Annual growth in global air traffic passenger demand from 2005 to 2013
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
This statistic represents the annual growth in global air traffic passenger demand between 2005 and 2013. In 2006, global air traffic passenger demand increased by around 5.2 percent on the year before.
Annual growth in global air traffic passenger demand
On a global scale, passenger air travel is expected to maintain positive growth rates up to 2030, despite a number of challenges faced by the industry: Airlines around the world are struggling with high jet fuel prices and sluggish economic growth. However, these difficult economic conditions are predicted to be offset by an increase in passenger figures, which in turn is projected to translate into improved financial performance of the airline sector. It is believed that the global aviation industry will reach 7.5 billion US dollars in profits in 2013, up from about 4.6 billion US dollars in 2009. Between 2013 and 2023, the number of airline passengers is expected to grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of four percent.
Low-cost carriers and regional airlines have revolutionized the airline business with the introduction of innovative low-fare business models. Notwithstanding the fact that airlines such as Easyjet and Ryanair have steadily eaten into the market share of major transportation companies, Georgia-based Delta Air Lines remained the leading airline in terms of passenger miles flown in 2012, followed by United/Continental, Southwest, American Airways and Lufthansa. Aviation demand is set to be fuelled by the rising affluence of the middle classes in emerging markets. Consequently, the air traffic industry is forecast to grow most significantly in Latin America, the Middle East and the Asia-Pacific region. In 2012, the airports in Atlanta (IATA: ATL), Beijing (IATA: PEK) and London (IATA: LHR) were ranked as the three major airports for passenger traffic.
- Total air traffic passengers traveling to/from the United States 2013Total air traffic passengers traveling to/from the United States 2013
- Air traffic - passenger and cargo growth rates forecast 2014-2033Air traffic - passenger and cargo growth rates forecast 2014-2033
- Air traffic - worldwide revenue with passengers 2004-2014Air traffic - worldwide revenue with passengers 2004-2014
- Air traffic controllers - gross annual wagesAir traffic controllers - gross annual wages
- Growth of passenger traffic to/from the U.S. 2014-2034Growth of passenger traffic to/from the U.S. 2014-2034
- Number of aircraft in the United States 1990-2011Number of aircraft in the United States 1990-2011
- Number of passengers traveling through United Kingdom airports 2007-2013Number of passengers traveling through United Kingdom airports 2007-2013
- Air freight handled in the United Kingdom (UK) 2002-2013, domestic and internationalAir freight handled in the United Kingdom (UK) 2002-2013, domestic and international
- U.S. market share of sold light trucks 1990-2012U.S. market share of sold light trucks 1990-2012
- Top car brands based on value from car owner opinion in the U.S. 2013Top car brands based on value from car owner opinion in the U.S. 2013
- U.S. logistics companies - based on net revenue 2013U.S. logistics companies - based on net revenue 2013