Tablets to Outsell PCs Worldwide by 2015
Almost four years have passed since the first iPad went on sale in April 2010.
Back then, not even the keenest optimists could have predicted the impact of the device that was then mocked as an oversized iPod Touch.
Tablets have changed the way we interact with media, the way we shop and, in many cases, replaced the PC as our primary computing device. As tablets and smartphones have become powerful enough to handle virtually any computing task thrown at them, the workplace is probably the last stronghold of the traditional PC.
PC shipments have recently declined significantly and according to IDC’s latest forecast the industry will stagnate for years to come. In 2013, tablets outshipped laptop PCs for the first time and by 2015 they are expected to outship PCs overall for the first time as our chart nicely illustrates.
- Forecast: Desktop PC sales in APAC 2011-2014Forecast: Desktop PC sales in APAC 2011-2014
- Forecast: Desktop PC sales in Japan 2011-2014Forecast: Desktop PC sales in Japan 2011-2014
- Forecast: Desktop PC sales in Western Europe 2011-2014Forecast: Desktop PC sales in Western Europe 2011-2014
- Global IT spending forecast 2012-2020, by segmentGlobal IT spending forecast 2012-2020, by segment
- Leading 100 American retailers based on U.S. retail sales 2015Leading 100 American retailers based on U.S. retail sales 2015
- IT spending forecast worldwide 2014-2019IT spending forecast worldwide 2014-2019
- PCs (desktop/portable) global shipment forecast 2009-2020PCs (desktop/portable) global shipment forecast 2009-2020
- Forecast number of tablet users worldwide 2013-2020Forecast number of tablet users worldwide 2013-2020
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl