Topics of the survey
- Security and Risks
- Hacking and Identity Theft
- Internet Usage
- Internet Acess
Design of the survey
- Method: Online Survey
- Survey name: Cybersecurity US 2018
- Region: U.S.
- Number of respondents: 1,011
- Age of respondents: 18 years and older
- Type of respondents: U.S. residental online population
- Survey time period: 12th to 17th of Oktober 2018
- Houeshold Income
- Subjective personal protection on the internet
- Up-to-date antivirus programme and up-to-date firewall existing
- Cloud service usage
- Which of the following devices do you regularly use for work purposes?
- Which brand is your work laptop/detachable/convertible?'
- Which operating system does your work laptop/detachable/convertible run on?'
- Which brand is your work PC?'
- Which operating system does your work PC run on?'
- Which brand is your work tablet?'
- Which operating system does your work tablet run on?'
- Which brand is your work smartphone?'
- Which operating system does your work phone run on?'
- Which brand is your work printer?'
- Which of the following devices do you regularly use for private purposes?
- Which brand is your private laptop/detachable/convertible?'
- Which operating system does your private laptop/detachable/convertible run on?'
- Which brand is your private PC?'
- Which operating system does your private PC run on?'
- Which brand is your private tablet?'
- Which operating system does your private tablet run on?'
- Which brand is your private smartphone?'
- Which operating system does your private smartphone run on?'
- Which brand is your private printer?'
- How many devices do you use in total? (We are referring to the total of all privately and/or professionally used PCs, laptops, detachables, convertibles, tablets, smartphones and printers)
- Do you use your private devices for work purposes as well?'
- Do you use your work devices for private purposes as well?'
Security and Risks
- How safe do you consider the internet in general when it comes to personal data?'
- How safe do you currently feel when you are on the internet?'
- How well do you personally protect yourself on the internet?'
- Which of the risks related to the use of the internet are you aware of?
- What would be the two worst things that could happen to you online?
- What have you personally or people in your near surroundings already experienced online?
- Please choose two behaviours out of the following list that you think are especially risky.
- In comparison to the risk of falling victim to cyber crime,... / ...the risk of becoming a victim of theft is'
- In comparison to the risk of falling victim to cyber crime,... / ...the risk of becoming a victim of fraud is'
- In comparison to the risk of falling victim to cyber crime,... / ...the risk of becoming a victim in a traffic accident is'
- Who should be mainly responsible for internet safety in your opinion?'
- Should you ever become a victim of internet crime, who would you expect to receive compensation from, despite the actual perpetrator?'
- Which of the following protective measures do you take?
- Which further protective measures do you take?
- Which authentication methods do you use to protect your data and devices?
- For which devices do you use such authentication methods?
- In your opinion, what is the strongest argument against using biometric authentification (e.g. fingerprints, face recognition, iris scanners, voice recognition)?'
- Which brand of protective software (e.g anti-virus software packages) do you think is most well known?'
- Which brand of protective software do you trust most?'
- Where should the provider of a protective software that you buy be based?'
- From which provider is the protective software that you use for business purposes?'
- From which provider is the protective software that you use for private purposes?'
- Against which risks did you primarily want to protect yourself when you got your protective software?
- What payment method do you use for your software?'
- How much money have you spent on protective software in the past year?
- How much would you be prepared to pay per year for all your protection measures on the internet?
- Is the access to your devices secured by an authentication procedure (e.g. a password)?'
- Do you use individual passwords for every device?'
- Do you use different passwords for every online service?'
- Have you changed your password for any of the following services in the past 12 months?
- Do you use a password manager?'
- Could you imagine using a password manager?'
- Which password managers do you know?
- Which password manager do you use?'
Hacking and Identity Theft
- Have you ever been hacked?'
- What was hacked?
- Which of these social media accounts / messengers was hacked?
- Have you ever been subject to identity theft, i.e. has anyone ever misused your personal data and caused you damage?
- The government should...
- The cyber attacks that scare me most are attacks on...'
- Do you use the internet for professional purposes?'
- Do you use the internet on the go?'
- Which of the following online activities do you do via a smartphone at least once per month?
- Which of the following things have you done on a PC in the past 4 weeks?
