Health & Fitness Clubs - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on Health & Fitness Clubs
Health and fitness clubs provide their customers with the infrastructure for their workouts and physical activity in exchange for a membership fee. The global fitness and health club industry generates more than 75 billion U.S. dollars in revenue according to the 2013 IHRSA Global Report, which deals with the state of the health club industry.
The North American market (United States & Canada) had an estimated size of 24.4 billion U.S. dollars in 2012, of which 90 percent, around 21.83 billion U.S. dollars, was attributable to the United States. The U.S. is the single biggest market in the industry, almost 3.5 times the size of the second largest in the world – the United Kingdom.
The global market is fragmented with no particular chain taking a large share of the worldwide market. Market leaders are rather limited to more local (countries, geographical region) ranks. Amongst the health & fitness club companies with revenues in excess of one billion U.S. dollars in 2012 are Life Time Fitness, Virgin Active, Konami Sports & Life and 24 Hour Fitness USA.
In 2012, a total of more than 150 thousand fitness & health clubs were in operation worldwide, of which about 30.5 thousand are located in the United States. These clubs in the U.S. had about 50 million members. Globally around 130 million people were members of a health/fitness club.
The personal goals of health club members depend in some part on their age. More than 90 percent of health club members that are at least 66 years of age, for example, say that they train at a fitness center because they “need to stay healthy”, only about 47 percent of 16-to-20-year-olds cite this reason. The price of membership is the main reason why people either don’t join a health club at all (55.8%) or why they quit their membership (52.2%).
Photo: sxc.hu / atroszko
|Global Health & Fitness Market||Values||Statistic|
|Market size of global health club industry||$78.17bn||Details →|
|Revenue of Life Time Fitness, Inc.||$1,127m||Details →|
|Number of health and fitness clubs worldwide||165,300||Details →|
|Number of members of health/fitness clubs worldwide||138.75m||Details →|
|Fitness & Health Clubs in the U.S.||Values||Statistic|
|Health club industry revenue in the U.S.||$22.4bn||Details →|
|Number of health and fitness clubs in the U.S.||32,150||Details →|
|Number of members at health and fitness clubs in the U.S.||52.9m||Details →|
|Fitness & Exercise Equipment||Values||Statistic|
|Wholesale sales of sports exercise equipment in the U.S.||$4.84bn||Details →|
|Average retail price of stationary exercise bicycles in the U.S.||$299.66||Details →|
- Health club industry: Worldwide revenue by region 2014+Health club industry: Worldwide revenue by region 2014
Worldwide health club industry revenue by region from 2009 to 2014 (in billion U.S. dollars)*
- Health clubs - total number by region worldwide 2009-2014+Health clubs - total number by region worldwide 2009-2014
Total number of health clubs worldwide by region 2009 to 2014*
- Total number of members of health/fitness clubs worldwide 2014, by region+Total number of members of health/fitness clubs worldwide 2014, by region
Number of members in health and fitness clubs worldwide by region from 2009 to 2014 (in millions)*
- The complete topic in one convenient package
- Instant access and download
- Great time-saver
- Forecast: revenue fitness and recreational sports centers US 2008-2020Forecast: revenue fitness and recreational sports centers US 2008-2020
- Forecast: revenue fitness facilities Turkey 2009-2020Forecast: revenue fitness facilities Turkey 2009-2020
- Forecast: fitness facilities revenue Argentina 2008-2018Forecast: fitness facilities revenue Argentina 2008-2018
- Forecast: fitness facilities revenue New Zealand 2008-2018Forecast: fitness facilities revenue New Zealand 2008-2018
- Forecast: fitness facilities revenue Chile 2008-2018Forecast: fitness facilities revenue Chile 2008-2018