Small Tablets Dominate Pre-Christmas Consumer Interest
A couple of years ago, Apple’s co-founder and former CEO Steve Jobs famously dismissed the idea of making a tablet with a screen smaller than the original iPad’s 10 inch because it would be „too small to express the software“.
It may be one of the few misperceptions of a man with an otherwise impeccable feel for what consumers really want. It turns out that consumers do indeed want smaller tablets and in this case Jobs’ successor Tim Cook followed the advice Jobs gave him before passing the torch: "I never want you to ask what I would have done," Jobs reportedly said, “Just do what’s right."
In response to the growing competition from companies such as Google, Samsung and Amazon, Apple announced the 7.9 inch iPad mini in late October. The critical reception was overwhelmingly positive and many consumers appear to prefer the smaller form factor over the design of the full-sized iPad.
Worldwide shipments of tablets from 2010 to 2018 (in million units)
Global tablet shipments forecast 2010-2018
Worldwide tablet shipments from 2nd quarter 2010 to 4th quarter 2013 (in million units)
Worldwide tablet shipments 2010-2013, by quarter
Global market share held by tablet operating systems from 2010 to 2013, by quarter
Global market share held by tablet operating systems 2010-2013, by quarter
Yes, please send me a daily reminder for the 'Chart of the Day'
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Felix Richter