World's 10 leading cotton producing countries in 2013/2014 (in 1,000 metric tons)
|Production in thousand metric tons|
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
This statistic shows the world's leading cotton producing countries in crop year 2013/2014. In that year, cotton production in Australia amounted to around nearly 900,000 metric tons. Thus, Australia was the seventh largest producer of cotton worldwide.
Cotton is a natural plant fiber which grows around the seed of the cotton plant. Fibers are used in the textile industry, where they are the starting point of the production chain. First, the cotton fiber is obtained from the cotton plant and then spun into yarn. From there, the cotton yarn is woven or knitted into fabric.
The use of cotton has a long tradition in the clothing industry due to its desirable characteristics. Cloths made of this fiber are moisture-absorbent, have a good drape and are known for their long durability. Consumers continue to purchase large amounts of cotton products as they prefer cotton’s light and comfortable qualities. Products made out of cotton range from highly absorbent bath towels over bed linens to basic clothes such as t-shirts, underwear or socks.
The world’s largest cotton producers include China, India and the United States respectively. Within the United States, the Southern states traditionally harvest the largest quantities of cotton. This region was formerly known as the ‘Cotton Belt’, where cotton was the predominant cash crop from the 18th to the 20th century. Due to soil depletion and social and economic changes, cotton production has declined and acres in this region are now mainly used for crops such as corn, soybeans and wheat.
- Major U.S. states for cotton production 2013Major U.S. states for cotton production 2013
- Global cotton production 1990-2014Global cotton production 1990-2014
- Cotton production value in the U.S. 2000-2013Cotton production value in the U.S. 2000-2013
- U.S. cotton production 2000-2013U.S. cotton production 2000-2013
- Leading U.S. states based on cotton production value 2011Leading U.S. states based on cotton production value 2011
- Percentage of genetically modified crops in the U.S. by type 2014Percentage of genetically modified crops in the U.S. by type 2014
- Number and size of farms in the U.S. 1900-2012Number and size of farms in the U.S. 1900-2012
- Global leading countries in beer production 2013Global leading countries in beer production 2013
- Cotton - Statista Dossier 2013Cotton - Statista Dossier 2013
- Cheese market in the U.S. - Statista Dossier 2013Cheese market in the U.S. - Statista Dossier 2013
- Rice - Statista Dossier 2013Rice - Statista Dossier 2013
- Corn in the U.S. - Statista Dossier 2013Corn in the U.S. - Statista Dossier 2013
- Chocolate - Statista Dossier 2013Chocolate - Statista Dossier 2013
- World of wheat - Statista Dossier 2013World of wheat - Statista Dossier 2013
- Monsanto's seed and genomics segment net sales 2011-2013Monsanto's seed and genomics segment net sales 2011-2013
- Total U.S. grain production 2001-2012Total U.S. grain production 2001-2012
- World fish production - fishing and aquaculture 2004-2011World fish production - fishing and aquaculture 2004-2011