Online Dating - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about online dating
Online dating is no longer seen as a last attempt for the desperate and lonely to find their soul mate. The stigma is beginning to dissipate as 87 percent of single American males believe that online dating is now socially acceptable, a belief that also 83 percent of female dating site users agreed with. Furthermore, more men use online dating sites and online dating apps than women. Alongside gender, household income also introduces some interesting figures on the demographic of online dating users. Those with a household income of 50,000 to 74,999 USD being the largest share of online dating site users of any other income at 15 percent.
Current online dating site users explained their reasons for using online dating sites or apps with answers that included finding someone for a long term relationship or even marriage (46 percent of respondents) and the chance to meet people who just want to have fun (25 percent). According to another recent survey of dating site users, 66 percent of U.S. singles used online dating to expand their dating pool. Other common reasons for using online dating sites or apps were the pre-screening of dates as well as easier conversation.
In 2015, the leading dating website in the United States with global audiences was Match.com with 35 million unique monthly visitors, dominating the industry ahead of its nearest rivals PlentyOfFish with 23 million visitors and Zoosk in third place with 11.4 million visitors. As of the third quarter of 2015, the Match Group had 4.18 million paid dating subscribers across all its platforms. However, it is not just about the numbers of people clicking on and scrolling for potential partners. Success rates speak for themselves with 8 percent of 18-29 year olds admitting to being in a committed relationship with a spouse or partner they met online, the highest success rate of any other age group.
Picture: istockphoto.com / leminuit
|«Online dating is socially acceptable»||85%||Details →|
|U.S. singles: «Online dating expands my dating pool»||94%||Details →|
|Share of male adults in the U.S. who have used online dating sites||14%||Details →|
|Share of U.S. adults aged 25-34 who have used online dating sites||17%||Details →|
- U.S. online dating site and mobile dating app usage 2014, by ageU.S. online dating site and mobile dating app usage 2014, by age
Online dating site and mobile dating app usage among U.S. internet users as of June 2014, by age
- The Match Group: dating revenue 2012-2014, by regionThe Match Group: dating revenue 2012-2014, by region
Dating revenue of the Match Group from 2012 to 2014, by region (in million U.S. dollars)
- The Match Group: quarterly paid dating subscribers 2013-2015The Match Group: quarterly paid dating subscribers 2013-2015
Number of paid dating subscribers registered to the Match Group from 1st quarter 2013 to 3rd quarter 2015 (in 1,000s)
- Tinder: distribution of U.S. users 2015, by age+Tinder: distribution of U.S. users 2015, by age
Distribution of Tinder users in the United States as of June 2015, by age group
- Internet users who used online dating on a computer in the U.S. 2016+Internet users who used online dating on a computer in the U.S. 2016
Number of internet users who used online dating on a computer within the last month in the United States from autumn 2013 to spring 2016 (in millions)
- Premium rate service (PRS) user: usage frequency of dating services in the UK 2014+Premium rate service (PRS) user: usage frequency of dating services in the UK 2014
How frequently have you used dating or flirt chat service over the last 12 months?
- Top 15 most frequently visited websites in Sweden 2017Top 15 most frequently visited websites in Sweden 2017
- Global social networks ranked by number of users 2017Global social networks ranked by number of users 2017
- Instagram: video and image post user interactions 2016, by profile sizeInstagram: video and image post user interactions 2016, by profile size
- Daily media usage in Sweden 2016, by mediumDaily media usage in Sweden 2016, by medium
- Average time spent per day with media in Sweden 2016Average time spent per day with media in Sweden 2016