Topics of the survey
- Holiday Season & Spending
Design of the survey
- Method: Online Survey
- Survey name: Statista Survey Halloween & Holidays 2017
- Region: USA
- Number of respondents: 1025
- Age of respondents: 18 years and older
- Type of respondents: US residential population
- Survey time period: 11th to 20th of October 2017
- Number of persons in household
- Number of children younger than 18 years in household
Holiday Season & Spending
- Are you celebrating Christmas this year?
- Do you believe in Santa Claus?
- Where will you be spending this year’s holiday season?
- How much do you expect to spend during the upcoming year-end holiday season on each of the following items? - on gifts (not including gift cards)
- How much do you expect to spend during the upcoming year-end holiday season on each of the following items? - on gift cards/certificates
- How much do you expect to spend during the upcoming year-end holiday season on each of the following items? - on décor/ furnishings
- How much do you expect to spend during the upcoming year-end holiday season on each of the following items? - on non-gift clothing for yourself or your family
- How much do you expect to spend during the upcoming year-end holiday season on each of the following items? - on socializing away from home (travel, hotels, restaurants, etc.)
- How much do you expect to spend during the upcoming year-end holiday season on each of the following items? - on entertaining at home (food, beverages, etc.)
- How much do you expect to spend during the upcoming year-end holiday season on each of the following items? - on other items
- When do you plan on starting your Christmas shopping?
- Are you using the holiday promotions to make a purchase on which you have held off?
- When shopping for Christmas: From which of these product categories would you spontaneously purchase something if you came across a good offer?
- Which of the following types of gifts would you like to receive this Christmas?
- Which of the following types of gifts do you plan to buy this holiday season?
- How will your total holiday spending compare with last year's holiday season? Please consider all gifts, decorations, donations, restaurant spending etc.
- For whom do you plan to buy Christmas gifts this year? For …
- Which of the following statements apply to you?
- What are the most important influencers when making your final holiday shopping purchases?
- At which of the following retail sources will you likely shop for holiday gifts?
- What percentage of your total holiday budget do you expect to spend online?
- If you are thinking of doing any of your Christmas shopping online this year, which of the following best sums up your intentions compared with last year? I will …
- In which of the following ways do you think you'll approach your holiday shopping?
- Which of these devices will you use to do your holiday shopping?
- Thinking about when you use / have used your smartphone to research, shop for, or purchase products or services for the upcoming holiday season, which of the following aspects are most important to you?
- Will you probably use a retailer-branded app to make your holiday purchases?
- Which types of holiday items would you consider purchasing on your smartphone?
- Will you buy a Christmas tree this year?
- How much money do you plan to spend on your Christmas tree this year?
- What is your gender?
- Age groups
- What is your primary language?
- Which race/ethnicity best describes you?
- Are you of Hispanic, Latino or Spanish origin?
- What is the highest level of education you have completed?
- What is your current marital status?
- What is your current occupational status?
- Which of the following categories best describes your employment status?
- Including yourself, how many people - including children - usually live in your household?
- Including yourself, how many kids/teens under 18 usually live in your household?
- In what type of community do you live?
- In what state or U.S. territory do you live?
- How much total combined money do all members of your household earn annually? This includes money from jobs; net income from business, farm, or rent; pensions; dividends; interest; social security payments; and any other money
- What device did you use for this survey?
More than 7,500
- Christmas in Italy 2018Christmas in Italy 2018
- Report on holiday shopping behavior of American women in 2017Report on holiday shopping behavior of American women in 2017
- Clothing industry: consumers' behavior in ItalyClothing industry: consumers' behavior in Italy
- National holidays in the U.S.National holidays in the U.S.
- Christmas in Italy 2018Christmas in Italy 2018
- National holidays in the U.S.National holidays in the U.S.
- Report on holiday season shopping in the Netherlands in 2018Report on holiday season shopping in the Netherlands in 2018
- Canadians who prefer to call Christmas the holiday season 2017Canadians who prefer to call Christmas the holiday season 2017
- Retail stores where U.S. consumers planned to buy toys in the 2018 holiday seasonRetail stores where U.S. consumers planned to buy toys in the 2018 holiday season
- Canadian attitude towards charitable actions during holiday season 2016Canadian attitude towards charitable actions during holiday season 2016
- Share of Canadians who enjoy spending time with family during holiday season 2016Share of Canadians who enjoy spending time with family during holiday season 2016
- Share of Canadians who enjoy giving gifts during holiday season 2016Share of Canadians who enjoy giving gifts during holiday season 2016
Statista is a great source of knowledge, and pretty helpful to manage the daily work.
Christof Baron about Statista CEO, MindShare Germany
Any more questions?
