Get a free account in less than 60 seconds. ?
Top 10 generic drugs producing pharmaceutical companies by U.S. prescription market share in 2010*
|Market share related to dispensed prescriptions|
|Mylan Labs, Inc.||13.4%|
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
This statistic shows the top 10 generic drugs producing pharmaceutical companies, by U.S. prescription market share in 2010. In that year, Mylan Labs, Inc. had a market share of 13.4 percent on the generic prescription market.
Top generic manufacturers
Generic drugs are medicinal products which are copying branded pharmaceutical drugs no longer protected by a patent. A generic drug has to be therapeutically equivalent to the original drug, what includes equivalent efficacy and safety. Generics are most often sold under their active ingredient’s name and the name of the manufacturing pharmaceutical company. The biggest advantage of a generic drug is its price, often significantly lower than that of the original branded product. Thus, generics make it possible to reduce expenditure on drugs.
Today, India is the world’s leading manufacturer of generic drugs. However, there was no Indian pharmaceutical company among the top ten generic drug-producing companies in the U.S. as of 2010. Israeli company Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd., headquartered in Petah Tikva, is the world’s leading generic drug manufacturer. In 2013, the company generated more than 20 billion U.S. dollars of revenue worldwide. Approximately half of this amount was through generic drugs sales. Teva held some 16 percent of the U.S. prescription market in 2012, equivalent to almost half a billion prescriptions dispensed nationwide. Other prominent generic producers are Mylan Labs from the U.S., the Irish company Actavis, and Sandoz, a division of Swiss top global player Novartis.
- Top 10 generic drugs producing companies by U.S. market share 2012Top 10 generic drugs producing companies by U.S. market share 2012
- Total worldwide prescription drug revenue - projection 2014-2020Total worldwide prescription drug revenue - projection 2014-2020
- Prescription drug expenditure in the U.S. 1960-2011Prescription drug expenditure in the U.S. 1960-2011
- Global top companies based on biotech prescription drug revenue in 2013 and 2020Global top companies based on biotech prescription drug revenue in 2013 and 2020
- Total prescription drug revenue in Europe from top 10 companies 2013Total prescription drug revenue in Europe from top 10 companies 2013
- Countries with the highest prevalence of HIV 2013Countries with the highest prevalence of HIV 2013
- U.S. market share of health and medical information websites in August 2014U.S. market share of health and medical information websites in August 2014
- Medical technology - top U.S. companies based on revenue 2013Medical technology - top U.S. companies based on revenue 2013
- Deaths by cause in the U.S. 2000-2010Deaths by cause in the U.S. 2000-2010
- Percentage of U.S. cigarette smokers 2000-2012Percentage of U.S. cigarette smokers 2000-2012
- Total and per capita personal health care expenditure 2011Total and per capita personal health care expenditure 2011