Social media user growth
Competitors Leave Twitter in the Dust
While Twitter has a loyal and active community of users, the microblogging service is struggling to attract new people and get to the next level in terms of mainstream appeal. After explosive growth in the first years of its existence, Twitter’s growth slowed down significantly once the company had reached 300 million users.
Over the past two years, Twitter gained just 31 million active users, which is disappointing for a company trying to become a global platform for the exchange of ideas and information. It is even more disappointing though when considering how quickly competing platforms have grown in the same period of time.
WhatsApp, Messenger and Facebook, all owned by Facebook notably, each gained more users in the past two years than Twitter has in total. Meanwhile Snapchat, arguably the platform of the hour, added nearly three times as many daily active users as Twitter did monthly active users since the end of 2014.
- U.S. weekly use of Instagram and Snapchat Stories 2016U.S. weekly use of Instagram and Snapchat Stories 2016
- Students using Instagram, Pinterest and Snapchat in the Netherlands 2016Students using Instagram, Pinterest and Snapchat in the Netherlands 2016
- U.S. user preference of Instagram and Snapchat Stories 2016, by age groupU.S. user preference of Instagram and Snapchat Stories 2016, by age group
- Digital display ad revenue in the U.S. 2016-2019, by companyDigital display ad revenue in the U.S. 2016-2019, by company
- Most popular product brands on Facebook 2017Most popular product brands on Facebook 2017
- Most popular Facebook fan pages 2017Most popular Facebook fan pages 2017
- Facebook: number of monthly active users worldwide 2008-2016Facebook: number of monthly active users worldwide 2008-2016
- Leading online social platforms based on reach in the Netherlands 2016Leading online social platforms based on reach in the Netherlands 2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl