Mobile Commerce - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about Mobile Commerce
In 2013, combined mobile travel and mobile retail commerce revenue in the United States amounted to 58.5 billion U.S. dollars. Currently, approximately 98 million people in the United States are mobile buyers.
• Number of mobile buyers in the United States
• Average spending per U.S. proximity mobile payment transaction user
Mobile retail properties such as apps as well as the mobile web presence of online retailers form the bulk of mobile commerce. As of March 2014, the share of mobile-only visitors to leading retail properties amounted to up to 60 percent. Whereas well-known online retailers are able to draw large online audiences through their mobile presence, smaller shopping apps such as Shopkick are able to generate a higher level of user engagement through innovative shopping experiences and features.
• Most popular mobile retail categories of U.S. smartphone shoppers
• Composition of mobile retail visitors in the United States, by age group
• Composition of mobile retail visitors in the United States, by household income
Mobile device usage has also increased steadily through traffic and conversion rates – in 2015, 60.6 percent of top 500 e-tailer traffic is expected to come from smartphones and tablet conversion rate currently stands a mere fraction behind PC shopper conversion.
• U.S. smartphone usage for shopping-related activities
• U.S. tablet usage for shopping-related activities
• Average value of U.S. mobile shopping orders, by tablet device
• Conversion rate of U.S. tablet shoppers, by device
The continuous development of mobile payment also plays a significant role in the spread of mobile commerce. Mobile payments such as premium SMS, direct mobile billing, web based payments (including apps) and contactless NFC are currently being explored and developed by various payment providers such as PayPal, Google Wallet and Square.
• Mobile payment methods used on smartphones in selected countries, ranked by usage
• Number of mobile payment users in North America
Recently, mobile shopping has had a great influence on retail sales, either through showrooming, mobile holiday shopping or multi-device usage. Mobile commerce has already arrived.
istockphoto.com / alexsl
|Retail m-commerce sales in the U.S.||$56.72bn||Details →|
|U.S. mobile retail commerce sales as percentage of retail e-commerce sales||19%||Details →|
|Leading global e-retailer, ranked by mobile commerce sales||Amazon.com||Details →|
|Leading retail chain, ranked by mobile e-commerce sales||Wal-Mart Stores Inc.||Details →|
|Number of tablet buyers in the U.S.||87.7m||Details →|
|Number of smartphone buyers in the U.S.||65.2m||Details →|
|Most popular retail websites in the U.S., ranked by visitors||Amazon Sites||Details →|
- Global online shopping order value in 4th quarter 2014, by deviceGlobal online shopping order value in 4th quarter 2014, by device
Average value of global online shopping orders in 4th quarter 2014, by device (in U.S. dollars)
- U.S. smartphone retail m-commerce revenue 2011-2018U.S. smartphone retail m-commerce revenue 2011-2018
Retail m-commerce sales via smartphone in the United States from 2011 to 2018 (in billion U.S. dollars)
- EU5: smartphone buyer penetration as of March 2014, by countryEU5: smartphone buyer penetration as of March 2014, by country
Smartphone buyer penetration in Europe as of March 2014, by country
- EU5: leading m-commerce product categories amongst smartphone buyers 2014EU5: leading m-commerce product categories amongst smartphone buyers 2014
Most popular mobile commerce product categories among smartphone buyers in Europe as of March 2014
- Mobile-only visitors to leading U.S. retail properties in March 2014Mobile-only visitors to leading U.S. retail properties in March 2014
Share of mobile-only visitors to leading retail properties in the United States in March 2014
- Number of mobile commerce users in the UK Q3 2013-Q2 2016, by amount spentNumber of mobile commerce users in the UK Q3 2013-Q2 2016, by amount spent
- Number of mobile commerce users in the United Kingdom (UK) Q3 2013-Q2 2016Number of mobile commerce users in the United Kingdom (UK) Q3 2013-Q2 2016
- Annual mobile e-commerce spending in Europe from 2010 to 2014Annual mobile e-commerce spending in Europe from 2010 to 2014