Topics of the survey
- Security and Risks
- Hacking and Identity Theft
- Internet Usage
- Internet Acess
Design of the survey
- Method: Online Survey
- Survey name: Cybersecurity US 2018
- Region: U.S.
- Number of respondents: 1,011
- Age of respondents: 18 years and older
- Type of respondents: U.S. residental online population
- Survey time period: 12th to 17th of Oktober 2018
- Houeshold Income
- Subjective personal protection on the internet
- Up-to-date antivirus programme and up-to-date firewall existing
- Cloud service usage
- Which of the following devices do you regularly use for work purposes?
- Which brand is your work laptop/detachable/convertible?'
- Which operating system does your work laptop/detachable/convertible run on?'
- Which brand is your work PC?'
- Which operating system does your work PC run on?'
- Which brand is your work tablet?'
- Which operating system does your work tablet run on?'
- Which brand is your work smartphone?'
- Which operating system does your work phone run on?'
- Which brand is your work printer?'
- Which of the following devices do you regularly use for private purposes?
- Which brand is your private laptop/detachable/convertible?'
- Which operating system does your private laptop/detachable/convertible run on?'
- Which brand is your private PC?'
- Which operating system does your private PC run on?'
- Which brand is your private tablet?'
- Which operating system does your private tablet run on?'
- Which brand is your private smartphone?'
- Which operating system does your private smartphone run on?'
- Which brand is your private printer?'
- How many devices do you use in total? (We are referring to the total of all privately and/or professionally used PCs, laptops, detachables, convertibles, tablets, smartphones and printers)
- Do you use your private devices for work purposes as well?'
- Do you use your work devices for private purposes as well?'
Security and Risks
- How safe do you consider the internet in general when it comes to personal data?'
- How safe do you currently feel when you are on the internet?'
- How well do you personally protect yourself on the internet?'
- Which of the risks related to the use of the internet are you aware of?
- What would be the two worst things that could happen to you online?
- What have you personally or people in your near surroundings already experienced online?
- Please choose two behaviours out of the following list that you think are especially risky.
- In comparison to the risk of falling victim to cyber crime,... / ...the risk of becoming a victim of theft is'
- In comparison to the risk of falling victim to cyber crime,... / ...the risk of becoming a victim of fraud is'
- In comparison to the risk of falling victim to cyber crime,... / ...the risk of becoming a victim in a traffic accident is'
- Who should be mainly responsible for internet safety in your opinion?'
- Should you ever become a victim of internet crime, who would you expect to receive compensation from, despite the actual perpetrator?'
- Which of the following protective measures do you take?
- Which further protective measures do you take?
- Which authentication methods do you use to protect your data and devices?
- For which devices do you use such authentication methods?
- In your opinion, what is the strongest argument against using biometric authentification (e.g. fingerprints, face recognition, iris scanners, voice recognition)?'
- Which brand of protective software (e.g anti-virus software packages) do you think is most well known?'
- Which brand of protective software do you trust most?'
- Where should the provider of a protective software that you buy be based?'
- From which provider is the protective software that you use for business purposes?'
- From which provider is the protective software that you use for private purposes?'
- Against which risks did you primarily want to protect yourself when you got your protective software?
- What payment method do you use for your software?'
- How much money have you spent on protective software in the past year?
- How much would you be prepared to pay per year for all your protection measures on the internet?
- Is the access to your devices secured by an authentication procedure (e.g. a password)?'
- Do you use individual passwords for every device?'
- Do you use different passwords for every online service?'
- Have you changed your password for any of the following services in the past 12 months?
- Do you use a password manager?'
- Could you imagine using a password manager?'
- Which password managers do you know?
- Which password manager do you use?'
Hacking and Identity Theft
- Have you ever been hacked?'
- What was hacked?
- Which of these social media accounts / messengers was hacked?
- Have you ever been subject to identity theft, i.e. has anyone ever misused your personal data and caused you damage?
