Corn - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about corn in the U.S.
Corn is the world's most important grain, based on production volume. In 2013, a production level of around 1.02 billion metric tons was achieved.
The United States was by far the biggest corn producer worldwide, with a production volume amounting to over 351 million metric tons in 2014. This corresponded to over one third of the global production amount of corn. The leading U.S. states in corn cultivation are Iowa, Illinois and Nebraska.
The U.S. is also the world's leading exporter of corn, whereas the import volume is relatively small. Among the leading buyers of U.S. corn were Japan, Mexico and South Korea in 2014.
Over the last seven decades, U.S. prices per one metric ton of corn showed high volatilities, but were rapidly increasing in the last years. A new peak price was reached in summer 2012, attributable especially to the tremendous drought in most of the major agricultural U.S. states. In the following crop years 2013 and 2014, prices dropped again.
Corn is increasingly utilized in the production of industrial ethanol. In 2014, almost 30 percent of all corn was used for this purpose in the United States.
Photo: istockphoto.com / atoss
|Worldwide production of corn||1018.11m t||Details →|
|Leading global corn exporter||United States||Details →|
|Area and Production in the U.S.||Values||Statistic|
|Production of corn for grain in the U.S.||13,601,198k bu||Details →|
|Production value of corn for grain in the U.S.||$49,038,819k||Details →|
|Area of corn for grain harvested in the U.S.||80,749k ac||Details →|
|Area of corn for silage harvested in the U.S.||6,221k ac||Details →|
|U.S. fertilizer use for corn||10,766k t||Details →|
|Trade and Prices in the U.S.||Values||Statistic|
|U.S. exports of corn||1,917m bu||Details →|
|U.S. imports of corn||36m bu||Details →|
|U.S. corn prices||$141.72/t||Details →|
|Utilization and Consumption in the U.S.||Values||Statistic|
|Total U.S. domestic use of corn||11,537m bu||Details →|
|Per capita consumption of corn products in the U.S.||33.9lb||Details →|
|U.S. Corn for Ethanol||Values||Statistic|
|Corn for ethanol production in the U.S.||127,645k t||Details →|
|Corn stover for ethanol production in the U.S.||959k t||Details →|
- Corn for grain production in the U.S. 2000-2015+Corn for grain production in the U.S. 2000-2015
Production of corn for grain in the U.S. from 2000 to 2015 (in 1,000 bushels)
- American exports of corn 2001-2013American exports of corn 2001-2013
U.S. exports of corn from 2001 to 2013 (in million bushels)
- Corn production share worldwide by country 2015Corn production share worldwide by country 2015
Distribution of global corn production in 2015, by country*
- The complete topic in one convenient package
- Instant access and download
- Great time-saver
- Grain production worldwide 2014, by typeGrain production worldwide 2014, by type
- Acreage of genetically modified crops worldwide 2003-2015Acreage of genetically modified crops worldwide 2003-2015
- Acreage of genetically modified crops 2004-2015, by countryAcreage of genetically modified crops 2004-2015, by country
- Most costly disasters to the insurance industry worldwide 1970-2015Most costly disasters to the insurance industry worldwide 1970-2015
- Top U.S. states with highest wheat production 2014-2015Top U.S. states with highest wheat production 2014-2015