Major countries in iron ore mine production worldwide from 2010 to 2013 (in million metric tons)*
Please log in if you already have an account.
Sign Up for Account
Sign Up for Account
This statistic illustrates the worldwide mine production of iron ore from 2010 to 2013, sorted by country. The mine production of iron ore in the United States reached approximately 55 million metric tons in 2011.
Iron ore mine production
Iron ore are rocks and minerals that can be heated in the presence of a reductant to extract metallic iron. Iron and steel industries worldwide are reliant on these sources for primary iron material. A large majority of mined iron ore is then used in steelmaking. Iron ore minerals are mostly found as hematite and magnetite.
China and Australia are among the world’s largest iron ore mine producers, producing 1.3 billion metric tons and 530 million metric tons, respectively, in 2013. Subsequently, iron ore reserves are among the highest in Australia with 35 billion metric tons of iron content and 17 billion metric tons of crude ore in 2013. Over 90 percent of Australia’s identified resource resides in Western Australia. Hamersley Province contains a large portion of this resource and is considered one of the world’s largest iron ore reserves. The Pilbara region in Western Australia has two major producers, including BHP Billiton and Rio Tinto Ltd. Pilbara Iron is a subsidiary of the Rio Tinto group and has about 15 sites in the region. As of 2011, Australia exported about 40 percent of the world’s iron ore resources. Along with Brazil, the two countries account of over half of the world’s exports.
- World iron ore reserves by country 2013World iron ore reserves by country 2013
- Revenue of iron ore mining in the U.S., 2008-2013Revenue of iron ore mining in the U.S., 2008-2013
- Iron ore prices monthly 2013-2014Iron ore prices monthly 2013-2014
- Iron ore prices 2003-2013Iron ore prices 2003-2013
- Production of iron ore China 1960-2012Production of iron ore China 1960-2012
- China: crude oil extraction by month September 2014China: crude oil extraction by month September 2014
- China: alumina mining by month September 2014China: alumina mining by month September 2014
- Synthetic diamond production worldwide 2007-2012Synthetic diamond production worldwide 2007-2012
- Revenue of the chemical industry worldwide 2002-2013Revenue of the chemical industry worldwide 2002-2013
- Global chemical revenue by region 2013Global chemical revenue by region 2013
- Diesel price per liter in selected countries - August 2014Diesel price per liter in selected countries - August 2014