U.S. Functional Foods Market - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on the functional foods market in the U.S.
The global market of functional food promises to have a bright future according to its compound annual growth rate of 6 percent between the period 2011-2015. At present, there is no universally accepted definition of functional foods. But, according to the International Food Information Council, functional foods are “foods or food components that may provide benefits beyond basic nutrition”. Popular product types worldwide include vitamins and dietary supplements, functional beverages such as sport and energy drinks, as well as products fortified with probiotics.
The U.S. market has been invigorated by foods containing added value and/or disease-preventing products. Thereby, each single market faces its own challenges. Functional beverages mainly gained attention by health-conscious consumers, driving sales to an estimated 18.6 billion U.S. dollars by 2015. Probiotics have been sold on the market since the very start of the functional foods age. Key players in this probiotic segment include, among others, General Mills and the Dannon Company, marketing their foods with health-promoting and wellness-maintaining attributes.
2013 survey results revealed that 90 percent of Americans strongly or somewhat agree that functional foods provide an additional benefit to their health. The same amount of consumers in the U.S. were very or at least somewhat interested in learning more about the relation between functional foods and the specific health benefits.
Photo: phtodune.net / arnau2098
|Global sales of functional foods||$190bn||Details →|
|North American sales of functional foods||$55bn||Details →|
|Global sales of functional beverages||$63bn||Details →|
|Global sales of multivitamins||$16.12bn||Details →|
|Vitamins & Multivitamins||Values||Statistic|
|Projected U.S. retail sales of vitamins & nutritional supplements by 2017||$36.1bn||Details →|
|Sales of Bayer Consumer Health||$356.8m||Details →|
|Sales growth of Nature's Way Products||49.3%||Details →|
|Retail sales of functional beverages in the U.S.||$17.9bn||Details →|
|Sales volume of energy drinks in the U.S.||181.1m gal||Details →|
|Sales of Red Bull||$3,429.3m||Details →|
|Sales of Gatorade Perform||$3,291.5m||Details →|
|Global sales of probiotic products||$30bn||Details →|
|U.S. sales of probiotic yogurt||$1,047m||Details →|
- U.S. vitamin sales via different sales channels 2011/2012U.S. vitamin sales via different sales channels 2011/2012
Vitamin sales via different distribution channels in the United States in 2011/2012 (in million U.S. dollars)
- Probiotic market: global sales by region 2010-2015Probiotic market: global sales by region 2010-2015
Sales of probiotic products worldwide from 2010 to 2015, by region (in billion U.S. dollars)
- U.S. consumers' opinions on the healthiest foods/ food groups 2013U.S. consumers' opinions on the healthiest foods/ food groups 2013
What food/food components come to mind as having health benefits beyond basic nutrition?
- Food market share of North America's leading 25 food retailers 2012Food market share of North America's leading 25 food retailers 2012
- Packaged organic food market size in the United Kingdom (UK) 2007-2017Packaged organic food market size in the United Kingdom (UK) 2007-2017
- Forecast for the leading 10 food markets worldwide 2015, based on volumeForecast for the leading 10 food markets worldwide 2015, based on volume
- Forecast: shipment value nonchocolate confectionery manufacture US 2008-2020Forecast: shipment value nonchocolate confectionery manufacture US 2008-2020
- Forecast: shipment value tortilla manufacture US 2008-2020Forecast: shipment value tortilla manufacture US 2008-2020
- Forecast: shipment value cacao chocolate & confectionery manufacture US 2008-2020Forecast: shipment value cacao chocolate & confectionery manufacture US 2008-2020
- Forecast: shipment value purchased chocolate confectionery manufacture US 2008-2020Forecast: shipment value purchased chocolate confectionery manufacture US 2008-2020
- Forecast: revenue reupholstery and furniture repair US 2008-2020Forecast: revenue reupholstery and furniture repair US 2008-2020