Topic of the survey
- General Reading Behavior
- Purchases, Expenses, & Channel
- E-Book Attitudes
- E-Book Purchase Options
- E-Reading Devices
Design of the survey
- Method: Online Survey
- Survey name: Statista Survey E-Books 2017
- Region: USA
- Number of respondents: 1020
- Age of respondents: 18 years and older
- Type of respondents: english speaking residential population, who read books or newspaper
- Survey time period: 4th to 22nd of March 2017
- Purchase Regularity
- Reading E-Books/printed books
General Reading Behavior
- Have you paid to download or have online access to one of the following content types before?
- When was the last time you spent money on a book?
- Do you read more print books or ebooks?
- How many books do you read per year on average?
- How many hours do you spend reading per week?
- When do you read?
- Do you read books in foreign languages?
- How do you find new books?
- What is the main reason you read?
- Why do you read?
- How often do you lend out books?
- Who do you borrow books from?
- How often do you give books as presents?
- How often do you receive books as presents?
- Have you ever received an ebook or given one as a present?
- What do you read on a regular basis?
- Which genres do you read on a regular basis?
- For which topics would you be willing to pay money?
- What is a reasonable price for a single episode of a 30-minute podcast?
- How would you prefer to pay for podcasts?
- How often do you feel disturbed by advertisements when listening to a podcast?
- How do you react to advertisements in a podcast?
- In your opinion, when are advertisements least disturbing?
- Would you be willing to pay in order to listen to podcasts without advertisements?
- Did you ever visit the website of an advertised company or product or have you ever taken part in an advertised voucher campaign when listening to a podcast?
- Have you ever bought a product or a brand after listening to an advertisement for it during a podcast?
Purchases, Expenses, & Channel
- How many of your print books do you purchase second hand?
- Where do you purchase used books?
- How do you purchase books?
- How many individual books did you purchase within the last 12 months?Please think of all books regardless of who you bought the book for.
- And how much did you spend on individual books within the last 12 months?
- Expenses per print book and ebook
- What is the most you’re willing to pay for an ebook if the price of the corresponding paperback is $14?
- Where do you purchase print books, while shopping online?
- How many of your print books do you purchase in store and how many online?
- Where did you purchase ebooks?
- Which brands would you consider while planning to purchase new headphones?
- How long would it take you to make a purchasing decision?
- Where would you most likely purchase your new headphones?
- Which of these statements regarding ebooks describes you best?
- What would make you purchase (more) ebooks?
- Why did you not purchase ebooks until now?
- If you choose a print version of a book instead of an ebook, what are the reasons for purchasing a print book?
- How much to do you agree with the following statements?
- In your view, how will books in general be read 10 years from now?
- And what are your personal plans regarding e-books and e-readers in the future?
- If there were only ebooks and no more print books starting tomorrow…
E-Book Purchase Options
- How interested are you in an ebook subscription?
- Which ebooks would you like to receive with the subscription?
- What makes you consider an ebook subscription?
- How interested are you in an ebook flat rate?
- What kind of books would you like to be able to download with your flat rate?
- What makes you consider an ebook flat rate?
- On which devices do you read ebooks?
- Is there an e-reading device in your household?
- How often do you use e-reading devices?
- What kind of e-reading device do you own?
- How many people upload content to your e-reading device?
- Do you plan to purchase a new e-reading device within the next 2 years?
- Which brands/products are you familiar with, even if it is just by name?
- Which brands/products would you consider while planning your next purchase?
- What do you consider an appropriate price for an e-reading device?
- Which criteria are most important to you when purchasing an e-reading device, regardless of whether you are planning to purchase a new e-reading device soon?
- What is your gender?
- How old are you?
- Which race/ethnicity best describes you?
- What is the highest level of education you have completed?
- What is your current marital status?
- Including yourself, how many people - including children - usually live in your household?
- In what state or U.S. territory do you live?
- How much total combined money do all members of your household earn annually?
More than 7,500
- E-books in GermanyE-books in Germany
- Book market in the United Kingdom (UK)Book market in the United Kingdom (UK)
- Book formats in the U.S.Book formats in the U.S.
- E-books in ItalyE-books in Italy
- E-books in the U.S.E-books in the U.S.
