Battery electric vehicle sales in the U.S. by brand 2018

The number of battery electric vehicles sold in the United States reached nearly 240,000 in 2018, with sales of Tesla models accounting for around 80 percent of that figure. The combined sales of twelve other manufacturers made up the remaining 20 percent.

Tesla puts electric vehicle sales in the fast lane

The Tesla Model 3 was the best-selling all-electric car in the United States in 2018, with the Model X and Model S also ranked among the top five. Tesla enjoyed a particularly successful year in 2018, with sales in the United States generating revenues of around 14.8 billion U.S. dollars. Tesla’s sales performance in 2018 not only strengthened its position as the market leader in the EV market, but it also made an impression on the overall automotive market in the United States: the company’s market share increased by two percent throughout the year.

Positive news regarding battery charge time

One of the main talking points regarding battery electric vehicles is the time it takes to charge them. The number of publicly available fast chargers is increasing across the United States, and these are proving essential for vehicle users who wish to drive long distances. Vehicles equipped with a fast-charging socket can be charged much quicker because fast chargers provide power directly to the battery, without the need for an in-car inverter. A vehicle with a battery capacity of 75 kWh can, for example, be charged to a suitable level in around one hour using a quick charger delivering 50 kW of power.

U.S. battery electric vehicle sales in 2018, by brand

Sales in units
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
Exclusive Premium statistic

You need a Single Account for unlimited access.

  • Full access to 1m statistics

  • Incl. source references

  • Available to download in PNG, PDF, XLS format

Single Account

only $59 / month *
*Duration: 12 months, billed annually, single license

Access to this and all other statistics on 80,000 topics from

$708 / Year

Show detailed source information?
Register for free
Already a member?
Log in
Source

Release date

2019

Region

United States

Survey time period

2018

Supplementary notes

Brand figures have been added up.
BEV models only except BMW, where BMW i3 BEV and REx models are included.
* Theses figures are estimates.

Statista Accounts: Access All Statistics. Starting from $708 / Year
Basic Account
Get to know the platform

You only have access to basic statistics.
This statistic is not included in your account!

Single Account
Your perfect start with Statista
  • Instant access to 1m statistics
  • Download in XLS, PDF & PNG format
  • Detailed references

$59 / Month *

Corporate Account
Full access

Corporate solution including all features.

* All products require an annual contract.
   Prices do not include sales tax.

Statistics on "Electric vehicles in the United States"

Statista Accounts: Access All Statistics. Starting from $708 / Year
Learn more about how Statista can support your business.