Top 10 soybean producing U.S. states in 2012 and 2013 (in 1,000 bushels)
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
This statistic shows the ten U.S. states in soybean production in 2012 and 2013. Illinois topped the list with 460 million bushels produced in 2013.
Soybeans are among the major agricultural crops planted in the United States, behind only corn. They belong to the oilseed crops category and most U.S. soybeans are planted in May and early June and are harvested in late September and October. Production practices show that U.S. farmers commonly grow soybeans in crop rotation with corn. More than 80 percent of soybeans are cultivated in the upper Midwest. The Unites States counted Illinois, Iowa and Indiana as their leading soybean producing states in 2013.
Historical data shows that large-scale soybean production did not begin until the 20th century in the United States. However, recent statistics illustrate that the acreage of the dominant oilseed crop has expanded rapidly. The expansion of soybean acreage was favored by several factors including low production costs and a greater number of 50-50 corn-soybean rotations. Furthermore, soybeans were one of the first crop types that achieved commercial success as bioengineered crops. The first genetically modified (GM) soybeans were planted in the United States in 1996. They possess a gene that confers herbicide resistance.
The usage of soybeans ranges from the animal food industry over human consumption to non-food products. The highest percentage of soybeans goes to the animal feed industry. The products intended for human consumption include products such as soy milk, soy flour or tofu.
- Top U.S. states based on hay production 2011Top U.S. states based on hay production 2011
- Leading honey producing U.S. states 2011Leading honey producing U.S. states 2011
- Top U.S. states with highest wheat production 2012-2013Top U.S. states with highest wheat production 2012-2013
- U.S. sugar cane production by state 2010-2013U.S. sugar cane production by state 2010-2013
- Top cotton importing countries 2011Top cotton importing countries 2011
- Top U.S. states by number of hogs and pigs 2014Top U.S. states by number of hogs and pigs 2014
- Top tobacco producing countries worldwide 2012Top tobacco producing countries worldwide 2012
- Top countries worldwide based on tobacco production value 2012Top countries worldwide based on tobacco production value 2012
- U.S. fishery - Statista Dossier 2013U.S. fishery - Statista Dossier 2013
- USDA - Census of Agriculture 2007USDA - Census of Agriculture 2007
- USDA - Agricultural Statistics 2012USDA - Agricultural Statistics 2012
- Cotton - Statista Dossier 2013Cotton - Statista Dossier 2013
- Rice - Statista Dossier 2013Rice - Statista Dossier 2013
- U.S. agriculture - Statista Dossier 2012U.S. agriculture - Statista Dossier 2012
- Global top wheat producing countries 2012Global top wheat producing countries 2012
- Monsanto's seed and genomics segment net sales 2011-2013Monsanto's seed and genomics segment net sales 2011-2013
- Total U.S. grain production 2001-2012Total U.S. grain production 2001-2012