Putin's Food Import Ban Is Having High-Price Consequences
Russia banned Western food imports on August 7 in retaliation for sanctions over the conflict in Ukraine. However, it appears to be doing far more harm than good - food price increases have started gathering momentum, making life especially difficult for ordinary Russians. St. Petersburg's economic policy chief said that food prices have now risen 10 percent since the start of the year.
Potato prices have skyrocketed by 72 percent while poultry and pork have gone up by 25.8 and 23.5 percent respectively. Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev recently said he did not expect major price increases in supermarkets and that the ban would not last long. Some food imports remain unaffected by the embargo, including coffee, alcohol and olive oil.
- Ranking of the most popular fast food restaurants in Germany 2013-2016Ranking of the most popular fast food restaurants in Germany 2013-2016
- Average spend on food per person in U.S. restaurants 2016, by restaurant typeAverage spend on food per person in U.S. restaurants 2016, by restaurant type
- Pet food and accessories sales value in the United Kingdom (UK) 2014/15, by categoryPet food and accessories sales value in the United Kingdom (UK) 2014/15, by category
- Digital Market Outlook: e-commerce revenue in France 2015-2021, by segmentDigital Market Outlook: e-commerce revenue in France 2015-2021, by segment
- Monthly inflation rate in China April 2017Monthly inflation rate in China April 2017
- U.S. disposable personal income - monthly percentage of change 2016/17U.S. disposable personal income - monthly percentage of change 2016/17
- Projected Consumer Price Index in the United States 2010-2022Projected Consumer Price Index in the United States 2010-2022
- Global animal health market 2002-2016Global animal health market 2002-2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl