U.S. Functional Foods Market - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on the functional foods market in the U.S.
The global market of functional food promises to have a bright future according to its compound annual growth rate of 6 percent between the period 2011-2015. At present, there is no universally accepted definition of functional foods. But, according to the International Food Information Council, functional foods are “foods or food components that may provide benefits beyond basic nutrition”. Popular product types worldwide include vitamins and dietary supplements, functional beverages such as sport and energy drinks, as well as products fortified with probiotics.
The U.S. market has been invigorated by foods containing added value and/or disease-preventing products. Thereby, each single market faces its own challenges. Functional beverages mainly gained attention by health-conscious consumers, driving sales to an estimated 18.6 billion U.S. dollars by 2015. Probiotics have been sold on the market since the very start of the functional foods age. Key players in this probiotic segment include, among others, General Mills and the Dannon Company, marketing their foods with health-promoting and wellness-maintaining attributes.
2013 survey results revealed that 90 percent of Americans strongly or somewhat agree that functional foods provide an additional benefit to their health. The same amount of consumers in the U.S. were very or at least somewhat interested in learning more about the relation between functional foods and the specific health benefits.
Photo: phtodune.net / arnau2098
|Global sales of functional foods||$190bn||Details →|
|North American sales of functional foods||$55bn||Details →|
|Global sales of functional beverages||$63bn||Details →|
|Global sales of multivitamins||$16.12bn||Details →|
|Vitamins & Multivitamins||Values||Statistic|
|Projected U.S. retail sales of vitamins & nutritional supplements by 2017||$36.1bn||Details →|
|Sales of Bayer Healthcare||$334.9m||Details →|
|Sales growth of Nature's Way Products||39.7%||Details →|
|Retail sales of functional beverages in the U.S.||$17.9bn||Details →|
|Sales volume of energy drinks in the U.S.||181.1m gal||Details →|
|Sales of Red Bull||$3,733.1m||Details →|
|Sales of Gatorade Perform||$3,291.5m||Details →|
|Global sales of probiotic products||$30bn||Details →|
|U.S. sales of probiotic yogurt||$1,047m||Details →|
- U.S. vitamin sales via different sales channels 2011/2012+U.S. vitamin sales via different sales channels 2011/2012
Vitamin sales via different distribution channels in the United States in 2011/2012 (in million U.S. dollars)
- Probiotic market: global sales by region 2010-2015+Probiotic market: global sales by region 2010-2015
Sales of probiotic products worldwide from 2010 to 2015, by region (in billion U.S. dollars)
- U.S. consumers' opinions on the healthiest foods/ food groups 2013+U.S. consumers' opinions on the healthiest foods/ food groups 2013
What food/food components come to mind as having health benefits beyond basic nutrition?
- The complete topic in one convenient package
- Instant access and download
- Great time-saver
- Forecast: shipment value dog and cat food manufacture US 2008-2020Forecast: shipment value dog and cat food manufacture US 2008-2020
- Forecast: revenue general food & beverage store retail Germany 2008-2020Forecast: revenue general food & beverage store retail Germany 2008-2020
- Forecast: revenue fish, crustacean and mollusk production Germany 2008-2020Forecast: revenue fish, crustacean and mollusk production Germany 2008-2020
- Forecast: revenue prepared meal manufacture Germany 2008-2020Forecast: revenue prepared meal manufacture Germany 2008-2020
- Forecast: total revenue seafood preparation and packaging Canada 2008-2020Forecast: total revenue seafood preparation and packaging Canada 2008-2020