Number of available apps in the iTunes App Store from 2008 to 2013 (cumulative)
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
This time series shows the number of available apps in the Apple App Store from 2008 to 2013. In 2013, the App Store offered 151,461 gaming apps; this figure had more than doubled since July 2011. In contrast, during that period of time the store had 721,270 non-gaming apps available.
iTunes App Store The Apple App Store opened on July 10, 2008 via an update to iTunes. This coincided with Apple’s launch of the second-generation iPhone 3G which supported mobile apps. Apps from the store can be downloaded directly to an iOS device such as an iPhone or iPad, or onto a personal computer via iTunes. Applications in the App Store are usually aimed at iOS devices and may make use of the specific attributes of those devices, such as motion sensors for game controls and cameras for online video calling. Mobile applications downloaded via the desktop version of iTunes are usually synchronized to iOS devices upon connection.
As of July 2013, the most popular Apple App Store category was gaming with almost 17 percent of apps being games. The second most popular app category was education, followed by entertainment and lifestyle apps. Mobile gaming apps usually generate the majority of their revenue through advertising and in-app purchases with only little more than a third of games being paid downloads. Popular gaming apps in the App Store include Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, Doodle Jump, Words with Friends and Candy Crush Saga, the currently top grossing iOS game.
- Kickstarter: total amount of funding pledged as of July 2014Kickstarter: total amount of funding pledged as of July 2014
- Share of eyewear sold online in the United States 2009-2012, by typeShare of eyewear sold online in the United States 2009-2012, by type
- Eyewear products U.S. consumers would purchase with internet assistance 2011Eyewear products U.S. consumers would purchase with internet assistance 2011
- Black Friday: number of items per online order 2011-2013Black Friday: number of items per online order 2011-2013
- Average U.S. online furniture store purchases made with a credit card 2011Average U.S. online furniture store purchases made with a credit card 2011
- King: number of monthly paying users as of 2nd quarter 2014King: number of monthly paying users as of 2nd quarter 2014
- King's gross bookings and revenue as of 2nd quarter 2014King's gross bookings and revenue as of 2nd quarter 2014
- King's gross bookings as of 2nd quarter 2014, by channelKing's gross bookings as of 2nd quarter 2014, by channel
- App stores - Statista Dossier 2013App stores - Statista Dossier 2013
- Mobile app monetization - Statista Dossier 2014Mobile app monetization - Statista Dossier 2014
- Mobile commerce - Statista Dossier 2014Mobile commerce - Statista Dossier 2014
- App Annie Index: 2013 RetrospectiveApp Annie Index: 2013 Retrospective
- Mobile App Advertising and Monetization Trends 2012-2017Mobile App Advertising and Monetization Trends 2012-2017
- B2C Retail e-commerce in the United States 2014B2C Retail e-commerce in the United States 2014
Report included in Corporate Account only
- Biggest internet companies worldwide as of June 2014Biggest internet companies worldwide as of June 2014
- Music revenue worldwide in 2012, by sourceMusic revenue worldwide in 2012, by source
- Online retail spending in the United Kingdom (UK) 2000-2013Online retail spending in the United Kingdom (UK) 2000-2013