Get a free account in less than 60 seconds. ?
Annual average WTI and Brent crude oil spot prices from 1990 to 2013 (U.S. dollars per barrel)*
|West Texas Intermediate||Europe Brent|
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
This graph displays the spot price for West Texas Intermediate and Brent crudes between 1990 and 2013. In 2013, the average spot price for West Texas Intermediate crude oil came to just under 98 U.S. dollars per barrel.
Crude oil spot prices
The world’s growing thirst for oil is likely to create disequilibrium between crude supply and demand, thus triggering price fluctuations at stock exchanges around the globe. Over the past decade, consumption volumes have risen from under 80 million barrels per day in 2002 to almost 90 million barrels per day in 2012. Driven by global economic growth, West Texas Intermediate crude reached annual average price levels near 100 US dollars per barrel for the first time in 2008, when worldwide oil consumption exceeded production by over three million barrels daily. Although the difference can be accounted for by the production of biofuels and oil from unconventional sources, these figures show why adjustment measurements are required to balance supply and demand in the international crude oil market.
Economic theory has it that prices are a key element to adjust supply and demand, but political frameworks appear to be the crucial factor in this case. The WTI price trend will likely be affected by the quality of pipeline infrastructure between the US Gulf and the nation’s oil-trading hub at Cushing, as well as political trends in other oil producing regions. With Russia accounting for approximately 13 percent of the world’s oil production volume, oil prices may just continue their rollercoaster ride through 2014.
- West Texas Intermediate (WTI) crude oil price 2013-2014West Texas Intermediate (WTI) crude oil price 2013-2014
- West Texas Intermediate - change in oil prices 1976-2014West Texas Intermediate - change in oil prices 1976-2014
- U.S. crude oil prices: West Texas Intermediate 2012-2015U.S. crude oil prices: West Texas Intermediate 2012-2015
- Crude oil price development of UK Brent 2013-2014Crude oil price development of UK Brent 2013-2014
- UK Brent crude oil price changes 1976-2014UK Brent crude oil price changes 1976-2014
- Number of registered plug-in grant eligible vans in the United Kingdom (UK) 2010-2014Number of registered plug-in grant eligible vans in the United Kingdom (UK) 2010-2014
- Number of all registered ultra-low emission vehicles in the UK 2010-2014Number of all registered ultra-low emission vehicles in the UK 2010-2014
- Global increase in abundance of key greenhouse gases 1750-2013Global increase in abundance of key greenhouse gases 1750-2013
- U.S. fossil fuel energy consumption: 1985-2013U.S. fossil fuel energy consumption: 1985-2013
- Total primary energy consumption in the U.S. 1995-2013Total primary energy consumption in the U.S. 1995-2013
- U.S. energy consumption from selected sources 1999-2013U.S. energy consumption from selected sources 1999-2013