- The government should...
- The cyber attacks that scare me most are attacks on...'
- Do you use the internet for professional purposes?'
- Do you use the internet on the go?'
- Which of the following online activities do you do via a smartphone at least once per month?
- Which of the following things have you done on a PC in the past 4 weeks?
- Which of the following things have you done on a laptop/detachable/convertible in the past 4 weeks?
- Which of the following things have you done on a tablet in the past 4 weeks?
- Which of the following internet browsers do you use at least once a month?
- Have you installed Adobe Flash Player, Adobe Acrobat Reader or Java on at least one of your devices (private or work)?'
- Where do you use WiFi?
- Who do you provide access to your home WiFi to?
- Is your WiFi at home password protected?'
- To be precise: Which of the following devices in your household can be controlled via the internet?
- When I buy technical devices that I want to connect to my home WiFi,...
- Which Internet Service Provider (ISP) does your household currently use as its MAIN supplier at home?'
- Please choose all that apply.
- From which provider is your privately used cloud service?
- From which provider is your professionally used cloud service?
- Do you use the same cloud service for all work devices?'
- Do you use the same cloud service for all private devices?'
- For which of the following purposes do you use cloud services?
- What is the biggest advantage for you in the use of cloud services?'
- Please indicate to what extent you agree with the following statements about the use of cloud services: / Since I use cloud services I do not have to worry about losing data because all files are stored in secure central data locations.'
- Please indicate to what extent you agree with the following statements about the use of cloud services: / By using cloud services I save time.'
- Please indicate to what extent you agree with the following statements about the use of cloud services: / By using cloud services I save money.'
- Please indicate to what extent you agree with the following statements about the use of cloud services: / When I use cloud services I ask myself what the operator is doing with my data.'
- Please indicate to what extent you agree with the following statements about the use of cloud services: / I worry about my personal data when I use cloud services.'
- Please indicate to what extent you agree with the following statements about the use of cloud services:
- What do you consider a reasonable annual price for a cloud service that meets your requirements?
- What do you consider a reasonable annual price for a cloud security programme that meets your requirements?
- Does using cloud services make you more security conscious regarding your personal data?'
- How old are you?
- What is your gender?'
- Which race / ethnicity best describes you?'
- Are you of Hispanic, Latino or Spanish origin?'
- What is the highest level of education you have completed?'
- What is your marital status?'
- Which of the following categories best describes your current employment status?'
- How many people – including yourself and all children – permanently live in your household?'
- How many children and teenagers below 14 years of age permanently live in your household, no matter if they are your natural children or not?'
- How big is the town you live in?'
- In what type of community do you live?'
- Where do you currently live?'
- How much total combined money do all members of your household earn annually?This includes money from jobs net income from business, farm, or rent pensions dividends interest social security payments and any other money income received by members of your'
More than 7,500
- Cyber security in the Netherlands Cyber security in the Netherlands
- Health care and cyber securityHealth care and cyber security
- Cyber crime and cyber security in the United Kingdom (UK)Cyber crime and cyber security in the United Kingdom (UK)
- Cyber crime in SpainCyber crime in Spain
- Cyber security of companies in the United Kingdom (UK)Cyber security of companies in the United Kingdom (UK)
- Leading tech companies' data security patent application activity 2013-2017Leading tech companies' data security patent application activity 2013-2017
- Cyber security market revenues worldwide 2017-2023Cyber security market revenues worldwide 2017-2023
- Prioritized cyber security topics in organizations in Sweden 2018Prioritized cyber security topics in organizations in Sweden 2018
- Value of the cyber security market in Sweden in 2017, by product segmentValue of the cyber security market in Sweden in 2017, by product segment
- Average investment in cyber security by businesses in the UK 2018, by sectorAverage investment in cyber security by businesses in the UK 2018, by sector
Statista is a great source of knowledge, and pretty helpful to manage the daily work.
Christof Baron about Statista CEO, MindShare Germany
Any more questions?
