U.S. Homosexuality - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on Homosexuality in the U.S.
Approximately one in 100 American women and two in 100 American men identify as homosexual, with another four percent of Americans identifying as bisexual. Homosexuality is still a controversial topic in the United States, but polls and surveys regarding its moral acceptability or the legalization of same-sex marriage show an obvious trend towards acceptance and tolerance of the LGBT community among the American population.
Additionally, the nature vs. nurture discussion regarding sexual orientation has been changing direction significantly over the last few years: While a remarkable majority of Americans still believed that identifying as gay or lesbian was due to upbringing or environmental factors a few years ago, the notion of sexual orientation not being a choice or acquired trait that can be stripped off has been gaining momentum recently.
When U.S. President Barack Obama supported same-sex marriage openly during his re-election campaign in 2012, almost half of all surveyed Republicans predictably stated their opinion of him had had become less favorable, however, a remarkable total majority of all polled Democrats, Independents and Republicans together said that his statement had no effect on their opinion at all, a stance shared by the general public .
All in all, while tolerance is on the rise, the younger generations in particular think that same-sex relations and same-sex marriage are not only morally acceptable, but should also be legalized by the authorities. In the United States, same-sex marriage is allowed in some states (such as New York, Connecticut, or New Hampshire), while others recognize same-sex marriages but do not perform them. In numerous other states, the issue is currently being debated, and it is expected that some of them will follow suit and either allow or recognize gay marriage in the future.
Photo: Wikimedia/cc, Hotshot977
|Share of adult men who identify as gay in the U.S.||2.2%||Details →|
|Share of adult women who identify as lesbian in the U.S.||1.1%||Details →|
|Percentage of Americans saying gay/lesbian relations are morally acceptable||63%||Details →|
|Lifestyle and Consumption||Values||Statistic|
|Gay men agreeing they live in an urban/big city environment||42.2%||Details →|
|Gay and lesbian Americans living with spouse/partner/lover||46.3%||Details →|
|Gay and lesbian Americans average weekly expenditure on restaurants||$66.89||Details →|
- Britons in a same-sex relationship who would marry their partner if permitted, by genderBritons in a same-sex relationship who would marry their partner if permitted, by gender
Would you get married to your same-sex partner if the law permitted it? (United Kingdom, 2012)
- LGBT opinion: separating marriage/Civil Partnership and attitudes toward gay peopleLGBT opinion: separating marriage/Civil Partnership and attitudes toward gay people
Do you agree or disagree that insisting on Civil Partnership and marriage to remain separate worsens attitudes towards gay people?
- Reasons for opposing same-sex marriage in the United States in 2012Reasons for opposing same-sex marriage in the United States in 2012
Why do you oppose same-sex marriage?
- Real estate property of gay and lesbian Americans in the U.S. in 2009+Real estate property of gay and lesbian Americans in the U.S. in 2009
Gay and Lesbian Americans: Do you own or rent your primary residence?
- The complete topic in one convenient package
- Instant access and download
- Great time-saver
- Potential reach of ad campaigns during Gay Pride Parade in the Netherlands 2016Potential reach of ad campaigns during Gay Pride Parade in the Netherlands 2016
- Survey on the legalization of same-sex marriages in the U.S. 1996 to 2015Survey on the legalization of same-sex marriages in the U.S. 1996 to 2015
- Americans' moral stance towards gay or lesbian relations in 2015Americans' moral stance towards gay or lesbian relations in 2015
- Sexual orientation: views on nature vs. nurture in the U.S. 1977-2015Sexual orientation: views on nature vs. nurture in the U.S. 1977-2015
- Number of straight and same-sex marriages in the Netherlands 2001-2013Number of straight and same-sex marriages in the Netherlands 2001-2013