Get a free account in less than 60 seconds. ?
Total number of retail prescriptions filled annually in the United States from 2013 to 2021 (in billions)*
|Number of prescriptions filled in billions|
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
This statistic depicts the total number of retail prescriptions filled annually in the United States from 2013 to 2021. It is estimated that in 2016, 4.27 billion retail prescriptions will be filled throughout the United States.
U.S. Pharmacies and Drug Stores Industry
The retail drug industry is comprised of pharmacies or drugstores, as they are known in North America. According to Statista estimates, which were calculated based on numbers presented by IBIS World, pharmacies and drugstores in the United States will generate a revenue of 257 billion U.S. dollars in 2014. With an aging population and greater prevalence of chronic diseases, the need for safe, legal pharmaceutical drugs is constantly rising.
Pharmacies and drug stores dispense prescription medications and over-the-counter drugs directly to patients. However, their role is more than one of simple distribution as they dispense medication in specific doses, adhere to optimal conditions of storage and give valuable advice to patients. Pharmacies practice in a wide range of locations such as communities, hospitals, clinics and nursing homes. Other drug retail outlets include supermarkets, and independent and online pharmacies, which offer mail-order drugs to patients, proving especially convenient for those that may be unable to leave their homes. In 2013, CVS Caremark was the leading drug store chain in the United States, based on retail prescription sales, generating approximately 45.6 billion U.S. dollars. Apart from selling drugs, miscellaneous products also account for a percentage of sales for these retail outlets, such as cosmetics and confectioneries.
The retail drug store industry employs many different types of workers. Each store has a manager, along with department managers or assistant managers to handle additional administrative duties. Sales associates are generally entry-level retail workers. Pharmacists require a specialized degree and licensing to dispense medication.
- CVS Caremark's number of stores 2005-2013CVS Caremark's number of stores 2005-2013
- CVS Caremark's share of retail prescriptions filled in the U.S. 2013-2021CVS Caremark's share of retail prescriptions filled in the U.S. 2013-2021
- Revenue per retail prescription at CVS Caremark in the U.S. 2013-2021Revenue per retail prescription at CVS Caremark in the U.S. 2013-2021
- CVS Caremark's revenue 2010-2012, by segmentCVS Caremark's revenue 2010-2012, by segment
- CVS Caremark's revenue distribution 2013-2021, by product groupCVS Caremark's revenue distribution 2013-2021, by product group
- Global medtech market share by segment 2013 and 2020Global medtech market share by segment 2013 and 2020
- Top global medtech segments - revenue 2013 and 2020Top global medtech segments - revenue 2013 and 2020
- Predicted top medical technology companies by revenue 2020Predicted top medical technology companies by revenue 2020
- Number of Ebola deaths from West Africa outbreak by country July-October 2014Number of Ebola deaths from West Africa outbreak by country July-October 2014
- Number of Ebola cases from West Africa outbreak by country July-October 2014Number of Ebola cases from West Africa outbreak by country July-October 2014
- Market value and growth of global life sciences by sector 2014Market value and growth of global life sciences by sector 2014