Occupancy rate of the United States hotel industry from 2001 to 2014
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
This statistic shows the annual occupancy rate of the U.S. hotel lodging industry from 2000 to 2013, and a forecast for 2014. In 2005, the occupancy rate was at 63 percent. For 2014 an occupancy rate of 62.7 percent is projected.
U.S. hotel occupancy rates - additional information
The timeline indicates a sharp drop in hotel occupancy rates in the United States in 2009, down to 54.6 percent from 59.8 percent in 2008. This is likely to have been caused by the global recession occurring at the time and the resulting unwillingness of U.S. consumers to spend money. The occupancy rate peaked in 2006 and, while rising steadily since 2009, it had still not reached the same level by 2013. This is reflected in the U.S. hotel industry revenue which fell from 155.6 billion U.S. dollars in 2008 to 133.3 billion U.S. dollars in 2009.
The U.S. hotel occupancy rate was one of the lowest in the world in 2013, the only region with a lower rate was Northern Africa at 46.6 percent. The region with the highest occupancy rate in 2013 was Asia Pacific. The U.S. was also one of the cheapest regions – it had an average daily rate 94 U.S. dollars cheaper than the most expensive region, the Middle East. In terms of hotel brands, two of the top three largest brands in the world originated in the U.S., Marriott International and Hilton Worldwide. The largest brand, however, was the British InterContinental Hotels Group.
Despite all the setbacks, American customer satisfaction with U.S. hotels remained high in 2014 and the monthly hotel occupancy rate reached 65.7 percent in April 2014 – higher than it had been in the same month for the previous three years.
- Average hotel rate by star rating in Latin America 2010Average hotel rate by star rating in Latin America 2010
- Average hotel room rates in top travel destinations worldwideAverage hotel room rates in top travel destinations worldwide
- Top 10 hotel groups worldwide in 2008Top 10 hotel groups worldwide in 2008
- Tourism: hotel industry worldwide RevPARTourism: hotel industry worldwide RevPAR
- Average room rate in the hotel industry worldwideAverage room rate in the hotel industry worldwide
- Monthly average revenue per available room of U.S. hotels from 2011 to 2014Monthly average revenue per available room of U.S. hotels from 2011 to 2014
- Monthly occupancy rate of hotels in the U.S. from 2011 to 2014Monthly occupancy rate of hotels in the U.S. from 2011 to 2014
- Monthly average daily rate of U.S. hotels from 2011 to 2014Monthly average daily rate of U.S. hotels from 2011 to 2014
- Serviced accommodation in the United Kingdom - Statista Dossier 2014Serviced accommodation in the United Kingdom - Statista Dossier 2014
- Hotels - Statista Dossier 2014Hotels - Statista Dossier 2014
- InterContinental Hotels Group - Statista Dossier 2014InterContinental Hotels Group - Statista Dossier 2014
- Hilton Worldwide - Statista Dossier 2014Hilton Worldwide - Statista Dossier 2014
- Marriott International - Statista Dossier 2014Marriott International - Statista Dossier 2014
- Travel and Tourism in the U.S. - Statista Dossier 2014Travel and Tourism in the U.S. - Statista Dossier 2014
- Visits to the United Kingdom (UK) from Europe in 2012, by airportVisits to the United Kingdom (UK) from Europe in 2012, by airport
- Number of hotels in the largest hotel groupsNumber of hotels in the largest hotel groups
- Hotels in the Middle East and Africa - occupancy, ADR and RevPARHotels in the Middle East and Africa - occupancy, ADR and RevPAR