Internet Usage in China - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about Internet Usage in China
China had 564 million netizens as of December 2012, accounting for more than one-fifth of the world’s population of internet users. This puts China’s total internet penetration at 42.1 percent. The number of users, who accessed the internet from their mobile phones reached nearly 356 million as of 2011. Instant messaging ranked first in online activities with 415 million users, followed by search engine usage, and listening to online music. As of 2011, internet users spent an average of 13 hours watching online videos, 4.5 hours listening to online music and 4.5 hours playing online games during the week.
As of 2011, Tencent was the leading internet company in China ranked by revenue, market value, and total unique visitors. Baidu, placed second, generated 2.3 billion U.S dollars revenue and had a market value of 38.8 billion U.S. dollars. With a market share of 61 percent, calculated by visits, Baidu is the leading search engine in China as of October 2012.
More information on global internet usage can be found here.
Overview of the most important facts:
- Number of internet users in China from December 2005 to December 2012
- Number of mobile internet users in China from 2008 to 2015
- Number of internet users in China in 2010 and 2011, according to online activity
- Revenue of the leading listed internet companies in China in 2011
Picture: istockphoto.com / hronos7, geopaul; freeimages.com / elementa1
- Activities of internet users in China in 2013Activities of internet users in China in 2013
Number of internet users in China in 2012 and 2013, by activity (in millions)
- Income distribution of internet users in China 2013Income distribution of internet users in China 2013
Monthly income of internet users in China in December 2012 and December 2013
- Search engine revenue in China until 2016Search engine revenue in China until 2016
Revenue of search engines in China from 2006 to 2016 (in billion yuan)
- Most popular online services in China in 2011, by number of daily usersMost popular online services in China in 2011, by number of daily users
Most popular online services in China in December 2011, by number of daily unique users (in millions)
- Number of internet users worldwide in February 2014, by countryNumber of internet users worldwide in February 2014, by country
- Global number of worldwide internet users 2000-2014Global number of worldwide internet users 2000-2014
- Countries with the highest number of internet users 2013Countries with the highest number of internet users 2013