Putin's Food Import Ban Is Having High-Price Consequences
Russia banned Western food imports on August 7 in retaliation for sanctions over the conflict in Ukraine. However, it appears to be doing far more harm than good - food price increases have started gathering momentum, making life especially difficult for ordinary Russians. St. Petersburg's economic policy chief said that food prices have now risen 10 percent since the start of the year.
Potato prices have skyrocketed by 72 percent while poultry and pork have gone up by 25.8 and 23.5 percent respectively. Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev recently said he did not expect major price increases in supermarkets and that the ban would not last long. Some food imports remain unaffected by the embargo, including coffee, alcohol and olive oil.
- Food sector workforce in the United Kingdom (UK) 2015, by sectorFood sector workforce in the United Kingdom (UK) 2015, by sector
- Organic food and non-food sales in the U.S. 2015Organic food and non-food sales in the U.S. 2015
- Market share of food and beverages in Sweden in 2014, by product categoryMarket share of food and beverages in Sweden in 2014, by product category
- China: Consumer Price Index (CPI) in China by sector and area June 2016China: Consumer Price Index (CPI) in China by sector and area June 2016
- Quick service restaurant chains ranked by revenue worldwide in 2015Quick service restaurant chains ranked by revenue worldwide in 2015
- Monthly inflation rate in China June 2016Monthly inflation rate in China June 2016
- Distribution of global animal health care market by species 2015Distribution of global animal health care market by species 2015
- Most popular Apple App Store categories 2016Most popular Apple App Store categories 2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens