Italy: Total population from 2004 to 2014 (in millions)
|Inhabitants in millions|
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
This statistic shows the total population of Italy from 2004 to 2014. In 2012, the total population of Italy was around 60.8 million people.
Population of Italy
Although the population in Italy has continuously grown year over year, population growth has significantly slowed down since 2004. It can be assumed that a decrease in population growth is related to a decrease in immigrants, especially considering that the fertility rate in the country has remained relatively stable over the past decade.
A decrease in immigrants and a potential increase in emigrations could, in return, be a result of the country’s slumping economy. Many aspects of Italy’s economy have suffered as a result of the 2008 financial crisis: Italy’s unemployment rate has increased severely, most notably between 2011 and 2012 and this trend is expected to continue over the next several years. Additionally, the country’s gross domestic product (GDP) has since decreased and has struggled to maintain stability. This is most evident in Italy’s real GDP growth rate. Not only is the growth rate minimal, but Italy has also experienced several years of negative growth, especially in 2009.
However, despite a struggling economy, the standard of living in Italy has remained affluent. In 2012, Italy was ranked as one of the 30 countries with the highest Human Development Index rating. The Human Development Index, also known as the HDI, is based on values of life expectancy at birth, literacy rate, education levels and gross national income per capita. Italy has one of the highest life expectancies in the world as of 2011, ranking 6th out of the top 20 countries.
- Total population of the United States 2014Total population of the United States 2014
- Total population in Japan 2014Total population in Japan 2014
- Total population of India 2014Total population of India 2014
- Total population of France 2014Total population of France 2014
- Total population of Brazil 2014Total population of Brazil 2014
- Population growth in the European Union (EU) 2013Population growth in the European Union (EU) 2013
- Age distribution in the European Union (EU) in 2013Age distribution in the European Union (EU) in 2013
- Population growth in the USA 2013Population growth in the USA 2013
- Aging population in China - Statista Dossier 2013Aging population in China - Statista Dossier 2013
- Population in China - Statista Dossier 2013Population in China - Statista Dossier 2013
- United Arab Emirates - Statista Dossier 2014United Arab Emirates - Statista Dossier 2014
- Ukraine - Statista Dossier 2014Ukraine - Statista Dossier 2014
- Germany - Statista Dossier 2014Germany - Statista Dossier 2014
- Iran - Statista Dossier 2014Iran - Statista Dossier 2014
- Total population of the United Arab Emirates 2014Total population of the United Arab Emirates 2014
- Most valuable brands in the UK in 2014Most valuable brands in the UK in 2014
- Ukrainians' confidence in their government from 2006 to 2013Ukrainians' confidence in their government from 2006 to 2013