Get a free account in less than 60 seconds. ?
World's 10 leading cotton producing countries in 2013/2014 (in 1,000 metric tons)
|Production in thousand metric tons|
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
This statistic shows the world's leading cotton producing countries in crop year 2013/2014. In that year, cotton production in Australia amounted to around nearly 900,000 metric tons. Thus, Australia was the seventh largest producer of cotton worldwide.
Cotton is a natural plant fiber which grows around the seed of the cotton plant. Fibers are used in the textile industry, where they are the starting point of the production chain. First, the cotton fiber is obtained from the cotton plant and then spun into yarn. From there, the cotton yarn is woven or knitted into fabric.
The use of cotton has a long tradition in the clothing industry due to its desirable characteristics. Cloths made of this fiber are moisture-absorbent, have a good drape and are known for their long durability. Consumers continue to purchase large amounts of cotton products as they prefer cotton’s light and comfortable qualities. Products made out of cotton range from highly absorbent bath towels over bed linens to basic clothes such as t-shirts, underwear or socks.
The world’s largest cotton producers include China, India and the United States respectively. Within the United States, the Southern states traditionally harvest the largest quantities of cotton. This region was formerly known as the ‘Cotton Belt’, where cotton was the predominant cash crop from the 18th to the 20th century. Due to soil depletion and social and economic changes, cotton production has declined and acres in this region are now mainly used for crops such as corn, soybeans and wheat.
- Major U.S. states for cotton production 2013+Major U.S. states for cotton production 2013
Top 10 U.S. states for cotton production in 2013 (in 1,000 bales)*
- Global cotton production 1990-2014+Global cotton production 1990-2014
Global cotton production volume from 1990 to 2014 (in 1,000 bales)*
- Cotton production value in the U.S. 2000-2013Cotton production value in the U.S. 2000-2013
Cotton production value in the U.S. from 2000 to 2013 (in 1,000 U.S. dollars)
- U.S. cotton production 2000-2013U.S. cotton production 2000-2013
Cotton production in the U.S. from 2000 to 2013 (in 1,000 bales)*
- Leading U.S. states based on cotton production value 2012+Leading U.S. states based on cotton production value 2012
Top 10 U.S. states based on cotton production value in 2012 (in 1,000 U.S. dollars)
- Apple production worldwide by region 2012Apple production worldwide by region 2012
- Leading Mexican agricultural products based on production value 2012Leading Mexican agricultural products based on production value 2012
- Producer Price Index (PPI) for livestock in China 2014Producer Price Index (PPI) for livestock in China 2014
- World coffee per capita consumption: top 20 consumer countries 2013World coffee per capita consumption: top 20 consumer countries 2013
- Monsanto's seed and genomics segment net sales 2011-2014Monsanto's seed and genomics segment net sales 2011-2014
- Natural and synthetic rubber - global consumption 1990-2014Natural and synthetic rubber - global consumption 1990-2014