Topic of the survey
- General Reading Behavior
- Purchases, Expenses, & Channel
- E-Book Attitudes
- E-Book Purchase Options
- E-Reading Devices
Design of the survey
- Method: Online Survey
- Survey name: Statista Survey E-Books 2017
- Region: USA
- Number of respondents: 1020
- Age of respondents: 18 years and older
- Type of respondents: english speaking residential population, who read books or newspaper
- Survey time period: 4th to 22nd of March 2017
- Purchase Regularity
- Reading E-Books/printed books
General Reading Behavior
- Have you paid to download or have online access to one of the following content types before?
- When was the last time you spent money on a book?
- Do you read more print books or ebooks?
- How many books do you read per year on average?
- How many hours do you spend reading per week?
- When do you read?
- Do you read books in foreign languages?
- How do you find new books?
- What is the main reason you read?
- Why do you read?
- How often do you lend out books?
- Who do you borrow books from?
- How often do you give books as presents?
- How often do you receive books as presents?
- Have you ever received an ebook or given one as a present?
- What do you read on a regular basis?
- Which genres do you read on a regular basis?
- For which topics would you be willing to pay money?
- What is a reasonable price for a single episode of a 30-minute podcast?
- How would you prefer to pay for podcasts?
- How often do you feel disturbed by advertisements when listening to a podcast?
- How do you react to advertisements in a podcast?
- In your opinion, when are advertisements least disturbing?
- Would you be willing to pay in order to listen to podcasts without advertisements?
- Did you ever visit the website of an advertised company or product or have you ever taken part in an advertised voucher campaign when listening to a podcast?
- Have you ever bought a product or a brand after listening to an advertisement for it during a podcast?
Purchases, Expenses, & Channel
- How many of your print books do you purchase second hand?
- Where do you purchase used books?
- How do you purchase books?
- How many individual books did you purchase within the last 12 months?Please think of all books regardless of who you bought the book for.
- And how much did you spend on individual books within the last 12 months?
- Expenses per print book and ebook
- What is the most you’re willing to pay for an ebook if the price of the corresponding paperback is $14?
- Where do you purchase print books, while shopping online?
- How many of your print books do you purchase in store and how many online?
- Where did you purchase ebooks?
- Which brands would you consider while planning to purchase new headphones?
- How long would it take you to make a purchasing decision?
- Where would you most likely purchase your new headphones?
- Which of these statements regarding ebooks describes you best?
- What would make you purchase (more) ebooks?
- Why did you not purchase ebooks until now?
- If you choose a print version of a book instead of an ebook, what are the reasons for purchasing a print book?
- How much to do you agree with the following statements?
- In your view, how will books in general be read 10 years from now?
- And what are your personal plans regarding e-books and e-readers in the future?
- If there were only ebooks and no more print books starting tomorrow…
E-Book Purchase Options
- How interested are you in an ebook subscription?
- Which ebooks would you like to receive with the subscription?
- What makes you consider an ebook subscription?
- How interested are you in an ebook flat rate?
- What kind of books would you like to be able to download with your flat rate?
- What makes you consider an ebook flat rate?
- On which devices do you read ebooks?
- Is there an e-reading device in your household?
- How often do you use e-reading devices?
- What kind of e-reading device do you own?
- How many people upload content to your e-reading device?
- Do you plan to purchase a new e-reading device within the next 2 years?
- Which brands/products are you familiar with, even if it is just by name?
- Which brands/products would you consider while planning your next purchase?
- What do you consider an appropriate price for an e-reading device?
- Which criteria are most important to you when purchasing an e-reading device, regardless of whether you are planning to purchase a new e-reading device soon?
- What is your gender?
- How old are you?
- Which race/ethnicity best describes you?
- What is the highest level of education you have completed?
- What is your current marital status?
- Including yourself, how many people - including children - usually live in your household?
- In what state or U.S. territory do you live?
- How much total combined money do all members of your household earn annually?
More than 7,500 companies trust Statista
- E-books in GermanyE-books in Germany
- E-books in the United Kingdom (UK)E-books in the United Kingdom (UK)
- E-books in the U.S.E-books in the U.S.
- E-books in ItalyE-books in Italy
- Devices used for reading e-books in the Netherlands 2017-2018Devices used for reading e-books in the Netherlands 2017-2018
- Revenue share of e-books in Germany 2010-2018Revenue share of e-books in Germany 2010-2018
- Fiction market revenue from e-books in Germany 2009-2021Fiction market revenue from e-books in Germany 2009-2021
- Publisher net sales revenue from fiction e-books in Finland 2012-2017Publisher net sales revenue from fiction e-books in Finland 2012-2017
- Frequency of online purchases of books and eBooks in Belgium in 2018Frequency of online purchases of books and eBooks in Belgium in 2018
Statista is a great source of knowledge, and pretty helpful to manage the daily work.
Christof Baron about Statista CEO, MindShare Germany
Any more questions?
Get in touch with us quickly and easily. We are happy to help!
Download your Report
New Statista Study: European Football Benchmark
Just in time for the start of the new Premier League season, Statista launches the European Football Benchmark: The first football study that compares the 5 big European leagues from a fan's perspective. Find out everything about the Premier League, its clubs, sponsors and fans.
New tutorial video on the Global Consumer Survey
The Statista Global Consumer Survey offers a global perspective on consumption and media usage, covering the offline and online world of the consumer. The new tutorial video shows all functionalities and illustrates how you can use the DIY analysis tool effectively.
Consumer Electronics Report 2018 out now!
Market reports for the Statista Consumer Market Outlook will now be released roughly every other week starting with the Consumer Electronics Report 2018. The market reports include data as well as qualitative insights into market drivers, consumer behaviour, trends, sales channels and key players.
In-depth eMobility Report updated & extended
The trend topic eMobility affects many industries and constantly attracts new players. Our updated in-depth report contains all relevant data and insights and includes an excel file with a detailed list of electric cars, trucks, cargo vehicles, buses, and their specifications.