- Frequency of reading books during leisure time in Germany 2014-2017Frequency of reading books during leisure time in Germany 2014-2017
- Share of individuals reading books over the last year in Sweden 2007-2017Share of individuals reading books over the last year in Sweden 2007-2017
- Share of people reading books in Finland 2011-2017Share of people reading books in Finland 2011-2017
- Printed book readers in the U.S. 2018, by agePrinted book readers in the U.S. 2018, by age
- Printed book readers in the U.S. 2018, by education levelPrinted book readers in the U.S. 2018, by education level
Statista is a great source of knowledge, and pretty helpful to manage the daily work.
Christof Baron about Statista CEO, MindShare Germany
Any more questions?
Get in touch with us quickly and easily. We are happy to help!
Download your Report
New Dossier: Gig economy in the U.S.
The gig economy is a section of the economy which consists of independent contractors and freelancers who perform temporary, flexible jobs. This dossier provides key data on the gig economy in the United States, including information on income and earnings, and access to benefits.
New Dossier: Food trends in the Netherlands
From organic and sustainable food to ‘free from’ products and alternative diets: this new Statista dossier about food trends in the Netherlands covers all you might want to know about what is hot and happening in the Dutch food market.
New Dossier: Direct selling market worldwide
The direct selling market refers to a business model in which products are sold without a 'Brick and Mortar' retail establishment, such as online or person-to-person. This dossier provides key data about this market, with a focus on the United States and the leading companies, such as Amway.
New Dossier: E-commerce in Argentina
Argentina is the second largest e-commerce market in Latin America as of 2017. This dossier provides key information about the different aspects of the e-commerce market in Argentina, including the main retailers, customers, mobile commerce, and more.
New Dossier: Mobile device usage in Belgium
Recent studies showed that Belgium has the highest prices when it comes to mobile data in Europe, with Proximus, Orange and Telenet as the main actors in this market. This dossier provides information on two of these main players and also features data on mobile commerce, video and apps.
New Topic page: Chinese tourism in Europe
China’s travel boom has had a notable impact across the global tourism industry, not least in Europe where China is recognized as a key visitor market. This topic page and accompanying dossier highlights the rising number of Chinese tourists in Europe and the main destinations they are heading to.
New Topic Page: Trade across the Irish border
With the UK making plans to leave the EU, it is still uncertain about how this will affect trade across the UK's only land border, the Irish border. This topic highlights the importance of cross border trade and discusses how firms across Ireland are anticipating Brexit to impact their businesses.
Global Industry Reports available now!
Statista now offers industry insights from a global perspective for 34 industries. The reports provide crucial information on the trends moving all major industries. Get a bird’s-eye view on your industry, complete with all essential data, KPIs, and exclusive Statista data.
New Smart TV Industry Whitepaper
Statista Research and Analysis, in cooperation with Chinese smart TV manufacturer TCL Multimedia and its subsidiary FFalcon Technology, is going to present a new white paper on the global Smart TV industry on September 15th, 2018 during the International Broadcasting Convention (IBC) in Amsterdam.
New Dossier: Electric vehicles in Italy
Is Italy speeding up on electric mobility or is the next charging point still too far away? Have a deeper look into the topic with this new dossier. Statista provides an overview on the market situation and customer attitudes around e-mobility in this country so passionate about cars.
New Topic Page: Brexit negotiations
With an October deadline looming and an unpopular proposal in hand, time is running out for Theresa May to secure a deal with the European Union. This topic highlights some the main issues standing in the way of a deal and explores how the British public have reacted to the ongoing political drama.
New Dossier: eSports in the Benelux region
Revenue might still pale in comparison to other sports, but the recent growth of electronic sports, or eSports, has been immense. This dossier analyzes the popularity of video games and digital games in the Netherlands and the attitude shown towards the trend of online gaming.
New topic page: Organic cosmetics in the UK
As consumers become aware of the potentially harmful ingredients used in conventional beauty products, many are seeking green alternatives which pose a lesser risk to the skin and the environment. This topic page provides an overview of natural and organic cosmetic sales and UK consumer attitudes.
New Statista Study: European Football Benchmark
Just in time for the start of the new Premier League season, Statista launches the European Football Benchmark: The first football study that compares the 5 big European leagues from a fan's perspective. Find out everything about the Premier League, its clubs, sponsors and fans.
New tutorial video on the Global Consumer Survey
The Statista Global Consumer Survey offers a global perspective on consumption and media usage, covering the offline and online world of the consumer. The new tutorial video shows all functionalities and illustrates how you can use the DIY analysis tool effectively.