Consumers Still Trust Traditional Media Advertising Over Online Ads
Newspaper advertising is the most-trusted form of paid media advertising in North America. 63 percent of the North American respondents in a global Nielsen survey among 29,000 consumers stated that they trust newspaper ads. Newspapers just edge out magazine and TV ads, which are trusted by 62 and 61 percent of the polled consumers. The most trusted form of paid online advertising is search engine advertising, which is considered trustworthy by just 44 percent of the respondents.
The results clearly indicate that consumers still have trust issues with online ads, although it needs to be noted that the perception of digital advertising has greatly improved over the past few years. Both search engine ads and online banner ads saw double-digit increases in consumer trust since 2007, indicating that consumers are gradually getting used to these new forms of advertising.
Aside from paid media advertising, unpaid or earned advertising remains the most effective way to reach consumers: personal recommendations and online consumer reviews are considered trustworthy by 82 and 68 percent of the North American respondents, respectively.
- Revenue of the U.S. advertising industry 2004-2014Revenue of the U.S. advertising industry 2004-2014
- Time spent with digital media vs. ad spending in the U.S. 2014Time spent with digital media vs. ad spending in the U.S. 2014
- Consumer trust in different types of advertising worldwide 2007-2015Consumer trust in different types of advertising worldwide 2007-2015
- Reach of online advertising marketers in Germany January 2015Reach of online advertising marketers in Germany January 2015
- Digital advertising expenditure in the United Kingdom (UK) 2010-2015, by mediumDigital advertising expenditure in the United Kingdom (UK) 2010-2015, by medium
- Digital advertising expenditure in France 2008-2015, by mediumDigital advertising expenditure in France 2008-2015, by medium
Number of social media posts per company per week worldwide as of February 2015, by company size
Number of social media posts per company per week 2015, by size
How do you attract customers to connect with your brand's social media account(s)?
Methods brands use for attracting social media followers worldwide 2015
Social media marketing spending in the United States from 2014 to 2019 (in billion U.S. dollars)
Social media marketing spending in the U.S. 2014-2019
Metrics used to measure mobile app success worldwide as of March 2015
Metrics used to measure mobile app success worldwide 2015
Which advertising companies are most effective at maximizing revenue?
Most effective mobile gaming app advertising companies 2014
Mobile marketing communications spending in the United States from 2010 to 2015 (in billion U.S. dollars)
Mobile marketing communications spending in the U.S. from 2010 to 2015
- Pfizer's ad spending 2008-2015Pfizer's ad spending 2008-2015
- Google: global annual revenue 2002-2015Google: global annual revenue 2002-2015
- Advertising spending in the United Kingdom (UK) 1999-2016, by mediaAdvertising spending in the United Kingdom (UK) 1999-2016, by media
- Global ad spend 2015-2016, by mediumGlobal ad spend 2015-2016, by medium
- Global media and marketing spend 2015, by mediumGlobal media and marketing spend 2015, by medium
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens