Topic of the survey
- General Reading Behavior
- Purchases, Expenses, & Channel
- E-Book Attitudes
- E-Book Purchase Options
- E-Reading Devices
Design of the survey
- Method: Online Survey
- Survey name: Statista Survey E-Books 2017
- Region: USA
- Number of respondents: 1020
- Age of respondents: 18 years and older
- Type of respondents: english speaking residential population, who read books or newspaper
- Survey time period: 4th to 22nd of March 2017
- Purchase Regularity
- Reading E-Books/printed books
General Reading Behavior
- Have you paid to download or have online access to one of the following content types before?
- When was the last time you spent money on a book?
- Do you read more print books or ebooks?
- How many books do you read per year on average?
- How many hours do you spend reading per week?
- When do you read?
- Do you read books in foreign languages?
- How do you find new books?
- What is the main reason you read?
- Why do you read?
- How often do you lend out books?
- Who do you borrow books from?
- How often do you give books as presents?
- How often do you receive books as presents?
- Have you ever received an ebook or given one as a present?
- What do you read on a regular basis?
- Which genres do you read on a regular basis?
- For which topics would you be willing to pay money?
- What is a reasonable price for a single episode of a 30-minute podcast?
- How would you prefer to pay for podcasts?
- How often do you feel disturbed by advertisements when listening to a podcast?
- How do you react to advertisements in a podcast?
- In your opinion, when are advertisements least disturbing?
- Would you be willing to pay in order to listen to podcasts without advertisements?
- Did you ever visit the website of an advertised company or product or have you ever taken part in an advertised voucher campaign when listening to a podcast?
- Have you ever bought a product or a brand after listening to an advertisement for it during a podcast?
Purchases, Expenses, & Channel
- How many of your print books do you purchase second hand?
- Where do you purchase used books?
- How do you purchase books?
- How many individual books did you purchase within the last 12 months?Please think of all books regardless of who you bought the book for.
- And how much did you spend on individual books within the last 12 months?
- Expenses per print book and ebook
- What is the most you’re willing to pay for an ebook if the price of the corresponding paperback is $14?
- Where do you purchase print books, while shopping online?
- How many of your print books do you purchase in store and how many online?
- Where did you purchase ebooks?
- Which brands would you consider while planning to purchase new headphones?
- How long would it take you to make a purchasing decision?
- Where would you most likely purchase your new headphones?
- Which of these statements regarding ebooks describes you best?
- What would make you purchase (more) ebooks?
- Why did you not purchase ebooks until now?
- If you choose a print version of a book instead of an ebook, what are the reasons for purchasing a print book?
- How much to do you agree with the following statements?
- In your view, how will books in general be read 10 years from now?
- And what are your personal plans regarding e-books and e-readers in the future?
- If there were only ebooks and no more print books starting tomorrow…
E-Book Purchase Options
- How interested are you in an ebook subscription?
- Which ebooks would you like to receive with the subscription?
- What makes you consider an ebook subscription?
- How interested are you in an ebook flat rate?
- What kind of books would you like to be able to download with your flat rate?
- What makes you consider an ebook flat rate?
- On which devices do you read ebooks?
- Is there an e-reading device in your household?
- How often do you use e-reading devices?
- What kind of e-reading device do you own?
- How many people upload content to your e-reading device?
- Do you plan to purchase a new e-reading device within the next 2 years?
- Which brands/products are you familiar with, even if it is just by name?
- Which brands/products would you consider while planning your next purchase?
- What do you consider an appropriate price for an e-reading device?
- Which criteria are most important to you when purchasing an e-reading device, regardless of whether you are planning to purchase a new e-reading device soon?
- What is your gender?
- How old are you?
- Which race/ethnicity best describes you?
- What is the highest level of education you have completed?
- What is your current marital status?
- Including yourself, how many people - including children - usually live in your household?
- In what state or U.S. territory do you live?
- How much total combined money do all members of your household earn annually?
More than 7,500
- E-books in the United Kingdom (UK)E-books in the United Kingdom (UK)
- E-books in the U.S.E-books in the U.S.
- Book formats in the U.S.Book formats in the U.S.
