Gaming in Asia - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about Gaming in Asia
Since 2007, the Asia Pacific region has dominated the global video game market with its value expected to rise to 39.74 billion U.S. dollars in 2016. Within Asia the leading markets are China, Japan and South Korea. The Chinese video game industry revenue reached 13 billion U.S. dollars in 2013, a staggering growth of 10 billion U.S. dollars since 2008. Japan has also experienced steady growth in the video game industry since 2008 with revenue expected to reach 13.67 billion U.S. dollars in 2017. South Korea has also confirmed its place amongst the leaders in the Asian market with its game sales expected to reach 13.85 billion U.S. dollars in 2014.
In addition to market leaders such as Sony and Namco Bandai, Capcom, the Japanese video game developer and publisher which was founded in 1983 and is home to popular franchises such as Resident Evil and Street Fighter is worth serious consideration. In 2014, Capcom reported its net sales to be 102.2 billion yen, the highest net sales reported for any fiscal year since 2002. For 2014, Resident Evil, with 89 titles under its belt, was still Capcom’s best selling game with over 61 million units sold.
Nintendo, which is also based in Japan is perhaps the most popular of the Asian video game companies and certainly the largest . However its well respected name has not attracted loyal consumers in terms of hardware sales both handheld and home console as these sales have been in decline since 2011. This decline goes far beyond Nintendo’s sales and is symptomatic of the evolving video game market in general whereby the traditional console is beginning to fall out of favor.
PC and console video games no longer dominate the video game industry like they once did. Publishers and distributors, aware of the latest trends in video game consumption and user preferences are switching their focus to social gaming and online platforms. In 2013, there were an estimated 282 million massively multiplayer online (MMO) gamers in the Asia Pacific region which in turn generated 9.5 billion U.S. dollars in MMO games revenue which was seven billion more than the North American market.
Mobile games are also hugely popular and are fast becoming a lucrative sector of the video games market. As of June 2014, Asia dominated all other global regions with a generated mobile games revenue of 12.2 billion U.S. dollars. Additionally, Asian mobile gamers are not paying the most for their mobile gaming purchases. As of June 2014, the average monthly spending on mobile games per capita in North America was 6.21 U.S. dollars, on average Western European gamers were paying 4.95 U.S. dollars whilst those in the Asia Pacific were only paying 4.17 U.S. dollars.
Picture: Wikipedia/cc; Wikimedia/cc, Evan-amos
- Number of online gamers worldwide in 2013, by region+Number of online gamers worldwide in 2013, by region
Number of daily active online gamers worldwide as of April 2013, by region (in millions)
- Mobile gamers in Asia in 2013, by age+Mobile gamers in Asia in 2013, by age
Distribution of mobile gamers in China, Japan and South Korea in 2013, by age group
- Suggested retail price of a PlayStation 4 in 2014, by countrySuggested retail price of a PlayStation 4 in 2014, by country
Suggested retail price of a PlayStation 4 in selected countries worldwide as of March 2014 (in U.S. dollars)
- Mobile gaming penetration in Asia 2014+Mobile gaming penetration in Asia 2014
Daily mobile gaming penetration rate in selected countries in Asia as of June 2014
- Domestically developed video game revenue China 2014+Domestically developed video game revenue China 2014
Domestically developed video game revenue in China from 2008 to 2014 (in billion yuan)
- Best-selling console games in Japan 2015Best-selling console games in Japan 2015
Best-selling console games in Japan in 2015, by unit sales (in 1,000 units)
- The complete topic in one convenient package
- Instant access and download
- Great time-saver
- Market volume of the online gaming market in China 2011-2018Market volume of the online gaming market in China 2011-2018
- Digital share of global media revenue 2015, by mediumDigital share of global media revenue 2015, by medium
- Number of global social network users 2010-2019Number of global social network users 2010-2019
- Digital games industry revenue in the U.S. 2016, by categoryDigital games industry revenue in the U.S. 2016, by category
- Casino gaming: revenue in the U.S. 2004-2015Casino gaming: revenue in the U.S. 2004-2015