PayPal Eclipses eBay's Core Business Prior to Spin-Off
As the planned spin-off of PayPal into a separate company nears, eBay’s payment service continues to drive the company’s growth. In the first quarter of 2015, revenue of the payments division amounted to $2.11 billion, up 14% from the same period in 2014.
Meanwhile eBay’s core business, the marketplaces division, saw revenues decline for the first time in years and is now no longer eBay's biggest source of revenue. With sales of $2.07 billion, eBay's namesake auction site and other marketplaces owned by the company now generate less revenue than the soon-to-be spun-off PayPal does.
While the latest results don't necessarily spell doom for eBay's future without PayPal, they won't do much good in silencing the doubts in the company's growth prospects as a stand-alone company either.
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens