Facebook and Google Dominate Social Logins
The reach of Facebook and Google in the online world stretches way beyond the companies' own websites. Together, both companies account for 80 percent of so-called social logins, which enable users to sign in to a third party website using an existing social media or email account.
If you are a regular internet user, chances are you've come across the option to sign in at a website using one of the many social media or email accounts most of us have amassed over time. Many internet users loathe the time it requires to fill out long registration forms from scratch, in which cases the ability to use an existing login comes as a welcome facilitation. Potential privacy concerns notwithstanding, the adoption of social login services is rising: according to Janrain, a provider of social login solutions, 90% of online consumers have encountered social login before and more than half have those are actively using it.
To the companies providing the identities for social logins, these services constitute an additional source of potentially valuable information. It comes as no surprise that Facebook is the most popular choice for social logins, given the service's huge user base. According to Janrain, the social network powered 46 percent of social logins in the third quarter of 2014.
- Google and Facebook's share of digital display ad spending in the UK 2012-2016Google and Facebook's share of digital display ad spending in the UK 2012-2016
- U.S. traffic comparison of Google and Facebook 2011-2015U.S. traffic comparison of Google and Facebook 2011-2015
- Facebook, Twitter and Google+ subscribers among French internet users 2009-2013Facebook, Twitter and Google+ subscribers among French internet users 2009-2013
- Leading U.S. video properties 2016, by unique viewersLeading U.S. video properties 2016, by unique viewers
- Global social networks ranked by number of users 2016Global social networks ranked by number of users 2016
- Most popular product brands on Facebook 2016Most popular product brands on Facebook 2016
- Facebook: number of monthly active users worldwide 2008-2016Facebook: number of monthly active users worldwide 2008-2016
- Facebook: number of daily active users worldwide 2011-2016Facebook: number of daily active users worldwide 2011-2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl