Try our corporate solution for free!
(212) 419-8286
hadley.ward@statista.com

Alcohol consumption in the Netherlands 2019, by gender

Dutch men identify as alcohol consumers more often than women, as revealed by a widespread survey among individuals in the Netherlands. 80 percent of men indicated that they were alcohol consumers, the other 20 percent comprised of either ex-consumers or lifetime abstainers. Meanwhile, approximately 70 percent of women in the Netherlands regularly drank beer or wine, with the groups of ex-consumers and abstainers both being larger than in the opposite gender. These gender differences were likely caused by each gender’s attitude towards beer, the most important alcoholic beverage in the Netherlands. A recent study showed that men were twice as likely to be regular drinkers of beer as women.

Gender differences in alcohol consumption


When taking a closer look at gender differences in alcohol consumption, it is revealed it can be observed that men and women have significantly different tastes. For instance, whereas men are more likely to drink regular beers, women seem to have a slight preference for non-alcoholic beer, according to a 2018 survey in the Netherlands. That the male preference for beer is not only a Dutch phenomenon was confirmed by a U.S. study. This study showed that while women preferred to drink cocktails or wine, men were sticking with beer and hard liquor.

Alcohol in the Netherlands


As the aforementioned statistics show, the consumption of alcohol in the Netherlands is widespread and beer-oriented. After all, the Netherlands is known for its internationally renowned breweries such as Heineken and Amstel. Therefore, it does not come as a surprise that the beer and craft beer markets are highly developed in Holland. Aside from beer, wine is the most common alcoholic beverage. Wines, however, are imported as the Netherlands does not produce much wine itself.

Distribution of alcohol consumption habits in the Netherlands in 2019, by gender

Exclusive Premium statistic

You need a Single Account for unlimited access.

  • Full access to 1m statistics

  • Incl. source references

  • Available to download in PNG, PDF, XLS format

Single Account

$39 $59 per month *
in the first 12 months
33% Discount until November 30th
*Duration: 12 months, billed annually, single license

Access to this and all other statistics on 80,000 topics from

$468 / Year
$708 / Year

Show detailed source information?
Register for free
Already a member?
Log in
Source

Release date

May 2020

Region

Netherlands

Survey time period

2019

Age group

12 years and older

Supplementary notes

The source does not specify the number of respondents. The source does not specify the date of the survey, release date is the access date.

Statista Accounts: Access All Statistics. Starting from $468 / Year
Basic Account
Get to know the platform

You only have access to basic statistics.
This statistic is not included in your account.

Single Account
The ideal entry-level account for individual users
  • Instant access to 1m statistics
  • Download in XLS, PDF & PNG format
  • Detailed references
$59 $39 / Month *
in the first 12 months
Corporate Account
Full access

Corporate solution including all features.

* Prices do not include sales tax.

Statistics on "Alcoholic beverages market in the Netherlands"

Statista Accounts: Access All Statistics. Starting from $468 / Year
Learn more about how Statista can support your business.