Get a free account in less than 60 seconds. ?
Annual growth in global air traffic passenger demand from 2005 to 2013
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
This statistic represents the annual growth in global air traffic passenger demand between 2005 and 2013. In 2006, global air traffic passenger demand increased by around 5.2 percent on the year before.
Annual growth in global air traffic passenger demand
On a global scale, passenger air travel is expected to maintain positive growth rates up to 2030, despite a number of challenges faced by the industry: Airlines around the world are struggling with high jet fuel prices and sluggish economic growth. However, these difficult economic conditions are predicted to be offset by an increase in passenger figures, which in turn is projected to translate into improved financial performance of the airline sector. It is believed that the global aviation industry will reach 7.5 billion US dollars in profits in 2013, up from about 4.6 billion US dollars in 2009. Between 2013 and 2023, the number of airline passengers is expected to grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of four percent.
Low-cost carriers and regional airlines have revolutionized the airline business with the introduction of innovative low-fare business models. Notwithstanding the fact that airlines such as Easyjet and Ryanair have steadily eaten into the market share of major transportation companies, Georgia-based Delta Air Lines remained the leading airline in terms of passenger miles flown in 2012, followed by United/Continental, Southwest, American Airways and Lufthansa. Aviation demand is set to be fuelled by the rising affluence of the middle classes in emerging markets. Consequently, the air traffic industry is forecast to grow most significantly in Latin America, the Middle East and the Asia-Pacific region. In 2012, the airports in Atlanta (IATA: ATL), Beijing (IATA: PEK) and London (IATA: LHR) were ranked as the three major airports for passenger traffic.
- Total air traffic passengers traveling to/from the United States 2013Total air traffic passengers traveling to/from the United States 2013
Total number of air traffic passengers traveling to or from the United States* from 2004 to 2013 (in million passengers)
- Air traffic - passenger and cargo growth rates forecast 2014-2033+Air traffic - passenger and cargo growth rates forecast 2014-2033
Estimated annual growth rates for passenger and cargo air traffic from 2014 to 2033, by region
- Air traffic - worldwide revenue with passengers 2004-2014+Air traffic - worldwide revenue with passengers 2004-2014
Worldwide revenue with passengers in air traffic from 2004 to 2014 (in billion U.S. dollars)
- Air traffic controllers - gross annual wagesAir traffic controllers - gross annual wages
Average gross wage per annum of air traffic controllers in selected countries in 2011 (in euros)
- Growth of passenger traffic to/from the U.S. 2014-2034Growth of passenger traffic to/from the U.S. 2014-2034
Average estimated annual growth in passenger traffic to/from the U.S. transported by U.S. and foreign flag air carriers between 2014 and 20134, by region*
- Number of passenger movements at selected international airports in Jamaica in 2013Number of passenger movements at selected international airports in Jamaica in 2013
- Monthly aircraft movements at Sangster International Airport in Jamaica 2013-2014Monthly aircraft movements at Sangster International Airport in Jamaica 2013-2014
- EasyJet: passenger numbers January 2013 to October 2014, by monthEasyJet: passenger numbers January 2013 to October 2014, by month
- Leading carmakers worldwide - global market share 2013Leading carmakers worldwide - global market share 2013
- Sales of commercial vehicles in China November 2014, by modelSales of commercial vehicles in China November 2014, by model
- Passenger car sales in China by model as of November 2014Passenger car sales in China by model as of November 2014