Get a free account in less than 60 seconds. ?
Monthly change of the average working week of all employees in the United States from September 2013 to September 2014
|Hours of work|
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
This statistic shows the average length of a working week in the United States, for all employees, by month. The data have been seasonally adjusted. Employed persons consist of all employees on private nonfarm payrolls. The average working week for all employees on private nonfarm payrolls was at 34.6 hours in September 2014.
U.S. working week
As in most industrialized countries, the standard work week in the United States begins on Monday and ends on Friday, with Saturday and Sunday being weekend days. According to data released by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average workweek for all employees (including part-time) working in private industries in the United States amounted to about 34.5 hours in 2012. In one month, the U.S. workforce works about 3.9 billion hours in total.
The average work week differs heavily from industry to industry. An employee in the mining and logging industry worked about 44.4 hours a week in June 2013, while employees in education and health services only worked for an average of 33 hours per week. An additional burden for many employees is overtime. In manufacturing, every employee worked 3.3 hours of overtime per week in 2012.
When compared to working hours on an international level, the United States is neither on top nor at the bottom of average hours worked in a year per person. Mexico tops the list with an average of 2,250 annual work hours per person. The country where people work the shortest time is the Netherlands, with 1,379 annual work hours per person. The United States are mid-table with an average of 1,787 work hours per person.
- Working hours - weekly average of all employees in the U.S. 2007-2013Working hours - weekly average of all employees in the U.S. 2007-2013
- Average working hours per year in cities worldwide, 2012Average working hours per year in cities worldwide, 2012
- Average working week in the U.S. - annual average of all employeesAverage working week in the U.S. - annual average of all employees
- United Kingdom (UK): Average full-time weekly hours of work 2000-2012, by genderUnited Kingdom (UK): Average full-time weekly hours of work 2000-2012, by gender
- United Kingdom (UK): Monthly total weekly hours of work 2013, by genderUnited Kingdom (UK): Monthly total weekly hours of work 2013, by gender
- Total labor force in Hong Kong 2008-2013Total labor force in Hong Kong 2008-2013
- Labor force participation rate in Hong Kong 2008-2013Labor force participation rate in Hong Kong 2008-2013
- Total workforce in Hong Kong 2008-2013Total workforce in Hong Kong 2008-2013
- Monthly family expenditure in the United Kingdom (UK) 2012-2013, by family typeMonthly family expenditure in the United Kingdom (UK) 2012-2013, by family type
- Satisfaction with gun policy in the US 2014Satisfaction with gun policy in the US 2014
- Gross domestic product in Catalonia and Spain 2003-2013Gross domestic product in Catalonia and Spain 2003-2013