Los Angeles Lakers franchise value from 2003 to 2014 (in million U.S. dollars)*
|Franchise value (in million U.S. dollars)|
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
This graph depicts the value of the Los Angeles Lakers franchise of the National Basketball Association from 2003 to 2014. In 2006, the franchise had an estimated value of 529 million U.S. dollars.
Los Angeles Lakers
The Los Angeles Lakers are a professional basketball franchise of the National Basketball Association (NBA) that is part of the league’s Western Conference. The team was started in 1947 and originally located in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Prior to the 1960/61 season the franchise was moved to Los Angeles. Today the Lakers play their home games at Staples Center, which is located on Downtown Los Angeles and has a capacity of about 19 thousand for basketball games.
In the 2012/13 season the Los Angeles Lakers sold out every home game; averaging 18,997 spectators per contest with a total attendance of about 779 thousand. Tickets to Lakers home games cost 102.25 U.S. dollars in 2013/14 according to Team Marketing Report’s Fan Cost Index. The overall league-wide average ticket price was at 52.5 U.S. dollars.
Forbes ascribes the franchise a total value of 1.35 billion U.S. dollars in 2014, an increase in value of 35 percent compared to the previous year. The Los Angeles Lakers are one of only three franchises that are valued at one billion U.S. dollars or more, the other two being the New York Knicks and the Chicago Bulls. On average, NBA teams had a value of 634 million U.S. dollars in 2014 according to Forbes. The revenue of the Los Angeles Lakers was at 295 million U.S. dollars in the 2012/13 season.
The Lakers are one of the most successful franchises of the National Basketball Association with a total of 16 championships under their belt. Only the Boston Celtics have won more titles with a total of 17. Some of the best players ever, such as Jerry West, Earvin ‘Magic’ Johnson, Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Shaquille O’Neal have played for the Los Angeles Lakers franchise.
- Average franchise value of National Basketball Association teams 2014Average franchise value of National Basketball Association teams 2014
- Average franchise value in major U.S. sports leagues 2013Average franchise value in major U.S. sports leagues 2013
- Value of National Basketball Association franchises 2014Value of National Basketball Association franchises 2014
- Franchise with the highest value in the NBA 2014Franchise with the highest value in the NBA 2014
- NBA franchises ranked by most recent purchase price as at May 2014NBA franchises ranked by most recent purchase price as at May 2014
- Number of new shows performed on Broadway in New York from 2006 to 2014Number of new shows performed on Broadway in New York from 2006 to 2014
- Gross revenue of Broadway shows in New York from 2006 to 2014Gross revenue of Broadway shows in New York from 2006 to 2014
- Facebook fans of Major League Baseball teams 2014Facebook fans of Major League Baseball teams 2014