Corn - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about corn in the U.S.
Corn is the world's most important grain based on production volume. In the crop year 2012/2013, a production level of around 856 million metric tons was expected to be achieved.
The United States is by far the biggest corn producer worldwide, with a production level amounting to over 313 million metric tons in 2012. This corresponds to over one third of the global production amount of corn. The leading U.S. states in corn cultivation are Iowa, Illinois and Nebraska.
The U.S. is also the world's leading exporter of corn, whereas the import volume is relatively small. Among the leading buyers of U.S. corn are Japan, Mexico and China.
Over the last seven decades, U.S. prices per one metric ton of corn showed high volatilities, but were rapidly increasing in the last years. A new peak price was reached in summer 2012, attributable especially to the tremendous drought in most of the major agricultural U.S. states.
Corn is increasingly utilized in the production of industrial ethanol. In 2012, almost 30 percent of all corn was used for this purpose in the United States. Growing corn production for ethanol in the U.S. is expected to continue until 2016.
Photo: istockphoto.com / atoss
|Worldwide production of corn||872.07m t||Details →|
|Leading global corn exporter||Brazil||Details →|
|Area and Production in the U.S.||Values||Statistic|
|Production of corn for grain in the U.S.||13,925,147k bu||Details →|
|Production value of corn for grain in the U.S.||$62,716,048k||Details →|
|Area of corn for grain harvested in the U.S.||87,668k ac||Details →|
|Area of corn for silage harvested in the U.S.||6,256k ac||Details →|
|U.S. fertilizer use for corn||10,766k t||Details →|
|Trade and Prices in the U.S.||Values||Statistic|
|U.S. exports of corn||731m bu||Details →|
|U.S. imports of corn||162m bu||Details →|
|U.S. corn prices||$173.22/t||Details →|
|Utilization and Consumption in the U.S.||Values||Statistic|
|Total U.S. domestic use of corn||10,377m bu||Details →|
|Per capita consumption of corn products in the U.S.||33.9lb||Details →|
|U.S. Corn for Ethanol||Values||Statistic|
|Corn for ethanol production in the U.S.||127,645k t||Details →|
|Corn stover for ethanol production in the U.S.||959k t||Details →|
- Corn for grain production in the U.S. 2000-2013Corn for grain production in the U.S. 2000-2013
Production of corn for grain in the U.S. from 2000 to 2013 (in 1,000 bushels)
- Corn production share worldwide by country 2013Corn production share worldwide by country 2013
Distribution of global corn production in 2013, by country*
- American exports of corn 2001-2012American exports of corn 2001-2012
U.S. exports of corn from 2001 to 2012 (in million bushels)
- Corn production worldwide by country 2013Corn production worldwide by country 2013
- Corn production in China 2013Corn production in China 2013
- U.S. fertilizer use projections for corn 2010-2025U.S. fertilizer use projections for corn 2010-2025
- Forecast: shipment value beet sugar manufacture US 2008-2020Forecast: shipment value beet sugar manufacture US 2008-2020
- Forecast: shipment value wood container and pallet manufacture US 2008-2020Forecast: shipment value wood container and pallet manufacture US 2008-2020
- Forecast: shipment value wet corn milling US 2008-2020Forecast: shipment value wet corn milling US 2008-2020
- Forecast: shipment value dog and cat food manufacture US 2008-2020Forecast: shipment value dog and cat food manufacture US 2008-2020
- Forecast: revenue farm product warehousing and storage US 2008-2020Forecast: revenue farm product warehousing and storage US 2008-2020