Get a free account in less than 60 seconds. ?
National debt in the member states of the European Union in the 4th quarter 2013 (in million euros)
|National debt in million euros|
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
This statistic shows the national debt in the member states of the European Union in the fourth quarter of 2013. The data refer to the entire state and are comprised of the debts of central government, provinces, municipalities, local authorities and social security. In the fourth quarter of 2013, Greece's national debt amounted to about 318.7 billion euros.
National debt in the EU member states
National or government debt is the debt owed by a central government. No country in the European Union is debt-free, although some are able to manage their debts better than others. Debt is influenced by the economic situation of a country, factors such as unemployment, the rate of inflation or the trade figures have a significant impact on its extent, and are, in turn, influenced by the national debt.
The economic crisis has hit some EU countries harder than others; Spain, Ireland and Greece especially have been struggling economically since 2008. Greece’s national debt has skyrocketed over the past few years, and the same can be said about Spain and Ireland. Other EU countries, like France and the United Kingdom have been affected as well, albeit not as severely.
The national debt of a country can be reduced by applying several measures: money can be borrowed (for example in the form of rescue packages), austerity programs can be enforced, taxes can be increased or central banks can inject liquidity into the economy through the implementation of quantitative easing policies. Some critics of the policy claim that this could lead to a higher level of inflation, which, if severe enough, could have a detrimental impact on living standards.
- General gross debt of the European Union and the euro area 2012General gross debt of the European Union and the euro area 2012
European Union and euro area: general gross debt from 2009 to 2012 (in trillion euros)
- National debt of France 2014National debt of France 2014
France: National debt from 2004 to 2014 (in billion euros)
- Countries with the lowest national debt 2014Countries with the lowest national debt 2014
The 20 countries with the lowest national debt in 2014 in relation to gross domestic product (GDP)
- National debt of the United Kingdom in relation to gross domestic product (GDP) 2014National debt of the United Kingdom in relation to gross domestic product (GDP) 2014
United Kingdom: National debt in relation to gross domestic product (GDP) from 2004 to 2014
- National debt of France in relation to gross domestic product (GDP) 2014National debt of France in relation to gross domestic product (GDP) 2014
France: National debt in relation to gross domestic product (GDP) from 2004 to 2014
- Most-sold MPV models in China January-November 2014, by sales volumeMost-sold MPV models in China January-November 2014, by sales volume
- Vehicle sales in China 2008-2014Vehicle sales in China 2008-2014
- Monthly value of exports from China by month November 2014Monthly value of exports from China by month November 2014
- Inflation rate in Iraq 2014Inflation rate in Iraq 2014
- Gross domestic product (GDP) per capita in Iraq 2014Gross domestic product (GDP) per capita in Iraq 2014
- Gross domestic product (GDP) in Iraq 2014Gross domestic product (GDP) in Iraq 2014