Get a free account in less than 60 seconds. ?
Global smartphone shipments forecast from 2010 to 2018 (in million units)
|Shipments in million units|
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Here you can see a forecast for global smartphone shipments from 2010 to 2018. According to the forecast, more than 1.28 billion smartphones will be shipped worldwide in 2014. By 2018, the number is expected to climb to over 1.87 billion.
Global smartphone shipments - additional information
Shipments for smartphones are expected to reach over 1.7 billion by 2018, a tenfold increase from the amount of shipments in 2009. This means that by 2017, an estimated 34 percent of the world’s population will have a smartphone, a figure that was at less than 10 percent in 2011. This upturn in the smartphone market has developed it into a multi-billion dollar industry with revenue projected to top 272 billion U.S. dollars in 2015.
The global success of this industry can be attributed to the growing popularity of several key operating systems, namely Android and iOS. By the end of 2013, these two companies held over 90 percent of the global smartphone market share, with Android alone controlling almost 80 percent. This amounted to 226.1 million Android units and 51 million iOS units being shipped in the final quarter of 2013. The domination in the market from Android looks set to continue with the shipment of Android phones in 2016 expected to hit around 680 million units.
However, despite both Apple and Android being based in the U.S., it is the Chinese smartphone industry that looks set to dominate the market in the coming years. Forecasts predict that China will control just under a third of the smartphone market in 2017, in comparison to the U.S.’s estimated share of 12.1 percent.
- Global smartphone unit shipments forecast by operating system 2014 and 2018Global smartphone unit shipments forecast by operating system 2014 and 2018
Forecasted unit shipments of smartphones worldwide in 2014 and 2018 (in million units), by operating system
- Shipment forecast of smartphone brands 2011+Shipment forecast of smartphone brands 2011
Projected shipment of smartphones worldwide in 2011, by leading brands (in million units)
- Global smartphone unit shipments 2009-2014+Global smartphone unit shipments 2009-2014
Global smartphone shipments from 2009 to 2014 (in million units)
- PCs (desktop/portable) global shipment forecast 2009-2018+PCs (desktop/portable) global shipment forecast 2009-2018
Global PC shipments (desktop & portable) from 2009 to 2018 (in million units)
- Global smartphone sales to end users 2007-2013+Global smartphone sales to end users 2007-2013
Number of smartphones sold to end users worldwide from 2007 to 2013 (in million units)
- Worldwide PC monitor vendors' market share of unit shipments 2012-2014Worldwide PC monitor vendors' market share of unit shipments 2012-2014
- PC monitor unit shipments worldwide by vendor 2012-2014PC monitor unit shipments worldwide by vendor 2012-2014
- Global smartphone OS market share held by RIM 2007-2014, by quarterGlobal smartphone OS market share held by RIM 2007-2014, by quarter
- Forecast spending global telecom services 2013-2018Forecast spending global telecom services 2013-2018
- Total market size global BPO and IT services market 2013, by segmentTotal market size global BPO and IT services market 2013, by segment
- Value of the global mHealth (mobile health) market 2012-2020Value of the global mHealth (mobile health) market 2012-2020