Consumers Still Trust Traditional Media Advertising Over Online Ads
Newspaper advertising is the most-trusted form of paid media advertising in North America. 63 percent of the North American respondents in a global Nielsen survey among 29,000 consumers stated that they trust newspaper ads. Newspapers just edge out magazine and TV ads, which are trusted by 62 and 61 percent of the polled consumers. The most trusted form of paid online advertising is search engine advertising, which is considered trustworthy by just 44 percent of the respondents.
The results clearly indicate that consumers still have trust issues with online ads, although it needs to be noted that the perception of digital advertising has greatly improved over the past few years. Both search engine ads and online banner ads saw double-digit increases in consumer trust since 2007, indicating that consumers are gradually getting used to these new forms of advertising.
Aside from paid media advertising, unpaid or earned advertising remains the most effective way to reach consumers: personal recommendations and online consumer reviews are considered trustworthy by 82 and 68 percent of the North American respondents, respectively.
- Revenue of the U.S. advertising industry 2004-2014Revenue of the U.S. advertising industry 2004-2014
- Time spent with digital media vs. ad spending in the U.S. 2014Time spent with digital media vs. ad spending in the U.S. 2014
- Consumer trust in different types of advertising worldwide 2007-2015Consumer trust in different types of advertising worldwide 2007-2015
- Digital advertising spending in the United Kingdom (UK) 2008-2015Digital advertising spending in the United Kingdom (UK) 2008-2015
- Online advertising revenue in the U.S. from 2000 to 2015Online advertising revenue in the U.S. from 2000 to 2015
- Breakdown of U.S. online advertising revenue in 2015, by typeBreakdown of U.S. online advertising revenue in 2015, by type
Leading brands on YouTube in Canada as of June 2016, by number of video views (in 1,000s)
Most popular brands on YouTube in Canada 2016, by video views
Leading brands on Twitter in Canada as of June 2016, by number of followers (in 1,000s)
Most popular brands on Twitter in Canada 2016, by audience
Leading brands on Facebook in Canada as of June 2016, by number of fans (in 1,000s)
Most popular brands on Facebook in Canada 2016, by audience
Worldwide net advertising revenues of Google from 2014 to 2018 (in billion U.S. dollars)
Global Google advertising revenues 2014-2018
Net digital advertising revenue of selected online companies in the United States from 2014 to 2017 (in billion U.S. dollars)
U.S. net digital ad revenue 2014-2017, by company
Digital advertising recall among internet users in the United States as of July 2015, by ad format and device
Digital ad recall by U.S. internet users 2015, by format and device
- Time spent with media vs. ad spending in the U.S. 2014Time spent with media vs. ad spending in the U.S. 2014
- Pfizer's ad spending 2008-2015Pfizer's ad spending 2008-2015
- Google: global annual revenue 2002-2015Google: global annual revenue 2002-2015
- Advertising spending in the United Kingdom (UK) 1999-2016, by mediaAdvertising spending in the United Kingdom (UK) 1999-2016, by media
- Global ad spend 2015-2016, by mediumGlobal ad spend 2015-2016, by medium
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens