Get a free account in less than 60 seconds. ?
Pharmacy and drug store sales in the United States from 1992 to 2013 (in billion U.S. dollars)
|Year||Billion U.S. dollars|
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
This timeline depicts pharmacy and drug store sales in the United States from 1992 to 2013. In 2011, U.S. pharmacy and drug store sales amounted to about 231.46 billion U.S. dollars.
U.S. Pharmacies and Drug Stores Industry
The retail drug industry is comprised of pharmacies or drugstores, as they are known in North America. According to Statista estimates, which were calculated based on numbers presented by IBIS World, pharmacies and drugstores in the United States will generate a revenue of 257 billion U.S. dollars in 2014. With an aging population and greater prevalence of chronic diseases, the need for safe, legal pharmaceutical drugs is constantly rising.
Pharmacies and drug stores dispense prescription medications and over-the-counter drugs directly to patients. However, their role is more than one of simple distribution as they dispense medication in specific doses, adhere to optimal conditions of storage and give valuable advice to patients. Pharmacies practice in a wide range of locations such as communities, hospitals, clinics and nursing homes. Other drug retail outlets include supermarkets, and independent and online pharmacies, which offer mail-order drugs to patients, proving especially convenient for those that may be unable to leave their homes. Apart from selling drugs, miscellaneous products also account for a percentage of sales for these retail outlets, such as cosmetics and confectioneries.
The retail drug store industry employs many different types of workers. Each store has a manager, along with department managers or assistant managers to handle additional administrative duties. Sales associates are generally entry-level retail workers. Pharmacists require a specialized degree and licensing to dispense medication.
- Leading drug stores in the U.S. 2013, based on retail salesLeading drug stores in the U.S. 2013, based on retail sales
- U.S. drug store channel sales by holiday season 2013U.S. drug store channel sales by holiday season 2013
- Leading 20 drug store chains in the United States 2013, based on Rx salesLeading 20 drug store chains in the United States 2013, based on Rx sales
- Leading drug store chains in Canada 2012, based on Rx salesLeading drug store chains in Canada 2012, based on Rx sales
- Leading 20 drug store chains in the United States 2013, based on corporation salesLeading 20 drug store chains in the United States 2013, based on corporation sales
- Monthly retail sales of U.S. book stores 2012-2014Monthly retail sales of U.S. book stores 2012-2014
- Stevia's global market value 2014-2017Stevia's global market value 2014-2017
- Global leading countries in wine export 2009-2013Global leading countries in wine export 2009-2013
- Cosmetics: Retail sales value percentage change in Great Britain 2004-2013Cosmetics: Retail sales value percentage change in Great Britain 2004-2013
- Online retail spending in the United Kingdom (UK) 2000-2013Online retail spending in the United Kingdom (UK) 2000-2013
- Ranking of oil exporters worldwide 2013Ranking of oil exporters worldwide 2013