Top 10 soybean producing U.S. states in 2013 and 2014 (in 1,000 bushels)
Please log in if you already have an account.
Sign Up for Account
Sign Up for Account
This statistic shows the ten U.S. states in soybean production in 2013 and 2014. Illinois topped the list with 474 million bushels produced in 2013.
Soybeans are among the major agricultural crops planted in the United States, behind only corn. They belong to the oilseed crops category and most U.S. soybeans are planted in May and early June and are harvested in late September and October. Production practices show that U.S. farmers commonly grow soybeans in crop rotation with corn. More than 80 percent of soybeans are cultivated in the upper Midwest. The Unites States counted Illinois, Iowa and Minnesota as their leading soybean producing states as of November 2014.
Historical data shows that large-scale soybean production did not begin until the 20th century in the United States. However, recent statistics illustrate that the acreage of the dominant oilseed crop has expanded rapidly. The expansion of soybean acreage was favored by several factors including low production costs and a greater number of 50-50 corn-soybean rotations. Furthermore, soybeans were one of the first crop types that achieved commercial success as bioengineered crops. The first genetically modified (GM) soybeans were planted in the United States in 1996. They possess a gene that confers herbicide resistance.
The usage of soybeans ranges from the animal food industry over human consumption to non-food products. The highest percentage of soybeans goes to the animal feed industry. The products intended for human consumption include products such as soy milk, soy flour or tofu.
- Leading honey producing U.S. states 2012Leading honey producing U.S. states 2012
Top 10 honey producing U.S. states in 2012 (in 1,000 pounds)*
- Top U.S. states with highest wheat production 2012-2013Top U.S. states with highest wheat production 2012-2013
Top wheat producing U.S. states in 2012 and 2013 (in 1,000 bushels)
- U.S. sugar cane production by state 2010-2013+U.S. sugar cane production by state 2010-2013
Sugar cane production in the U.S. from 2010 to 2013, by state (in 1,000 tons)*
- Top cotton importing countries 2013Top cotton importing countries 2013
Leading cotton importing countries in 2013 (in 1,000 bales)*
- Major U.S. states for cotton production 2013+Major U.S. states for cotton production 2013
Top 10 U.S. states for cotton production in 2013 (in 1,000 bales)*
- Apple production worldwide by region 2012Apple production worldwide by region 2012
- Leading Mexican agricultural products based on production value 2012Leading Mexican agricultural products based on production value 2012
- Producer Price Index (PPI) for livestock in China 2014Producer Price Index (PPI) for livestock in China 2014
- World coffee per capita consumption: top 20 consumer countries 2013World coffee per capita consumption: top 20 consumer countries 2013
- Monsanto's seed and genomics segment net sales 2011-2014Monsanto's seed and genomics segment net sales 2011-2014
- Natural and synthetic rubber - global consumption 1990-2014Natural and synthetic rubber - global consumption 1990-2014