Get a free account in less than 60 seconds. ?
Top 10 U.S. states in total cheese production in 2012 (in 1,000 pounds)*
|Production in thousand pounds|
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
This statistic shows the top ten cheese producing U.S. states in 2012. In that year, California came second, where around 2.25 billion pounds of cheese were produced.
Cheese in the United States
Cheese is mostly common in the Western cultural sphere, where it is one of the basic foodstuffs, and a major agricultural product. With some 7 million metric tons, the European Union is the world’s leading producer of cheese. The United States is follows, producing approximately 5 million metric tons.
The top cheese producing U.S. states are Wisconsin and California. Wisconsin’s nickname as “America’s Dairyland” punctuates the state’s leading position within the U.S. dairy industry. More than two and a half billion pounds of cheese are produced in Wisconsin. California is the second largest producer. As expected, these states also count the highest number of milk cows among all U.S. states.
Total consumption of all types of cheese in the United States stands slightly lower than the production volume. This means, that every American consumes around 15 kilograms of cheese annually. The most popular types of cheese among U.S. consumers are Italian-style varieties like, for example, Mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Cheese production in the U.S. 2007-2012Cheese production in the U.S. 2007-2012
Quantity of cheese produced in the U.S. from 2007 to 2012 (in billion pounds)*
- Cheddar cheese production in the U.S. 2004-2012Cheddar cheese production in the U.S. 2004-2012
Quantity of cheddar cheese produced in the U.S. from 2004 to 2012 (in 1,000 pounds)
- Swiss cheese production in the U.S. 2004-2012+Swiss cheese production in the U.S. 2004-2012
Quantity of Swiss cheese produced in the U.S. from 2004 to 2012 (in 1,000 pounds)
- U.S. leading states in natural cheese production 2012+U.S. leading states in natural cheese production 2012
Leading U.S. states in natural cheese production in 2012 (in million pounds)
- Italian cheese production in the U.S. 2004-2012Italian cheese production in the U.S. 2004-2012
Quantity of all Italian cheese produced in the U.S. from 2004 to 2012 (in 1,000 pounds)
- Milk, cheese and eggs consumer price index monthly in the UK 2013-2014Milk, cheese and eggs consumer price index monthly in the UK 2013-2014
- Apple production worldwide by region 2012Apple production worldwide by region 2012
- Weekly UK household expenditure on cooked poultry 2006-2013Weekly UK household expenditure on cooked poultry 2006-2013
- Leading packet or bar detergent brands sales of the U.S. 2014Leading packet or bar detergent brands sales of the U.S. 2014
- Cosmetics: Retail sales value percentage change in Great Britain 2004-2013Cosmetics: Retail sales value percentage change in Great Britain 2004-2013
- World coffee per capita consumption: top 20 consumer countries 2013World coffee per capita consumption: top 20 consumer countries 2013