Get a free account in less than 60 seconds. ?
Number of internet users in selected countries as of February 2014 (in millions)
|Number of internet users (in millions)|
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
This statistic gives information on the number of internet users in selected countries as of February 2014. During the survey period, China had 354.6 million internet users. The United States was ranked second, as 194.7 million Americans aged 15 years and older accessed the internet.
Billions of people already use the internet worldwide, and the number of internet users continues to grow. The majority of internet users are located in Asia; China and Indonisia are two expanding Asian markets, while Japan and South Korea were early adopters. South Korea boasts the fastest internet connection speed worldwide, and as of 2012, internet penetration in South Korea was 84.10 percent. Internet penetration in Japan reached 79.05 that year. The markets in the BRIC countries, Brazil, Russia, India and China, have also shown strong development in internet usage. Internet penetration in India grew from 1.5 percent in 2002 to 13 percent by 2012.
Growth in the number of internet users worldwide has been strongly fuelled by pervasive mobile technology and the increasing availability of cheap technology in previous disconnected or under-connected markets. Smartphones and tablet devices have become important tools that further internet usage around the globe. It is predicted that three in four inhabitants of South Korea will have a mobile internet connection by 2016.
Increasing internet penetration and increased online usage possibilities are changing the lives of web users, enabling them to participate in online shopping, online video, online search, digital social networking and many other online-enabled activities. In October 2012, over 300 million users watched online videos on Youku, China’s leading online video website.
Meanwhile, many sectors of online activity are currently dominated by multi-billion dollar companies and transnational corporations like Google, Facebook or Amazon and their local pendants Baidu, Weibo or Rakuten. These companies’ positions as market leaders in their respective fields allow them to shape internet usage and online buying patterns of users worldwide.
- Countries with the fastest average internet connection speed 2014Countries with the fastest average internet connection speed 2014
Countries with the highest average internet connection speed as of 2nd quarter 2014 (in Mbps)
- Share of U.S. Americans with internet accessShare of U.S. Americans with internet access
Percentage of U.S. Americans with internet access from 2000 to 2011
- Households with internet access worldwide in 2014, by region+Households with internet access worldwide in 2014, by region
Percentage of households with internet access worldwide in 2014, by region
- EU countries: households with internet access 2006-2013+EU countries: households with internet access 2006-2013
Percentage of households with internet access in EU countries from 2006 to 2013
- U.S. home broadband and dial-up internet connection usage 2013U.S. home broadband and dial-up internet connection usage 2013
Percentage of households in the United States in 2013, by internet subscription
- Most played PC games 2014Most played PC games 2014
- Leading U.S. social media websites in December 2014Leading U.S. social media websites in December 2014
- Twitter accounts with the most followers worldwide as of December 2014Twitter accounts with the most followers worldwide as of December 2014
- Number of daily active Facebook users worldwide as of 3rd quarter 2014Number of daily active Facebook users worldwide as of 3rd quarter 2014
- MMO games market revenue worldwide 2013-2017, by typeMMO games market revenue worldwide 2013-2017, by type
- Worldwide mobile retail commerce revenue 2012-2018Worldwide mobile retail commerce revenue 2012-2018