Get a free account in less than 60 seconds. ?
Number of internet users in selected countries as of February 2014 (in millions)
|Number of internet users (in millions)|
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
This statistic gives information on the number of internet users in selected countries as of February 2014. During the survey period, China had 354.6 million internet users. The United States was ranked second, as 194.7 million Americans aged 15 years and older accessed the internet.
Billions of people already use the internet worldwide, and the number of internet users continues to grow. The majority of internet users are located in Asia; China and Indonisia are two expanding Asian markets, while Japan and South Korea were early adopters. South Korea boasts the fastest internet connection speed worldwide, and as of 2012, internet penetration in South Korea was 84.10 percent. Internet penetration in Japan reached 79.05 that year. The markets in the BRIC countries, Brazil, Russia, India and China, have also shown strong development in internet usage. Internet penetration in India grew from 1.5 percent in 2002 to 13 percent by 2012.
Growth in the number of internet users worldwide has been strongly fuelled by pervasive mobile technology and the increasing availability of cheap technology in previous disconnected or under-connected markets. Smartphones and tablet devices have become important tools that further internet usage around the globe. It is predicted that three in four inhabitants of South Korea will have a mobile internet connection by 2016.
Increasing internet penetration and increased online usage possibilities are changing the lives of web users, enabling them to participate in online shopping, online video, online search, digital social networking and many other online-enabled activities. In October 2012, over 300 million users watched online videos on Youku, China’s leading online video website.
Meanwhile, many sectors of online activity are currently dominated by multi-billion dollar companies and transnational corporations like Google, Facebook or Amazon and their local pendants Baidu, Weibo or Rakuten. These companies’ positions as market leaders in their respective fields allow them to shape internet usage and online buying patterns of users worldwide.
- Countries with the fastest average internet connection speed 2014Countries with the fastest average internet connection speed 2014
- Share of U.S. Americans with internet accessShare of U.S. Americans with internet access
- Households with internet access worldwide in 2014, by regionHouseholds with internet access worldwide in 2014, by region
- EU countries: households with internet access 2006-2013EU countries: households with internet access 2006-2013
- U.S. home broadband and dial-up internet connection usage 2011U.S. home broadband and dial-up internet connection usage 2011
- Japan: online user attitudes towards new technologies 2013Japan: online user attitudes towards new technologies 2013
- Most popular product brands on Facebook in October 2014Most popular product brands on Facebook in October 2014
- Daily active users of the most popular Facebook games as of October 2014Daily active users of the most popular Facebook games as of October 2014
- Worldwide mobile retail commerce revenue 2012-2018Worldwide mobile retail commerce revenue 2012-2018
- Selected companies recently acquired by Alibaba Group China 2014, by value of stakeSelected companies recently acquired by Alibaba Group China 2014, by value of stake
- Digital games industry revenue in the U.S. 2014, by categoryDigital games industry revenue in the U.S. 2014, by category