Frozen Desserts Industry - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on the frozen desserts industry in the U.S.
The frozen desserts industry belongs to the frozen foods category. Desserts are usually enjoyed at the end of a meal but may also be served as a refreshment or palate cleaner enjoyed between courses. No matter how or when they’re served, one thing we can be sure of is that those among us with a sweet tooth look to desserts as an indulgent way to satisfy our needs. The frozen desserts industry comprises categories such as regular and low-fat ice cream, frozen yogurt, sherbets, and other frozen sweet treats.
Industry statistics show that ice cream, novelties and dessert/fruit/toppings had combined sales of 11.81 billion U.S. dollars in 2014, making it the second largest frozen food category behind frozen prepared foods. With its latest annual sales growth of 3.6 percent, frozen dessert/fruit/toppings has put a smile on both manufacturers’ and retailers’ faces. Ice cream also showed a positive growth trend during the time period considered. Especially private label brands outsell branded products in the ice cream aisle, holding a market share of about 21.3 percent - as shown in the brands ranking.
Overall, ice cream is estimated to be consumed by about 88.5 percent of the total U.S. population. In 2013, the per capita consumption of frozen dairy products amounted to 21.9 pounds. A recent consumer survey revealed that some 15 percent of U.S. consumers rated the factor "frozen" as very important to them when purchasing foods and beverages in 2014. According to market research firm Harris Interactive, plain chocolate held on to the top spot as the favorite ice cream flavor among Americans with a share of 27 percent as of July 2013. Plain vanilla (23 percent) and cookie dough/cookies and cream (22 percent) rounded out the top three.
Another fun fact: July is national ice cream month in the United States.
Picture: freeimages.com / sundesigns
|Value of U.S. product shipments of ice cream and frozen desserts||$7.7 bn||Details →|
|Quantity of frozen yogurt produced in the U.S.||66.76m gal||Details →|
|Ice cream production in California||129,002gal||Details →|
|Ice cream sales in the U.S.||$5.89bn||Details →|
|Sales of Nestlé/Dreyers||$206.23m||Details →|
|Sales of Blue Bell||$570m||Details →|
|Per capita consumption of frozen dairy products in the U.S.||23lb||Details →|
|Per capita consumption of ice cream in the U.S.||12.8lb||Details →|
|Per capita consumption of frozen yogurt in the U.S.||1.5lb||Details →|
- Frozen yogurt production in the U.S. 2006-2014Frozen yogurt production in the U.S. 2006-2014
Quantity of frozen yogurt produced in the United States from 2006 to 2014 (in million gallons)
- Frozen yogurt sales: leading brands in the U.S. 2015+Frozen yogurt sales: leading brands in the U.S. 2015
Sales of the leading 10 frozen yogurt brands in the United States in 2015 (in million U.S. dollars)
- Consumption of frozen yogurt in the U.S. 2015+Consumption of frozen yogurt in the U.S. 2015
U.S. households: Do you eat frozen yogurt?
- U.S. dollar sales of frozen desserts, ice cream and ice by category 2014+U.S. dollar sales of frozen desserts, ice cream and ice by category 2014
Dollar sales of frozen desserts, ice cream and ice in the United States in 2014, by category (in million U.S. dollars)
- The complete topic in one convenient package
- Instant access and download
- Great time-saver
- Forecast: shipment value ice cream and frozen dessert manufacture US 2008-2020Forecast: shipment value ice cream and frozen dessert manufacture US 2008-2020
- Forecast: revenue sugar confectionery wholesale UK 2008-2020Forecast: revenue sugar confectionery wholesale UK 2008-2020
- Forecast: revenue sugar confectionery wholesale Germany 2008-2020Forecast: revenue sugar confectionery wholesale Germany 2008-2020
- Forecast: revenue ice cream manufacture Germany 2008-2020Forecast: revenue ice cream manufacture Germany 2008-2020
- Forecast: total revenue ice cream and frozen dessert manufacture Canada 2008-2020Forecast: total revenue ice cream and frozen dessert manufacture Canada 2008-2020