Get in touch with us quickly and easily. We are happy to help!
Download your Report
E-Commerce Spain: Online Stores Ranking Update
Did you know that the top 3 online stores in Spain achieved a market share of over 20 percent in 2017? Understand the e-commerce market in Spain and get to know the top online stores. eCommerceDB offers detailed online store profiles with key data on the largest ecommerce players worldwide.
European Banking Sector
This extended statistical dossier takes an in-depth look at the current health of the European banking sector as well as its ability to meet the demands of a digital future.
New Dossier: Latin American Online Shopping Events
With consistent growth in recent years, e-commerce is rapidly becoming a part of the shopping culture in Latin America. Often offering important discounts, online shopping events represent a major push to online sales in the region.
Updated Brexit analysis available now!
Statista has updated its outline of potential impacts of the Brexit on UK industries, which is included in our 41 UK Industry Reports. Furthermore, the reports feature statistics, forecasts, survey results, and analyses in a form that is easy to read and adopt.
New Dossier: Digital Marketing in Italy
Italian enterprises invest significantly in digital marketing to enhance their presence, yet the potential strategies to follow are extremely diverse. This dossier presents key aspects of the industry according to professionals and marketers, including new trends in content and e-mail marketing.
Statista European Football Benchmark
The European Football Benchmark compares the big 5 European leagues. Find out which league and club have the largest foreign fan potential? Who are the biggest stars? And how expensive it is to be a fan? Read all this and more with Statista’s report: “European Football Benchmark – the big 5 leagues”
New metric unit: Payments in eCommerce
The payment options available for eCommerce customers have long moved beyond simple cash or card payments. The Digital Market Outlook now offers an analysis of payment methods used by customers in online shopping in 50 countries and forecasts for this metric unit up to 2023.
New Dossier: Foreign conflicts of Saudi Arabia
Recently, the kingdom of Saudi Arabia has faced some foreign political challenges with its Middle Eastern neighbors. The kingdom's current conflicts with Yemen, Iran, Qatar, and Turkey are all different in their nature, however, they all bear consequences for the geopolitical dynamic of the region.
New Dossier: Fintech in Italy
The Fintech sector in Italy is developing steadily. Thanks to young entrepreneurs and new platforms, Fintech is gaining recognition as an alternative and as a complement to the traditional financial system. This dossier presents an overview about the scale and ambitions of this innovative sector.
Statista survey on the U.S. motorcycle market
With a market share of 31% Harley-Davidson is the top-dog on the U.S motorcycle market. On top of that the U.S. manufacturer can prevail against the competition in terms of customer loyalty and brand image. Find out which brands come close to the market leader in the Statista motorcycle Report.
Updated Industry Reports France available now!
Statista has updated its 41 Industry Reports for France with the most recent data. They feature statistics, forecasts, survey results, and analyses in a form that is easy to read and adopt. Understand and assess industries with a report that includes the most important key figures!
New Study: The Brexit Factbook
With the UK set to leave the EU in March next year and negotiations stalling, the chance of a no-deal Brexit is increasing. The Brexit Factbook combines the most important statistics about the UK exiting the EU from the lead-up to the referendum to the economic, financial and political consequences.
New Dossier: Avocado market in Latin America
Latin America is one of the main regions producing avocados, a large share of which are exported to the U.S. and Europe. This dossier provides key information about the avocado’s agricultural production, cultivation area, imports and exports in countries such as Brazil, Mexico, Chile, and Colombia.
New Dossier: Gig economy in the U.S.
The gig economy is a section of the economy which consists of independent contractors and freelancers who perform temporary, flexible jobs. This dossier provides key data on the gig economy in the United States, including information on income and earnings, and access to benefits.
New Dossier: Food trends in the Netherlands
From organic and sustainable food to ‘free from’ products and alternative diets: this new Statista dossier about food trends in the Netherlands covers all you might want to know about what is hot and happening in the Dutch food market.
New Dossier: Direct selling market worldwide
The direct selling market refers to a business model in which products are sold without a 'Brick and Mortar' retail establishment, such as online or person-to-person. This dossier provides key data about this market, with a focus on the United States and the leading companies, such as Amway.
New Dossier: E-commerce in Argentina
Argentina is the second largest e-commerce market in Latin America as of 2017. This dossier provides key information about the different aspects of the e-commerce market in Argentina, including the main retailers, customers, mobile commerce, and more.
New Dossier: Mobile device usage in Belgium
Recent studies showed that Belgium has the highest prices when it comes to mobile data in Europe, with Proximus, Orange and Telenet as the main actors in this market. This dossier provides information on two of these main players and also features data on mobile commerce, video and apps.