- Which of the following things have you done on a laptop/detachable/convertible in the past 4 weeks?
- Which of the following things have you done on a tablet in the past 4 weeks?
- Which of the following internet browsers do you use at least once a month?
- Have you installed Adobe Flash Player, Adobe Acrobat Reader or Java on at least one of your devices (private or work)?'
- Where do you use WiFi?
- Who do you provide access to your home WiFi to?
- Is your WiFi at home password protected?'
- To be precise: Which of the following devices in your household can be controlled via the internet?
- When I buy technical devices that I want to connect to my home WiFi,...
- Which Internet Service Provider (ISP) does your household currently use as its MAIN supplier at home?'
- Please choose all that apply.
- From which provider is your privately used cloud service?
- From which provider is your professionally used cloud service?
- Do you use the same cloud service for all work devices?'
- Do you use the same cloud service for all private devices?'
- For which of the following purposes do you use cloud services?
- What is the biggest advantage for you in the use of cloud services?'
- Please indicate to what extent you agree with the following statements about the use of cloud services: / Since I use cloud services I do not have to worry about losing data because all files are stored in secure central data locations.'
- Please indicate to what extent you agree with the following statements about the use of cloud services: / By using cloud services I save time.'
- Please indicate to what extent you agree with the following statements about the use of cloud services: / By using cloud services I save money.'
- Please indicate to what extent you agree with the following statements about the use of cloud services: / When I use cloud services I ask myself what the operator is doing with my data.'
- Please indicate to what extent you agree with the following statements about the use of cloud services: / I worry about my personal data when I use cloud services.'
- Please indicate to what extent you agree with the following statements about the use of cloud services:
- What do you consider a reasonable annual price for a cloud service that meets your requirements?
- What do you consider a reasonable annual price for a cloud security programme that meets your requirements?
- Does using cloud services make you more security conscious regarding your personal data?'
- How old are you?
- What is your gender?'
- Which race / ethnicity best describes you?'
- Are you of Hispanic, Latino or Spanish origin?'
- What is the highest level of education you have completed?'
- What is your marital status?'
- Which of the following categories best describes your current employment status?'
- How many people – including yourself and all children – permanently live in your household?'
- How many children and teenagers below 14 years of age permanently live in your household, no matter if they are your natural children or not?'
- How big is the town you live in?'
- In what type of community do you live?'
- Where do you currently live?'
- How much total combined money do all members of your household earn annually?This includes money from jobs net income from business, farm, or rent pensions dividends interest social security payments and any other money income received by members of your'
More than 7,500
- Cyber security in the Netherlands Cyber security in the Netherlands
- Health care and cyber securityHealth care and cyber security
- Business cyber security in the United Kingdom (UK)Business cyber security in the United Kingdom (UK)
- Cyber crime and cyber security in the United Kingdom (UK)Cyber crime and cyber security in the United Kingdom (UK)
- Cyber crime in SpainCyber crime in Spain
- Value of the cyber security market in Sweden in 2017, by product segmentValue of the cyber security market in Sweden in 2017, by product segment
- Prioritized cyber security topics in organizations in Sweden 2018Prioritized cyber security topics in organizations in Sweden 2018
- Average investment in cyber security by businesses in the UK 2018, by sectorAverage investment in cyber security by businesses in the UK 2018, by sector
- Cyber security training development among physicians and their practices 2017Cyber security training development among physicians and their practices 2017
- Average investment in cyber security by United Kingdom (UK) businesses 2018, by sizeAverage investment in cyber security by United Kingdom (UK) businesses 2018, by size
Statista is a great source of knowledge, and pretty helpful to manage the daily work.
Christof Baron about Statista CEO, MindShare Germany
Any more questions?
Get in touch with us quickly and easily. We are happy to help!
Download your Report
New Dossier: Fintech in Italy
The Fintech sector in Italy is developing steadily. Thanks to young entrepreneurs and new platforms, Fintech is gaining recognition as an alternative and as a complement to the traditional financial system. This dossier presents an overview about the scale and ambitions of this innovative sector.
Statista survey on the U.S. motorcycle market
With a market share of 31% Harley-Davidson is the top-dog on the U.S motorcycle market. On top of that the U.S. manufacturer can prevail against the competition in terms of customer loyalty and brand image. Find out which brands come close to the market leader in the Statista motorcycle Report.
