Frozen Desserts Industry - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on the frozen desserts industry in the U.S.
The frozen desserts industry belongs to the frozen foods category. Desserts are usually enjoyed at the end of a meal but may also be served as a refreshment or palate cleaner enjoyed between courses. No matter how or when they’re served, one thing we can be sure of is that those among us with a sweet tooth look to desserts as an indulgent way to satisfy our needs. The frozen desserts industry comprises categories such as regular and low-fat ice cream, frozen yogurt, sherbets, and other frozen desserts.
Industry statistics show that ice cream and sherbets had combined sales of 5.5 billion U.S. dollars in 2012, making it the second largest frozen food category behind frozen entrées and dinners. With its latest annual sales growth of 3.5 percent, this subcategory has put a smile on both manufacturers’ and retailers’ faces. Especially private label brands outsell branded products in the ice cream aisle, holding a market share of about 22 percent - as shown in the brands ranking.
Overall, ice cream is estimated to be consumed by over 90 percent of the total U.S. population. According to market research firm NPD Group, plain vanilla held on to the top spot as the favorite ice cream flavor among Americans with a consumption share of 27 percent as of July 2012. Plain chocolate (11 percent) and all other chocolate flavors (7 percent) rounded out the top three.
Another fun fact: July is national ice cream month in the United States.
Picture: freeimages.com / sundesigns
|Value of U.S. product shipments of ice cream and frozen desserts||$7.6bn||Details →|
|Quantity of frozen yogurt produced in the U.S.||60.7m gal||Details →|
|Ice cream production in California||131,321gal||Details →|
|Ice cream and sherbet sales in the U.S.||$9bn||Details →|
|Sales of Dreyer's Grand Ice Cream Holdings||$984.9m||Details →|
|Sales of Blue Bell||$537.4m||Details →|
|Per capita consumption of frozen dairy products in the U.S.||20.2lb||Details →|
|Per capita consumption of ice cream in the U.S.||11.5lb||Details →|
|Per capita consumption of frozen yogurt in the U.S.||1.4lb||Details →|
- Frozen yogurt production in the U.S. 2006-2012Frozen yogurt production in the U.S. 2006-2012
Quantity of frozen yogurt produced in the United States from 2006 to 2012 (in million gallons)
- Reasons influencing the buying behavior of frozen desserts 2012Reasons influencing the buying behavior of frozen desserts 2012
Consumers' reasons for buying fewer frozen desserts in the United States in 2012
- U.S. product innovations of frozen foods by category 2012U.S. product innovations of frozen foods by category 2012
Frozen food product innovations in the United States in 2012, by category (number of new items)
- Sales of the leading 10 ice cream brands of the U.S. 2013Sales of the leading 10 ice cream brands of the U.S. 2013
- Frozen food sales: Category market share in Europe 2013/14Frozen food sales: Category market share in Europe 2013/14
- Frozen food sales value in the United Kingdom (UK) 2013, by categoryFrozen food sales value in the United Kingdom (UK) 2013, by category