Putin's Food Import Ban Is Having High-Price Consequences
Russia banned Western food imports on August 7 in retaliation for sanctions over the conflict in Ukraine. However, it appears to be doing far more harm than good - food price increases have started gathering momentum, making life especially difficult for ordinary Russians. St. Petersburg's economic policy chief said that food prices have now risen 10 percent since the start of the year.
Potato prices have skyrocketed by 72 percent while poultry and pork have gone up by 25.8 and 23.5 percent respectively. Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev recently said he did not expect major price increases in supermarkets and that the ban would not last long. Some food imports remain unaffected by the embargo, including coffee, alcohol and olive oil.
- Pet food and accessories sales value in the United Kingdom (UK) 2014/15, by categoryPet food and accessories sales value in the United Kingdom (UK) 2014/15, by category
- Organic food and non-food sales in the U.S. 2015Organic food and non-food sales in the U.S. 2015
- Leading food and beverage companies in Canada 2015, by sales Leading food and beverage companies in Canada 2015, by sales
- Value of various global luxury markets 2016, by market typeValue of various global luxury markets 2016, by market type
- U.S. disposable personal income - monthly percentage of change 2015/16U.S. disposable personal income - monthly percentage of change 2015/16
- Costco's average sales per warehouse worldwide 2010-2016Costco's average sales per warehouse worldwide 2010-2016
- China: Consumer Price Index (CPI) in China by sector and area November 2016China: Consumer Price Index (CPI) in China by sector and area November 2016
- Most popular Apple App Store categories 2016Most popular Apple App Store categories 2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl