Corn - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about corn in the U.S.
Corn is the world's most important grain based on production volume. In the crop year 2012/2013, a production level of around 856 million metric tons was expected to be achieved.
The United States is by far the biggest corn producer worldwide, with a production level amounting to over 313 million metric tons in 2012. This corresponds to over one third of the global production amount of corn. The leading U.S. states in corn cultivation are Iowa, Illinois and Nebraska.
The U.S. is also the world's leading exporter of corn, whereas the import volume is relatively small. Among the leading buyers of U.S. corn are Japan, Mexico and China.
Over the last seven decades, U.S. prices per one metric ton of corn showed high volatilities, but were rapidly increasing in the last years. A new peak price was reached in summer 2012, attributable especially to the tremendous drought in most of the major agricultural U.S. states.
Corn is increasingly utilized in the production of industrial ethanol. In 2012, almost 30 percent of all corn was used for this purpose in the United States. Growing corn production for ethanol in the U.S. is expected to continue until 2016.
Photo: istockphoto.com / atoss
|Worldwide production of corn||872.07m t||Details →|
|Leading global corn exporter||Brazil||Details →|
|Area and Production in the U.S.||Values||Statistic|
|Production of corn for grain in the U.S.||13,925,147k bu||Details →|
|Production value of corn for grain in the U.S.||$62,716,048k||Details →|
|Area of corn for grain harvested in the U.S.||87,668k ac||Details →|
|Area of corn for silage harvested in the U.S.||6,256k ac||Details →|
|U.S. fertilizer use for corn||10,766k t||Details →|
|Trade and Prices in the U.S.||Values||Statistic|
|U.S. exports of corn||731m bu||Details →|
|U.S. imports of corn||162m bu||Details →|
|U.S. corn prices||$291.32/t||Details →|
|Utilization and Consumption in the U.S.||Values||Statistic|
|Total U.S. domestic use of corn||10,377m bu||Details →|
|Per capita consumption of corn products in the U.S.||33.9lb||Details →|
|U.S. Corn for Ethanol||Values||Statistic|
|Corn for ethanol production in the U.S.||127,645k t||Details →|
|Corn stover for ethanol production in the U.S.||959k t||Details →|
- Corn production share worldwide by country 2013Corn production share worldwide by country 2013
Distribution of global corn production in 2013, by country*
- Corn for grain production in the U.S. 2000-2013Corn for grain production in the U.S. 2000-2013
Production of corn for grain in the U.S. from 2000 to 2013 (in 1,000 bushels)
- American exports of corn 2001-2012American exports of corn 2001-2012
U.S. exports of corn from 2001 to 2012 (in million bushels)
- Revenue of corn farming in the U.S., 2009-2014Revenue of corn farming in the U.S., 2009-2014
- U.S. fertilizer use projections for corn 2010-2025U.S. fertilizer use projections for corn 2010-2025
- Revenue of vegetable farming in the U.S., 2008-2013Revenue of vegetable farming in the U.S., 2008-2013
- Revenue of wheat, barley & sorghum farming in the U.S., 2008-2013Revenue of wheat, barley & sorghum farming in the U.S., 2008-2013
- Corn production in China 2012Corn production in China 2012
- Corn acreage in China 2012Corn acreage in China 2012
- Growth of U.S. and Canadian farmland prices in selected states in the period 2007-2011Growth of U.S. and Canadian farmland prices in selected states in the period 2007-2011
- Corn production by region 2012Corn production by region 2012
- Corn acreage in China by region 2012Corn acreage in China by region 2012
- U.S. corn use 2012U.S. corn use 2012
- Forecast: wet corn milling shipment value U.S. 2008-2018Forecast: wet corn milling shipment value U.S. 2008-2018