Get a free account in less than 60 seconds. ?
Number of deaths caused by drought worldwide from 1900 to 2014*
|Number of deaths|
|Soviet Union (1921)||1,200,000|
|Ethiopia (May 1983)||300,000|
|Sudan, (April 1983)||150,000|
|Ethiopia (December 1973)||100,000|
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
This statistic illustrates deaths due to drought worldwide from 1900 to 2014. The dry period of April 1983 in Sudan caused around 150,000 deaths.
Deaths due to drought worldwide
The Center for Research on the Epidemiology of Disasters tracks the number of deaths caused by drought worldwide. Data they published ranked the 1928 drought in the People’s Republic of China as the deadliest drought during the period between 1900 and 2014, causing the deaths of an estimated three million individuals. This drought in the Chinese provinces of Henan, Shaanxi and Gansu brought about crop failure and widespread famine. It lasted from 1928 to 1930 and effects were exacerbated by insufficient or inefficient government relief and aide.
Though China’s drought of 1928 is listed as the deadliest drought event, India’s drought of May 1987 is reported to have affected over 300 million individuals. During this weather disaster, India’s northern grain lands were hit hardest, cutting deeply into grain and milk production. Less than a third of the country received normal rainfall that year—rainfall deficiency was at 26 percent—but in this instance the government was able to prevent much suffering by distributing stored food.
It is estimated that in the period from 1900 to 2013, the United States suffered 20 billion U.S. dollars in economic loss due to a major drought in 2012. China suffered 13.8 billion U.S. dollars of loss in 1994. Other natural disasters that often cause death are tropical cyclones, severe thunderstorms and wildfires. In the United States in 2012, there were 143 deaths caused by tropical cyclone. Thirteen people died of wildfire that year. The United States ranks second on the list of countries with the most natural disasters in 2011, due in great part to the 14 meteorological disasters that occurred that year.
- United States - fatalities due to natural disasters 2013United States - fatalities due to natural disasters 2013
- Natural disasters in the U.S. that caused the most fatalities 1900-2014Natural disasters in the U.S. that caused the most fatalities 1900-2014
- United States - estimated insured losses due to natural disasters 2011United States - estimated insured losses due to natural disasters 2011
- Natural disasters - most fatalities 2012Natural disasters - most fatalities 2012
- Natural disasters - countries with the most fatalities 2012Natural disasters - countries with the most fatalities 2012
- Civilian deaths in Iraq war 2003 - 2014Civilian deaths in Iraq war 2003 - 2014
- Earthquakes that caused the most economic damage in the U.S. 1900-2014Earthquakes that caused the most economic damage in the U.S. 1900-2014
- Major floods in the U.S. from 1900 to 2014, by number of people affectedMajor floods in the U.S. from 1900 to 2014, by number of people affected
- Satisfaction with gun policy in the US 2014Satisfaction with gun policy in the US 2014
- Monthly family expenditure in the United Kingdom (UK) 2012-2013, by family typeMonthly family expenditure in the United Kingdom (UK) 2012-2013, by family type
- Population of the U.S. by ethnicity 2000-2013Population of the U.S. by ethnicity 2000-2013