Get in touch with us quickly and easily. We are happy to help!
Download your Report
Exclusive data available through OAAA partnership
Statista releases new exclusive OOH advertising data from the Outdoor Advertising Association of America (OAAA).
New Topic: No-deal Brexit
On January 15, 2019 the British Parliament is set to vote on Theresa May’s Brexit deal. The vote is perilously close to the departure date of March 29, and should it be rejected, a no-deal Brexit is the default scenario. This topic looks at the implications that a no-deal Brexit could have on the UK
E-Commerce Spain: Online Stores Ranking Update
Did you know that the top 3 online stores in Spain achieved a market share of over 20 percent in 2017? Understand the e-commerce market in Spain and get to know the top online stores. eCommerceDB offers detailed online store profiles with key data on the largest ecommerce players worldwide.
European Banking Sector
This extended statistical dossier takes an in-depth look at the current health of the European banking sector as well as its ability to meet the demands of a digital future.
New Dossier: Latin American Online Shopping Events
With consistent growth in recent years, e-commerce is rapidly becoming a part of the shopping culture in Latin America. Often offering important discounts, online shopping events represent a major push to online sales in the region.
Updated Brexit analysis available now!
Statista has updated its outline of potential impacts of the Brexit on UK industries, which is included in our 41 UK Industry Reports. Furthermore, the reports feature statistics, forecasts, survey results, and analyses in a form that is easy to read and adopt.
New Dossier: Digital Marketing in Italy
Italian enterprises invest significantly in digital marketing to enhance their presence, yet the potential strategies to follow are extremely diverse. This dossier presents key aspects of the industry according to professionals and marketers, including new trends in content and e-mail marketing.
Statista European Football Benchmark
The European Football Benchmark compares the big 5 European leagues. Find out which league and club have the largest foreign fan potential? Who are the biggest stars? And how expensive it is to be a fan? Read all this and more with Statista’s report: “European Football Benchmark – the big 5 leagues”
New metric unit: Payments in eCommerce
The payment options available for eCommerce customers have long moved beyond simple cash or card payments. The Digital Market Outlook now offers an analysis of payment methods used by customers in online shopping in 50 countries and forecasts for this metric unit up to 2023.
New Dossier: Foreign conflicts of Saudi Arabia
Recently, the kingdom of Saudi Arabia has faced some foreign political challenges with its Middle Eastern neighbors. The kingdom's current conflicts with Yemen, Iran, Qatar, and Turkey are all different in their nature, however, they all bear consequences for the geopolitical dynamic of the region.
New Dossier: Fintech in Italy
The Fintech sector in Italy is developing steadily. Thanks to young entrepreneurs and new platforms, Fintech is gaining recognition as an alternative and as a complement to the traditional financial system. This dossier presents an overview about the scale and ambitions of this innovative sector.
Statista survey on the U.S. motorcycle market
With a market share of 31% Harley-Davidson is the top-dog on the U.S motorcycle market. On top of that the U.S. manufacturer can prevail against the competition in terms of customer loyalty and brand image. Find out which brands come close to the market leader in the Statista motorcycle Report.
Updated Industry Reports France available now!
Statista has updated its 41 Industry Reports for France with the most recent data. They feature statistics, forecasts, survey results, and analyses in a form that is easy to read and adopt. Understand and assess industries with a report that includes the most important key figures!
New Study: The Brexit Factbook
With the UK set to leave the EU in March next year and negotiations stalling, the chance of a no-deal Brexit is increasing. The Brexit Factbook combines the most important statistics about the UK exiting the EU from the lead-up to the referendum to the economic, financial and political consequences.
New Dossier: Avocado market in Latin America
Latin America is one of the main regions producing avocados, a large share of which are exported to the U.S. and Europe. This dossier provides key information about the avocado’s agricultural production, cultivation area, imports and exports in countries such as Brazil, Mexico, Chile, and Colombia.