In 2022, video game publisher and software developer Epic Games is projected to generate approximately 6.27 billion U.S. dollars in gross revenues, up from 5.1 billion U.S. dollars in 2020.
How does Epic Games make money?
Epic Games' gross does not only include game revenue from the company battle royale hit Fortnite, but also engine revenue derived from game licenses and royalties, as well as Unreal Engine assets. Epic is the developer of the gaming engine Unreal Engine, which is currently monetized under a royalty model, meaning that is can be downloaded for free and Epic claims a percentage of sales revenue.
Currently, Epic is not claiming a fee for developers that publish their games on the Epic Games Store. The Epic Games Store (EGS) was launched in December 2018. In May 2020, Epic announced that their share of royalties for games developed in Unreal Engine are waived until developers have earned their first 1 million U.S. dollars in revenue.
Other income streams of the company include Epic Games Store revenue, and Merchandise and other revenue.
Epic Games Store upsetting the industry standard
One of the biggest headlines regarding the launch of Epic’s own digital storefront was the company’s attitude to developer / store revenue split. Gaming stores and app platforms including Valve’s Steam, the Apple App Store, or Google Play, usually take a 30 percent commission cut from game sales and in-game revenues. The Epic Games Store was released with the announcement that the EGS would only claim 12 percent of revenue, leaving 88 percent to the developers. This approach, as well as Epic’s attempt to circumvent Apple’s monetization strategies in the iOS app of Fortnite, has made many headlines, led to Apple removing the app from its App Store, and resulted in the still ongoing lawsuit Epic vs. Apple.
Gross revenue generated by Epic Games worldwide from 2018 to 2025
(in million U.S. dollars)
Profit from the additional features of your individual account
Currently, you are using a shared account. To use individual functions (e.g., mark statistics as favourites, set
statistic alerts) please log in with your personal account.
If you are an admin, please authenticate by logging in again.
Access All Statistics. Starting from $468 / Year
Learn more about how Statista can support your business.
Statista. (May 10, 2022). Gross revenue generated by Epic Games worldwide from 2018 to 2025 (in million U.S. dollars) [Graph]. In Statista. Retrieved June 29, 2022, from https://www.statista.com/statistics/1234106/epic-games-annual-revenue/
Statista. "Gross revenue generated by Epic Games worldwide from 2018 to 2025 (in million U.S. dollars)." Chart. May 10, 2022. Statista. Accessed June 29, 2022. https://www.statista.com/statistics/1234106/epic-games-annual-revenue/
Statista. (2022). Gross revenue generated by Epic Games worldwide from 2018 to 2025 (in million U.S. dollars). Statista. Statista Inc.. Accessed: June 29, 2022. https://www.statista.com/statistics/1234106/epic-games-annual-revenue/
Statista. "Gross Revenue Generated by Epic Games Worldwide from 2018 to 2025 (in Million U.S. Dollars)." Statista, Statista Inc., 10 May 2022, https://www.statista.com/statistics/1234106/epic-games-annual-revenue/
Statista, Gross revenue generated by Epic Games worldwide from 2018 to 2025 (in million U.S. dollars) Statista, https://www.statista.com/statistics/1234106/epic-games-annual-revenue/ (last visited June 29, 2022)