Get a free account in less than 60 seconds. ?
Global biofuels market size from 2005 to 2013 (in billion U.S. dollars)
|Market size in billion U.S. dollars|
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
This statistic represents the size of the global biofuels market between 2005 and 2013. In 2013, the global biofuels market was sized at around 98 billion U.S. dollars, compared with about 16 billion U.S. dollars in 2005.
Biofuels market size
As car drivers were becoming increasingly worried about sky-high gasoline prices and the level of pollution in urban areas, alternative fuels began to make inroads into the automotive industry. Political decision makers introduced tax credits for gasoline-ethanol mixtures, and petrol stations started selling gasoline grades where up to 10 percent of ethanol was blended into conventional petrol. As a result, corn and sugar cane farmers in the rural US soon emerged as the major beneficiaries of the biofuels movement in the United States, which established itself as a driving force in the biofuels market. In 2012, the United States was ranked as the largest biofuel producing country, followed by Brazil and Germany.
Globally, the implementation of a biofuels market soon sparked a food versus fuel debate among critics. While advocates saw biofuels as part of a clean and sustainable energy future, others argued that fuels should not be derived from edible plants. However, the biofuels market continued to be resilient. In 2012, the global market for the production and wholesale pricing of ethanol and biodiesel was sized at close to 100 billion US dollars. By 2022, the market is expected to grow to almost 178 billion US dollars. Revenue growth is projected to be driven by capacity additions and higher prices for alternative fuels.
- Global clean-energy: wind power equipment market size 2000-2013Global clean-energy: wind power equipment market size 2000-2013
- Renewable energy: global solar PV market size 2000-2013Renewable energy: global solar PV market size 2000-2013
- Global semiconductor market size 2003-2010Global semiconductor market size 2003-2010
- Global PV inverter market size 2010-2016Global PV inverter market size 2010-2016
- Projected global waste management market size 2010-2020Projected global waste management market size 2010-2020
- Number of registered plug-in grant eligible vans in the United Kingdom (UK) 2010-2014Number of registered plug-in grant eligible vans in the United Kingdom (UK) 2010-2014
- Number of all registered ultra-low emission vehicles in the UK 2010-2014Number of all registered ultra-low emission vehicles in the UK 2010-2014
- Global increase in abundance of key greenhouse gases 1750-2013Global increase in abundance of key greenhouse gases 1750-2013
- U.S. fossil fuel energy consumption: 1985-2013U.S. fossil fuel energy consumption: 1985-2013
- Total primary energy consumption in the U.S. 1995-2013Total primary energy consumption in the U.S. 1995-2013
- U.S. energy consumption from selected sources 1999-2013U.S. energy consumption from selected sources 1999-2013