Get a free account in less than 60 seconds. ?
Number of available apps in the iTunes App Store from 2008 to 2014 (cumulative)
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
This time series shows the number of available apps in the Apple App Store from 2008 to 2014. In 2014, the App Store offered 223,988 gaming apps; this figure had more than doubled since July 2012. In contrast, during that period of time the store had 958,048 non-gaming apps available.
iTunes App Store The Apple App Store opened on July 10, 2008 via an update to iTunes. This coincided with Apple’s launch of the second-generation iPhone 3G which supported mobile apps. Apps from the store can be downloaded directly to an iOS device such as an iPhone or iPad, or onto a personal computer via iTunes. Applications in the App Store are usually aimed at iOS devices and may make use of the specific attributes of those devices, such as motion sensors for game controls and cameras for online video calling. Mobile applications downloaded via the desktop version of iTunes are usually synchronized to iOS devices upon connection.
As of July 2013, the most popular Apple App Store category was gaming with almost 17 percent of apps being games. The second most popular app category was education, followed by entertainment and lifestyle apps. Mobile gaming apps usually generate the majority of their revenue through advertising and in-app purchases with only little more than a third of games being paid downloads. Popular gaming apps in the App Store include Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, Doodle Jump, Words with Friends and Candy Crush Saga, the currently top grossing iOS game.
- Kickstarter: total amount of funding pledged as of July 2014Kickstarter: total amount of funding pledged as of July 2014
- Share of eyewear sold online in the United States 2009-2012, by typeShare of eyewear sold online in the United States 2009-2012, by type
- Eyewear products U.S. consumers would purchase with internet assistance 2011Eyewear products U.S. consumers would purchase with internet assistance 2011
- Black Friday: number of items per online order 2011-2013Black Friday: number of items per online order 2011-2013
- Average U.S. online furniture store purchases made with a credit card 2011Average U.S. online furniture store purchases made with a credit card 2011
- Video game retail sales revenue in the UK 2012-2013, by sales channelVideo game retail sales revenue in the UK 2012-2013, by sales channel
- Retail app usage frequency in the United States 2014Retail app usage frequency in the United States 2014
- Starbucks weekly mobile app transactions 2012-2014Starbucks weekly mobile app transactions 2012-2014
- United States: number of digital shoppers 2010-2018United States: number of digital shoppers 2010-2018
- U.S. manufacturing shipments e-commerce value 2003-2012U.S. manufacturing shipments e-commerce value 2003-2012
- Total and e-commerce U.S. retail trade sales 2000-2012Total and e-commerce U.S. retail trade sales 2000-2012