U.S. Food Shopping Behavior - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on food shopping behavior in the U.S.
Despite the economic downturn, the grocery industry has retained its status as a booming sector. Total food sales accounted for 1.38 trillion U.S. dollars in 2012. Almost every household in the U.S. bought consumer packaged goods in the grocery channel in 2014, showing the enormous significance of the industry. Most U.S. shoppers purchased groceries at retail giant Walmart.
Consumers’ determining factors when choosing their primary supermarket, instead of their most convenient, were lower prices in general and lower prices on specific items. Americans usually went shopping about 1.5 times a week on average in 2014 and had grocery expenditure amounting to 47.68 U.S. dollars per shopping trip in 2012. The actual purchase decision was mainly driven by the product’s price. Promotions also play a dominant role in today’s retail business: some 93 percent of consumers had taken advantage of “Buy one, get one free” promotions in 2012.
Retail experts expect the industry to grow further in the next couple of years. Trends to watch out for are the growing importance of small format supermarkets, mobile technologies to support consumers’ shopping trips and online grocery shopping like virtual market places.
Photo: istockphoto.com / monticelllo
|Total food sales in the U.S.||$1,423.87bn||Details →|
|Supermarkets are U.S. consumers' primary shopping location||62%||Details →|
|U.S. consumers' expenditure per grocery shopping trip||$47.68||Details →|
|Promotions & Couponing||Values||Statistic|
|U.S. consumers who have taken advantage of 'buy one, get one free' promotion||93%||Details →|
|U.S. consumers using coupons to save on household expenses||66%||Details →|
|Total number of redeemed CPG coupons in the U.S.||2.75bn||Details →|
|Grocery Shopping Online||Values||Statistic|
|Share of North American consumers likely to try online grocery shopping||20%||Details →|
|Share of U.S. online shoppers||14%||Details →|
|Average annual U.S. household food expenditure||$6,129||Details →|
|Average annual food at-home expenditure of U.S. households||$3,921||Details →|
- U.S. distribution of in-store and online grocery shopping 2012U.S. distribution of in-store and online grocery shopping 2012
Distribution share of in-store and online grocery shopping in the United States in 2012
- Total number of redeemed food grocery coupons in the U.S. 2007-2014Total number of redeemed food grocery coupons in the U.S. 2007-2014
Total number of redeemed food grocery coupons in the United States from 2007 to 2014 (in billions)*
- U.S. consumers: shopping trip accompaniment, 2012U.S. consumers: shopping trip accompaniment, 2012
Who typically accompanies U.S. consumers on shopping trips?
- Worldwide smartphone shopping behaviors 2014Worldwide smartphone shopping behaviors 2014
- North America: smartphone shopping behaviors 2014North America: smartphone shopping behaviors 2014
- Shopping behavior among luxury goods shoppers worldwide 2010-2011Shopping behavior among luxury goods shoppers worldwide 2010-2011
- Forecast: shipment value poultry processing US 2008-2020Forecast: shipment value poultry processing US 2008-2020
- Forecast: shipment value cheese manufacture US 2008-2020Forecast: shipment value cheese manufacture US 2008-2020
- Forecast: shipment value wet corn milling US 2008-2020Forecast: shipment value wet corn milling US 2008-2020
- Forecast: shipment value dog and cat food manufacture US 2008-2020Forecast: shipment value dog and cat food manufacture US 2008-2020
- Forecast: revenue community food services US 2008-2020Forecast: revenue community food services US 2008-2020