U.S. Agriculture - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about U.S. agriculture
Thanks to its natural resources and land conditions, the United States was always destined to be one of the world’s leading agricultural producers and suppliers. Recent statistics show that in 2011 U.S. agriculture generated a gross output of more than 374 billion U.S. dollars, and employed more than 750 thousand people around the country.
Across the U.S. there are numerous farms of various sizes. In 2010, the total number of farms stood at approximately 2.2 million. On average, farms in the U.S. are around 418 acres in size and in total there are nearly 920 million acres of farmland across the country, of which around one third is operated by full owners. Altogether the real estate value of farming land in the U.S. amounts to approximately two trillion U.S. dollars.
The United States is a major player in the global trade of agricultural products. In 2010, exports of agricultural products were worth some 116 billion U.S. dollars. The most important countries of destination were China, Canada and Mexico. On the other side, imports worth around 82 billion U.S. dollars made their way into the United States. Principal countries of origin were Canada, the European Union and Mexico.
Farming also involves significant production costs. In the United States, expenditure totaled more than 287 billion U.S. dollars in 2010. A closer look at the composition of these costs shows that feed makes up the largest share, followed by farm services, livestock and poultry.
Over the last decade, the issue of genetic engineering has increasingly been on the agenda. The United States has by far the highest acreage of genetically modified crops worldwide. Some crops have a very high share of GM crops per species. For example in 2011, 94 percent of all soybeans planted in the U.S. were genetically modified so as to be herbicide tolerant.
Photo: sxc.hu / kovik
|Gross output of U.S. farming||$374,174m||Details →|
|Value added by U.S. farming||$138,666m||Details →|
|Employment in U.S. farming||751k||Details →|
|Farms and Farmland||Values||Statistic|
|Total number of farms in the U.S.||2,102,010||Details →|
|Average farm size in the U.S.||435ac||Details →|
|Percentage of U.S. farmland operated by full owners||36.8%||Details →|
|Export and Import||Values||Statistic|
|Total value of U.S. agricultural exports||$136.3bn||Details →|
|Value of U.S. agricultural exports to China||$17.52bn||Details →|
|Value of U.S. agricultural exports to Mexico||$18.37bn||Details →|
|Total value of U.S. argricultural imports||$98.9bn||Details →|
|Value of U.S. agricultural imports from the European Union||$16.07bn||Details →|
|Total U.S. grain production||436.2m t||Details →|
|Total U.S. red meat production||49,271m lb||Details →|
|Total milk production in the U.S.||206,046m lb||Details →|
- Gross output of U.S. farming 1998-2011+Gross output of U.S. farming 1998-2011
Gross output of U.S. farming from 1998 to 2011 (in million U.S. dollars)
- Number of farms in the U.S 2000-2013Number of farms in the U.S 2000-2013
Total number of farms in the U.S from 2000 to 2013*
- Acreage of genetically modified crops by country 2004-2014+Acreage of genetically modified crops by country 2004-2014
Acreage of genetically modified crops worldwide from 2004 to 2014, by leading country (in million hectares)
- The complete topic in one convenient package
- Instant access and download
- Great time-saver
- Forecast: revenue cleaning activities - other Germany 2008-2020Forecast: revenue cleaning activities - other Germany 2008-2020
- Forecast: revenue pesticide manufacture UK 2008-2020Forecast: revenue pesticide manufacture UK 2008-2020
- Forecast: revenue chemical and fertilizer mineral mining Germany 2009-2020Forecast: revenue chemical and fertilizer mineral mining Germany 2009-2020
- Forecast: revenue agricultural and textile sales agents Germany 2008-2020Forecast: revenue agricultural and textile sales agents Germany 2008-2020
- Forecast: revenue cleaning activities - other UK 2008-2020Forecast: revenue cleaning activities - other UK 2008-2020