Updated Industry Reports France available now!
Statista has updated its 41 Industry Reports for France with the most recent data. They feature statistics, forecasts, survey results, and analyses in a form that is easy to read and adopt. Understand and assess industries with a report that includes the most important key figures!
New Study: The Brexit Factbook
With the UK set to leave the EU in March next year and negotiations stalling, the chance of a no-deal Brexit is increasing. The Brexit Factbook combines the most important statistics about the UK exiting the EU from the lead-up to the referendum to the economic, financial and political consequences.
New Dossier: Avocado market in Latin America
Latin America is one of the main regions producing avocados, a large share of which are exported to the U.S. and Europe. This dossier provides key information about the avocado’s agricultural production, cultivation area, imports and exports in countries such as Brazil, Mexico, Chile, and Colombia.
New Dossier: Gig economy in the U.S.
The gig economy is a section of the economy which consists of independent contractors and freelancers who perform temporary, flexible jobs. This dossier provides key data on the gig economy in the United States, including information on income and earnings, and access to benefits.
New Dossier: Food trends in the Netherlands
From organic and sustainable food to ‘free from’ products and alternative diets: this new Statista dossier about food trends in the Netherlands covers all you might want to know about what is hot and happening in the Dutch food market.
New Dossier: Direct selling market worldwide
The direct selling market refers to a business model in which products are sold without a 'Brick and Mortar' retail establishment, such as online or person-to-person. This dossier provides key data about this market, with a focus on the United States and the leading companies, such as Amway.
New Dossier: E-commerce in Argentina
Argentina is the second largest e-commerce market in Latin America as of 2017. This dossier provides key information about the different aspects of the e-commerce market in Argentina, including the main retailers, customers, mobile commerce, and more.
New Dossier: Mobile device usage in Belgium
Recent studies showed that Belgium has the highest prices when it comes to mobile data in Europe, with Proximus, Orange and Telenet as the main actors in this market. This dossier provides information on two of these main players and also features data on mobile commerce, video and apps.
New Topic page: Chinese tourism in Europe
China’s travel boom has had a notable impact across the global tourism industry, not least in Europe where China is recognized as a key visitor market. This topic page and accompanying dossier highlights the rising number of Chinese tourists in Europe and the main destinations they are heading to.
New Topic Page: Trade across the Irish border
With the UK making plans to leave the EU, it is still uncertain about how this will affect trade across the UK's only land border, the Irish border. This topic highlights the importance of cross border trade and discusses how firms across Ireland are anticipating Brexit to impact their businesses.
Global Industry Reports available now!
Statista now offers industry insights from a global perspective for 34 industries. The reports provide crucial information on the trends moving all major industries. Get a bird’s-eye view on your industry, complete with all essential data, KPIs, and exclusive Statista data.
New Smart TV Industry Whitepaper
Statista Research and Analysis, in cooperation with Chinese smart TV manufacturer TCL Multimedia and its subsidiary FFalcon Technology, is going to present a new white paper on the global Smart TV industry on September 15th, 2018 during the International Broadcasting Convention (IBC) in Amsterdam.
New Dossier: Electric vehicles in Italy
Is Italy speeding up on electric mobility or is the next charging point still too far away? Have a deeper look into the topic with this new dossier. Statista provides an overview on the market situation and customer attitudes around e-mobility in this country so passionate about cars.
New Topic Page: Brexit negotiations
With an October deadline looming and an unpopular proposal in hand, time is running out for Theresa May to secure a deal with the European Union. This topic highlights some the main issues standing in the way of a deal and explores how the British public have reacted to the ongoing political drama.
New Dossier: eSports in the Benelux region
Revenue might still pale in comparison to other sports, but the recent growth of electronic sports, or eSports, has been immense. This dossier analyzes the popularity of video games and digital games in the Netherlands and the attitude shown towards the trend of online gaming.
New topic page: Organic cosmetics in the UK
As consumers become aware of the potentially harmful ingredients used in conventional beauty products, many are seeking green alternatives which pose a lesser risk to the skin and the environment. This topic page provides an overview of natural and organic cosmetic sales and UK consumer attitudes.