Top 10 U.S. states in total cheese production in 2011 (in 1,000 pounds)*
|Production in thousand pounds|
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
This statistic shows the top ten cheese producing U.S. states in 2011. In that year, California came second, where around 2.25 billion pounds of cheese were produced.
Cheese in the United States
Cheese is mostly common in the Western cultural sphere, where it is one of the basic foodstuffs, and a major agricultural product. With some 7 million metric tons, the European Union is the world’s leading producer of cheese. The United States is follows, producing approximately 5 million metric tons.
The top cheese producing U.S. states are Wisconsin and California. Wisconsin’s nickname as “America’s Dairyland” punctuates the state’s leading position within the U.S. dairy industry. More than two and a half billion pounds of cheese are produced in Wisconsin. California is the second largest producer. As expected, these states also count the highest number of milk cows among all U.S. states.
Total consumption of all types of cheese in the United States stands slightly lower than the production volume. This means, that every American consumes around 15 kilograms of cheese annually. The most popular types of cheese among U.S. consumers are Italian-style varieties like, for example, Mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Cheese production in the U.S. 2007-2011Cheese production in the U.S. 2007-2011
- Cheddar cheese production in the U.S. 2004-2011Cheddar cheese production in the U.S. 2004-2011
- Swiss cheese production in the U.S. 2004-2011Swiss cheese production in the U.S. 2004-2011
- U.S. leading states in natural cheese production 2012U.S. leading states in natural cheese production 2012
- Italian cheese production in the U.S. 2004-2011Italian cheese production in the U.S. 2004-2011
- Per capita consumption of bottled water in the U.S. 1999-2013Per capita consumption of bottled water in the U.S. 1999-2013
- Per capita consumption of bottled water worldwide by leading countries 2008-2013Per capita consumption of bottled water worldwide by leading countries 2008-2013
- Leading 100 Amercian retailers based on U.S. retail sales 2013Leading 100 Amercian retailers based on U.S. retail sales 2013
- Cheese market in the U.S. - Statista Dossier 2013Cheese market in the U.S. - Statista Dossier 2013
- Beer production and distribution - Statista Dossier 2013Beer production and distribution - Statista Dossier 2013
- Italian foods - Statista Dossier 2013Italian foods - Statista Dossier 2013
- Food retail in the United States - Statista Dossier 2013Food retail in the United States - Statista Dossier 2013
- Kraft Foods Group: Brand facts and consumer behavior - Statista Dossier 2014Kraft Foods Group: Brand facts and consumer behavior - Statista Dossier 2014
- Craft Beer in the U.S. - Statista Dossier 2014Craft Beer in the U.S. - Statista Dossier 2014
- Wine usage in the United Kingdom (UK) 2013, by user typeWine usage in the United Kingdom (UK) 2013, by user type
- Cosmetics: Retail sales value percentage change in Great Britain 2004-2013Cosmetics: Retail sales value percentage change in Great Britain 2004-2013
- Sales of the luxury goods industry in selected countries 2013Sales of the luxury goods industry in selected countries 2013