Market capitalization of U.S. tech and internet companies in 2006 and 2014 (in billion U.S. dollars)
|March 2006||April 2013|
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
This statistic presents a ranking of the market capitalization of selected US tech and internet companies in 2006 and in 2013. Apple's market cap soared from 53 billion U.S. dollars in 2006 to 403.5 billion dollars in 2013.
Public offerings of tech and internet companies A public offering is the offering of securities of a company or a similar corporation to the public. Generally, the securities are to be listed on a stock exchange. The initial public offering (IPO) of a company occurs when a company offers its shares for the first time for public ownership and trading.
Hardware companies such as Apple or IBM have been traded publicly for a while but younger, online-based companies such as Google or most notably Facebook have been generating a lot of buzz surrounding their IPOs and subsequent stock prices. Facebook’s initial public offering was intensely hyped over months with projections of a 100 billion US dollar valuation but it dwindled down to a range of 60 to 75 billion US dollars prior to the listing. The social network’s stock initially dropped almost half its price before finally recuperating more than 14 months later.
Other tech stock performances have been more stable – both online retailer Amazon and search and digital advertising giant Google’s shares have been on a more upwards trend. The most impressive development however came from Apple which totally changed its stock performance after the 2008 introduction of the iPhone. Since then, the company has been catapulted to the top of the smartphone market, multiplying its market capitalization as well as regularly being ranked as one of the most valuable brands worldwide.
- Market capitalization of the largest U.S. internet companies April 2013Market capitalization of the largest U.S. internet companies April 2013
- Biggest internet companies worldwide as of June 2014Biggest internet companies worldwide as of June 2014
- Facebook's raised capital compared with selected tech companies 2012Facebook's raised capital compared with selected tech companies 2012
- Distribution of mobile game downloaders in the UK in 2013, by platformDistribution of mobile game downloaders in the UK in 2013, by platform
- Revenue growth of selected tech companies 2012Revenue growth of selected tech companies 2012
- Number of active apps from the iTunes App Store as of July 2014Number of active apps from the iTunes App Store as of July 2014
- Digital display ad market share of major ad-selling companies in the U.S. 2012-2016Digital display ad market share of major ad-selling companies in the U.S. 2012-2016
- King: number of monthly paying users as of 2nd quarter 2014King: number of monthly paying users as of 2nd quarter 2014
- United States: number of digital shoppers 2010-2018United States: number of digital shoppers 2010-2018
- U.S. manufacturing shipments e-commerce value 2003-2012U.S. manufacturing shipments e-commerce value 2003-2012
- Total and e-commerce U.S. retail trade sales 2000-2012Total and e-commerce U.S. retail trade sales 2000-2012