Get a free account in less than 60 seconds. ?
Percentage of U.S. population to own an Apple smartphone (iPhone) from 2010 to 2014
|Percentage of population|
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
This statistic shows the percentage of the U.S. population to own an Apple smartphone between 2010 and 2012, and also offers a forecast until 2014. In 2010, 5.6 percent of people in the United States owned an Apple smartphone (iPhone).
Percentage of the U.S. population that owns an iPhone - additional information
In 2014, forecasters predict that around 164 million people in the U.S. will be using a smartphone, which accounts for around 64 percent of all mobile users . Of these 164 million smartphone users, an estimated 63.2 million will own an iPhone. This equates to just under 20 percent of the USA’s overall population, which is a marked increase from the 5.6 percent of the country (a total of 17.5 million people) who were iPhone users in 2010. Apple’s iOS (operating system) is thus placed second in the market, behind only the Android Operating System, which will have roughly 76 million American users in 2014, almost 25 percent of the country’s population.
However, the iPhone is the top-selling individual phone of any kind in the U.S., with sales of the brand reaching 500 million in March 2014 since it the first generation iPhone was released in June 2007. Overall eight generations of iPhone models have been released as of September 2014, each of which operate on one of the eight major releases of iOS. The first iPhone was notably different from other smartphones at the time because the user interface is built around the device’s multi-touch screen including a virtual keyboard, rather than the need for a stylus, keypad, or separate keyboard.
Additional functions on the smartphone can be enabled by downloading application programs, or apps, from the phone’s application distribution platform, which in the case of the iPhone is the App Store. There are many different types of app that range in category from gaming and entertainment to banking and news updates. As of October 2013, the App Store offered more than one million apps developed by Apple or third parties and is thus the world’s second largest application marketplace, in first place being Android’s Google Play store. The Apple App Store looks to remain one of the biggest app platforms in the world with Apple announcing in June 2014 that a total of 75 billion apps had been downloaded from its store.
- Forecast: smartphone users in the United Kingdom (UK) 2011-2017Forecast: smartphone users in the United Kingdom (UK) 2011-2017
Number of smartphone users in the United Kingdom (UK) from 2011 to 2017 (in millions)
- Forecast: number of smartphone users in the U.S. 2010-2018Forecast: number of smartphone users in the U.S. 2010-2018
Number of smartphone users in the U.S. from 2010 to 2018 (in millions)
- Forecast: iPhone smartphone users in the U.S. 2010-2014Forecast: iPhone smartphone users in the U.S. 2010-2014
Number of iPhone smartphone users in the United States from 2010 to 2014 (in millions)
- Forecast: smartphone users as share of all mobile users U.S. 2010-2017Forecast: smartphone users as share of all mobile users U.S. 2010-2017
Smartphone users as percentage of all mobile users in the U.S. from 2010 to 2017
- 2012 election: percentage of smartphone users who would vote via smartphone2012 election: percentage of smartphone users who would vote via smartphone
Would you use your smartphone to vote if you had the opportunity?
- Global smartphone OS market share held by RIM 2007-2014, by quarterGlobal smartphone OS market share held by RIM 2007-2014, by quarter
- Global smartphone sales by operating system 2009-2014, by quarterGlobal smartphone sales by operating system 2009-2014, by quarter
- MP3 consumption on mobile phones in selected countries worldwide as of October 2014MP3 consumption on mobile phones in selected countries worldwide as of October 2014
- Forecast spending global telecom services 2013-2018Forecast spending global telecom services 2013-2018
- Total market size global BPO and IT services market 2013, by segmentTotal market size global BPO and IT services market 2013, by segment
- Value of the global mHealth (mobile health) market 2012-2020Value of the global mHealth (mobile health) market 2012-2020