Social Media Discussion of Presidential Candidates Is Largely Negative
In the past months the U.S. presidential election has been omnipresent in traditional as well as in social media. Endless news stories, commentaries and polling results have been published and every move of the candidates has been scrutinized and thoroughly discussed across social media channels.
The Pew Research Center’s Project for Excellence in Journalism analyzed thousands of news stories and millions of public tweets and Facebook posts regarding their general tone. The study finds that the pre-election discussion of the candidates on Facebook and Twitter has been overwhelmingly negative, while mainstream media has naturally been more balanced in its coverage. The majority of stories in the mainstream media were neutral in tone, but among those that weren’t the share of negatively toned stories far exceeded the share of positive coverage.
Official results of the popular vote of the 2012 presidential elections in the United States
Election 2012: official results of popular vote
Official results of votes for electoral college in the 2012 presidential elections in the United States
Election 2012: official results
Preliminary results of the 2012 presidential elections in the United States, as of November 12
Election 2012: preliminary results by state
Yes, please send me a daily reminder for the 'Chart of the Day'
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Felix Richter