Get a free account in less than 60 seconds. ?
Number of World of Warcraft subscribers from 1st quarter 2005 to 2nd quarter 2014 (in millions)
|Subscribers in millions|
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
This statistic shows the number of active subscriptions for the MMORPG World of Warcraft online game from the first quarter of 2005 to the second quarter of 2014. In the last quarter of 2012, World of Warcraft had a subscriber base of 9.6 million.
World of Warcaft – additional information
World of Warcraft reached the peak of its popularity in the second half of 2010, when Activision Blizzard’s estimates put the number of global subscribers at 12 million. Before that, the number had been climbing steadily from 1.5 million in the first quarter of 2005, exceeding five million in the fourth quarter of 2006 and 10 million in the fourth quarter of 2007. In 2011, the figures started falling and by the first quarter of 2014, they decreased to the 2006 level.
World of Warcraft is the fourth in the series of games published by Blizzard Entertainment, after “Orcs & Humans,” “Tides of Darkness,” and “The Frozen Throne.” It was released in late November 2004; the date was not arbitrary – the release celebrated the 10th anniversary of the whole franchise. As of May 2014, four expansions to the game had been released, with the fifth – “Warlords of Draenor” – announced to appear on the market in fall 2014.
In 2012, WoW publisher Activision Blizzard was the most successful video games publisher in Europe and the United States, holding nearly 20 percent of the market. The company’s 2013 annual revenue amounted to 4.48 billion U.S. dollars, out of which more than one billion constitutes the company’s net income. The company has also created such games as Call of Duty, Guitar Hero, and StarCraft.
- Most played PC games in March 2014Most played PC games in March 2014
- Best selling PC games of all time worldwide as of May 2014Best selling PC games of all time worldwide as of May 2014
- Leading subscription-based MMO games 2013, by revenueLeading subscription-based MMO games 2013, by revenue
- Distribution of World of Warcraft Horde characters in 2014, by raceDistribution of World of Warcraft Horde characters in 2014, by race
- Distribution of World of Warcraft Alliance characters in 2014, by classDistribution of World of Warcraft Alliance characters in 2014, by class
- Number of Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft players worldwide 2014Number of Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft players worldwide 2014
- Types of video games played in the U.S. 2014Types of video games played in the U.S. 2014
- Number of pay TV subscribers in Brazil 2013-2014, by providerNumber of pay TV subscribers in Brazil 2013-2014, by provider
- Market Research: Global distribution of revenues by method of surveyMarket Research: Global distribution of revenues by method of survey
- Reasons for declining magazine readership in the United Kingdom (UK) 2012Reasons for declining magazine readership in the United Kingdom (UK) 2012
- Distribution of U.S. advertising spending in 2012, by mediumDistribution of U.S. advertising spending in 2012, by medium