Get a free account in less than 60 seconds. ?
India: Total population from 2004 to 2014 (in millions)
|Inhabitants in millions|
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
The statistic shows the total population of India from 2004 to 2014. In 2012, the estimated total population in India amounted to approximately 1.22 billion people.
Total population in India
India currently has the second-largest population in the world and is projected to overtake top-ranking China within forty years. Its residents comprise more than one-seventh of the entire world’s population, and despite a slowly decreasing fertility rate (which still exceeds the replacement rate and keeps the median age of the population relatively low), an increasing life expectancy adds to an expanding population. In comparison with other countries whose populations are decreasing, such as Japan, India has a relatively small share of aged population, which indicates the probability of lower death rates and higher retention of the existing population.
With a land mass of less than half that of the United States and a population almost four times greater, India has recognized potential problems of its growing population. Government attempts to implement family planning programs have achieved varying degrees of success. Initiatives such as sterilization programs in the 1970s have been blamed for creating general antipathy to family planning, but the combined efforts of various family planning and contraception programs have helped halve fertility rates since the 1960s. The population growth rate has correspondingly shrunk as well, but has not yet reached less than one percent growth per year.
As home to thousands of ethnic groups, hundreds of languages, and numerous religions, a cohesive and broadly-supported effort to reduce population growth is difficult to create. Despite that, India is one country to watch in coming years. It is also a growing economic power; among other measures, its GDP per capita was expected to triple between 2003 and 2013 and was listed as the third-ranked country for its share of the global gross domestic product.
- Total population of the United States 2014Total population of the United States 2014
- Total population in Japan 2014Total population in Japan 2014
- Total population of France 2014Total population of France 2014
- Total population of China 2009-2019Total population of China 2009-2019
- Total population of Brazil 2014Total population of Brazil 2014
- Weekly box office revenue in India - September 14-20, 2014Weekly box office revenue in India - September 14-20, 2014
- United States - monthly inflation rate August 2014United States - monthly inflation rate August 2014
- Vehicle sales in China 2008-2014Vehicle sales in China 2008-2014
- Monthly inflation rate in Euro area countries June 2014Monthly inflation rate in Euro area countries June 2014
- Monthly inflation rate in EU countries June 2014Monthly inflation rate in EU countries June 2014
- GDP growth in the EU and the Euro area compared to same quarter previous year Q1 2014GDP growth in the EU and the Euro area compared to same quarter previous year Q1 2014