global producers by volume 2013
- Monsanto's seed and genomics segment net sales 2011-2013Monsanto's seed and genomics segment net sales 2011-2013
- World fish production - fishing and aquaculture 2007-2012World fish production - fishing and aquaculture 2007-2012
- World grain acreage 2008-2014World grain acreage 2008-2014