- E-books in GermanyE-books in Germany
- Book market in the United Kingdom (UK)Book market in the United Kingdom (UK)
- Average daily time spent on reading books in Sweden 2007-2017Average daily time spent on reading books in Sweden 2007-2017
- Share of individuals reading books over the last year in Sweden 2007-2017Share of individuals reading books over the last year in Sweden 2007-2017
- Share of people reading books in Finland 2011-2017Share of people reading books in Finland 2011-2017
- Children reading books at least one day a week in Sweden 2016-2017, by age and genderChildren reading books at least one day a week in Sweden 2016-2017, by age and gender
- Printed book readers in the U.S. 2018, by age groupPrinted book readers in the U.S. 2018, by age group
Statista is a great source of knowledge, and pretty helpful to manage the daily work.
Christof Baron about Statista CEO, MindShare Germany
Any more questions?
Get in touch with us quickly and easily. We are happy to help!
Download your Report
Exclusive data available through OAAA partnership
Statista releases new exclusive OOH advertising data from the Outdoor Advertising Association of America (OAAA).
New Topic: No-deal Brexit
On January 15, 2019 the British Parliament is set to vote on Theresa May’s Brexit deal. The vote is perilously close to the departure date of March 29, and should it be rejected, a no-deal Brexit is the default scenario. This topic looks at the implications that a no-deal Brexit could have on the UK
E-Commerce Spain: Online Stores Ranking Update
Did you know that the top 3 online stores in Spain achieved a market share of over 20 percent in 2017? Understand the e-commerce market in Spain and get to know the top online stores. eCommerceDB offers detailed online store profiles with key data on the largest ecommerce players worldwide.
European Banking Sector
This extended statistical dossier takes an in-depth look at the current health of the European banking sector as well as its ability to meet the demands of a digital future.
New Dossier: Latin American Online Shopping Events
With consistent growth in recent years, e-commerce is rapidly becoming a part of the shopping culture in Latin America. Often offering important discounts, online shopping events represent a major push to online sales in the region.
Updated Brexit analysis available now!
Statista has updated its outline of potential impacts of the Brexit on UK industries, which is included in our 41 UK Industry Reports. Furthermore, the reports feature statistics, forecasts, survey results, and analyses in a form that is easy to read and adopt.
New Dossier: Digital Marketing in Italy
Italian enterprises invest significantly in digital marketing to enhance their presence, yet the potential strategies to follow are extremely diverse. This dossier presents key aspects of the industry according to professionals and marketers, including new trends in content and e-mail marketing.
Statista European Football Benchmark
The European Football Benchmark compares the big 5 European leagues. Find out which league and club have the largest foreign fan potential? Who are the biggest stars? And how expensive it is to be a fan? Read all this and more with Statista’s report: “European Football Benchmark – the big 5 leagues”
New metric unit: Payments in eCommerce
The payment options available for eCommerce customers have long moved beyond simple cash or card payments. The Digital Market Outlook now offers an analysis of payment methods used by customers in online shopping in 50 countries and forecasts for this metric unit up to 2023.
New Dossier: Foreign conflicts of Saudi Arabia
Recently, the kingdom of Saudi Arabia has faced some foreign political challenges with its Middle Eastern neighbors. The kingdom's current conflicts with Yemen, Iran, Qatar, and Turkey are all different in their nature, however, they all bear consequences for the geopolitical dynamic of the region.
New Dossier: Fintech in Italy
The Fintech sector in Italy is developing steadily. Thanks to young entrepreneurs and new platforms, Fintech is gaining recognition as an alternative and as a complement to the traditional financial system. This dossier presents an overview about the scale and ambitions of this innovative sector.
Statista survey on the U.S. motorcycle market
With a market share of 31% Harley-Davidson is the top-dog on the U.S motorcycle market. On top of that the U.S. manufacturer can prevail against the competition in terms of customer loyalty and brand image. Find out which brands come close to the market leader in the Statista motorcycle Report.
Updated Industry Reports France available now!
Statista has updated its 41 Industry Reports for France with the most recent data. They feature statistics, forecasts, survey results, and analyses in a form that is easy to read and adopt. Understand and assess industries with a report that includes the most important key figures!
New Study: The Brexit Factbook
With the UK set to leave the EU in March next year and negotiations stalling, the chance of a no-deal Brexit is increasing. The Brexit Factbook combines the most important statistics about the UK exiting the EU from the lead-up to the referendum to the economic, financial and political consequences.
New Dossier: Avocado market in Latin America
Latin America is one of the main regions producing avocados, a large share of which are exported to the U.S. and Europe. This dossier provides key information about the avocado’s agricultural production, cultivation area, imports and exports in countries such as Brazil, Mexico, Chile, and Colombia.